Can someone provide chord progression for new Frank Ocean - Pyramids?

OK,

first things first - he is most definitely using a set of samples that have been stretched and detuned, which makes this harder to be accurate.

that said, I get something like this

Cm - B[sup]b[/sup] - A[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[sup]b[/sup]9[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - Am - G - F[sup]Maj7[/sup] - Em[sup]7[sup]b[/sup]9[/sup]

ChordNotesVoicing used
CmC-E[sup]b[/sup]-GC[sub]2[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]-E[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]
B[sup]b[/sup]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-FB[sup]b[/sup][sub]1[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]-D[sub]4[/sub]-F[sub]4[/sub]
A[sup]bmaj7[/sup]A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]-GA[sup]b[/sup][sub]1[/sub]-C[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-E[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-G[sub]4[/sub]
Gm[sup]7[sup]b[/sup]9[/sup]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A[sup]b[/sup]G[sub]1[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]-A[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]-B[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]-D[sub]4[/sub]
Gm[sup]7[/sup]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-FG[sub]1[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-Bb[sub]3[/sub]-D[sub]4[/sub]
AmA-C-EA[sub]1[/sub]-E[sub]3[/sub]-A[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]
GG-B-DG[sub]1[/sub]-D[sub]3[/sub]-B[sub]3[/sub]-D[sub]4[/sub]
F[sup]Maj7[/sup]F-A-C-EF[sub]1[/sub]-C[sub]3[/sub]-A[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]-E[sub]4[/sub]
Em[sup]7[sup]b[/sup]9[/sup]E-G-B-D-FE[sub]1[/sub]-D[sub]3[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-B[sub]3[/sub]

Performance/programming note - if you use FL then you need to add 2 to each of the subscripts above. C[sub]3[/sub] is middle C but in FL it is indicated as C[sub]5[/sub], for no other reason than that they start at C[sub]0[/sub] and move upwards, whereas every other producer of MIDI based software start at C[sub]-2[/sub] and move up (because C[sub]0[/sub] is closer to the bottom-most note of the piano keyboard)

Also note that the detuning is not quite accurate as it is moved down a minor 3rd by the time we get to Am..... giving the tones in the chord a wider dispersion than they would get if played live, i.e. they are further apart in pure Hz terms than they would normally be. This gives it an extra openness that can't be achieved by directly playing the chords as indicated.

Last edited:
Wow man, incredible response. Really appreciate the in-depth analysis. Gonna try this when I have some time later.

Chord Sequence

Okay this is what I got for the intro

Fm
D[SUP]b[/SUP][SUP]maj9[/SUP] - D[SUP]b[/SUP] FA[SUP]b[/SUP] CE[SUP]b[/SUP]
B[SUP]badd9 [/SUP]- emphasis on the C. the notes i can hear are B[SUP]b [/SUP]C D & F
B[SUP]b9[/SUP] - so B[SUP]b [/SUP]D F A[SUP]b [/SUP]C

:bigeyes:

Okay this is what I got for the intro

Fm
D[SUP]b[/SUP][SUP]maj9[/SUP] - D[SUP]b[/SUP] FA[SUP]b[/SUP] CE[SUP]b[/SUP]
B[SUP]badd9 [/SUP]- emphasis on the C. the notes i can hear are B[SUP]b [/SUP]C D & F
B[SUP]b9[/SUP] - so B[SUP]b [/SUP]D F A[SUP]b [/SUP]C

:bigeyes:

So is that the start of pyramids or the start of the shorter piece at Video: Frank Ocean, “Channel Orange – TV” « The FADER ???

I'd also point out that it is taken from a Tangerine Dream album, Phaedra or very similar from the mid 1970's, it has that very analog sequencer sound to it

So is that the start of pyramids or the start of the shorter piece
I'd also point out that it is taken from a Tangerine Dream album, Phaedra or very similar from the mid 1970's, it has that very analog sequencer sound to it

It's from the start of pyramids

Back