How the hell do I write hi hat lines like this?!

CowboyClyde

I want to be able to emulate hi hat lines like this song!

Starts right at the 1:00.

People say, just try and copy exactly what you here, but something like this is so random and crazy. It would be a waste of my time (not to mention, damn near impossible) to try and pencil in exactly every single note this guy is playing....

How are hi hats written like this? What techniques do you guys use to come up with crazy patterns like this?

Well, I know that trap artists probably actually understand how to do it correctly, but for me I just click in fast notes and fix it until it sounds good. There are no good tutorials on just making those kinds of hat patterns.

So, my technique is to just draw in shit and see what sticks.

starts with triplet 16ths then 32nd-32nd-16th repeated pattern then a sequence of 32nds and then reuses each of the gestures throughout the next 25 seconds

^That's pretty much it - wouldn't be surprised if this guy is using the "note roll" feature found on some controllers...

I'm sure what ever program you use has some sort of arpeggiator. With that you can **** with a whole bunch of raw sequences. To get that sort of trap style your talking about I'd mess around with dotted and triplet based grooves.

Back