Very asymmetrical room help please!

andymac24

Hey guys! This is only my second post, this place is fantastic.

So anyway I just moved back home after uni and my bedroom is very assymetrical and awkward but rent and food are free so I just have to make do!
I attach a diagram of the room including where I imagined the best place for the desk to be (because it's the only somewhat symmetrical bit of the room ie wall on either side). I wonder if anybody could advise me if this is indeed the best place for the desk? And then where and what kind of wall treatment I may need. I do intend to be both recording and mixing. Basically how would you use the room?
No need to worry about damaging the walls with screws or what have you. The wall opposite the desk in the picture all the way along is vertical until halfway up then slopes into the room so the actual flat ceiling space isn't very large at all.

My Room.jpg

All advice very much appreciated, thankyou!

I'd rearrange it like this

strangeRoom.png

Last edited:
Ok. and how would you treat it? A very respectable member on another forum suggested putting it against the left wall but I explained that's the only place I can't put it because that leaves no room for the bed. It seems like where you suggest is a bit less symmetrical both on the sides and behind where I would be sitting, is that not disadvantageous?

Wow what a nightmare shape room, lol

A few pointers:

Its always better have the monitors pointing down the length of your room.
The best listening position is 38% of the longest wall from the front (or the back) wall.
Try to avoid having monitors too close to the wall.
Alcoves can act as bass boom boxes
Windows can allow low frequency energy to pass through helping with standing waves

Personally i would put a curtain up where the window is efectively cutting off the alcove.
I would do the same with the closet section
I would put my desk where the drawers are in your original picture
I would leave the bed where it is in your orignal picture
Put the drawers where the desk is in your original picture and add a curtain there also

By the way curtains could be cool things like back drops :) - This wont add much in the way of absorption but it will help a little.

I would also learn REW software (Room EQ Wizard) and get an acoustic measurement mic (they are cheap) and take measurements then you will be able to deal with bas issues (as long as you get plenty of absorption and diffusion) and other acoustic issues.

A good set of headphones will help but are no substitute for a properly set up room with quality monitors and well thought out and measured acoustics.

Mark

Back