How do you make a melody with a synth ?

Melody means rhythm and pitch, so it is generally a horizontal movement, meaning mostly notes. However, your melody should your reflect the chords you are using in your track, if only to ensure that any dissonances (off-sounding notes) are intentional rather than accidental.

See bandcoach dot org for some tutes on writing melodies

creating melodies and preventing instrumental from sounding clutterd?

ok im trying to figure out how to keep my lead melodies and secondary melodies (backing or counters)from clashing?

i usually start my music with the chord progression now

my bassline and low ends allways follow the progression notes which is always pretty good
sounding then i do my lead melodie in the key of the song with the proper scale

most of the time now i get good melodies since i been learning theory its just really
hard for me to do a backing melodie becuase i usually try to use they same scale
and it sounds cluttered sometimes now i was wondering was my lengths the reason for
this? like if my lead is half notes should my backing be say 8th notes or quarter etc etc etc

does my lengths have effect on the clutter

ok im trying to figure out how to keep my lead melodies and secondary melodies (backing or counters)from clashing?

i usually start my music with the chord progression now

my bassline and low ends allways follow the progression notes which is always pretty good
sounding then i do my lead melodie in the key of the song with the proper scale

most of the time now i get good melodies since i been learning theory its just really
hard for me to do a backing melodie becuase i usually try to use they same scale
and it sounds cluttered sometimes now i was wondering was my lengths the reason for
this? like if my lead is half notes should my backing be say 8th notes or quarter etc etc etc

does my lengths have effect on the clutter

This is a great question and cuts to the heart of arranging: Melody versus counter-melody (main melody vs backing melody)

The rule of thumb offered by most authors on arranging is that when a melody has quick notes the counter-melody has long notes and vice versa.

So, yes, your question also contains the answer: some folks arrive at this realisation for themselves others need to be guided to it others just need to be told it is OK to do it.

Auditory Scene Analysis also suggests that it is hard for us to comprehend more than two lines of melodic material at any one time unless we are specially trained to do so, so add in your pads/chords/percussion and bass, and it becomes likely that you will find it hard to cope with following two busy melody lines as well.

@10ndaYii yes you use the notes in the scale this is a c-major scale here C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

you would use all the notes above

and you dont have to start on the key of c to still be in scale of c-major

just play what works and sound good atleast thats what i do just work with those

notes for scales help google chord house piano all info there love that site

Just experiment with creating melodies man, and as for your first post about making melodies with simple chords, splitting them apart will create arpeggios, you can have them ascend or descend and repeat or mix it up however you imagine will sound good.

Making a melody on a keyboard is simple - you just plonk away on individual notes until something sounds good. It's actually more difficult NOT to write a melody on the keyboard than it is to make one. I'm sure a lot of great music began with someone making a nice pattern with a few of the white keys.

i always make an 'individual note' melody FIRST!

than i'll copy the notes in the piano roll and go up and down in key till i hear a nice chord.
if i like the chord better than the individual note melody, i keep the 2 note-chord.

than i copy the melody again and go up and down in key again till i hear a good 3 note-chord.
if i like the 3 note-chord better than the 2-note chord, i keep the 3 note-chord.

That's how i build my chords. everything is just testing but it always starts with the individual note melody.

if i got good chords, i go in a higher keyrange and make a individual note melody on top of it.

Last edited:
I think everyone has his own method. I just get it in my Head, and then I play it on my Midi Controller ;)

Back