D major and e minor

NYJ

i got a synth playing in D major and a 808 playing in E minor and it sounds hot together,but when i put the 808 in d minor it is not hot at all,how is this possible,for years i have been taught to always tune the 808 and play in the same key as the synths,and this has happended more than once when making beats,please explain

I am going to take your question at face value (i.e.my answer could be wrong because I do not have audio to support my explanation or to even develop my explanation from).

The combination of E minor and D major gives us an extended chord to the 11th - E-G-B-D-F#-A - Em11

The combination of E minor and D minor gives us an extended chord to the 11th - E-G-B-D-F-A - Em11b9

The F in the D minor is too close to the pitch of the E in the E minor this will cause undue clashing and beating in the overtone series - it creates a dim5th/aug4th between the B and the F and all other sorts of nasty surprises the higher up the overtone series we go.

I know you're going to say something about the F# in the D major having the same problem with the G in E minor - but as it is a colour tone (both the F# and the G) away from the root note of E it is not as big a deal as a close clashing with the E. Also B and F# are a perfect 4th/5th apart ad so do not create any other clashes

Last edited:
no i'm actually not that advanced,but is it possible to just get lucky with the sounds,nothing sounds like it's clashing.it just sounds hot

it's always possible to get lucky, just as it is possible to hit a loser as you point out

Yea not to steal ur thread I have alot of 808 samples that are G# I know you get the most power out of a 808 when its in that key and I love the tone of it what other keys can I write in so it doesnt sound off any key that has G# in it or should you just go by your ear?

Back