Tritonal - Now Or Never (Roulette Dare Remix): Trying to get that professional sheen

RouletteDare

Hey guys,

I've been producing since last summer and gradually learning my way toward a more professional end product with 9 tracks to my name so far. I'd love to hear any comments on my latest remix of Tritonal's track Now Or Never, especially with regard to the mix and master. Any ideas would be much appreciated and, of course, I'll be sure to return the favour!

Here's the track:

Thanks for the feedback. You left a great reference for me. I dont think there's anything I could help improve here. I'd put it on my iTunes haha. Keep it up man this is nice.

:)

Really cool blending of styles. I love the key change around 1:45.

Overall I feel that everything could be made to sound 'louder' (assuming that's what you want) to make it more commercially viable.
Try your hand at some more compression on individual tracks and subs.

I really like the feel of the track and nothing seems overdone, which is a common trait of 'new producers'.

You're well on your way to reaching a large fanbase. Keep it up!

- shane

Man, this already is some pretty professional sheen. This really does sound professional, the mix sounds perfect to me. keep it up man. By the way, the vocals are sweet, who is she?

Super stoked about all the positivity, cheers guys! But yeah Shane, I've been researching hard into compression and such but, despite dabbling with bus compression as well as individual compression on this remix for days, it still bounced around two dB quieter than, say, a Seven Lions track. It's really soul destroying, haha.

By the way, the vocals are sweet, who is she?

She's called Phoebe Ryan.

Dude, this is really good!!
I think the voice was a little loud in the first section.
Good arrangement, It makes alot of movement but its all very cohesive.
The reverbs are on point, It gave a nice space to it.
I think your snares could come up a bit, they get buried at times.
the mix/master sounds good. you could probably squeeze a little more volume out of it, but honestly, I wouldnt worry too much about that.

An definitely dont do this-

Overall I feel that everything could be made to sound 'louder' (assuming that's what you want) to make it more commercially viable.
Try your hand at some more compression on individual tracks and subs.

You dont need it. It'll only damage your current mix (parallel compression for drums aside).

:cheers:

But yeah Shane, I've been researching hard into compression and such but,

That's great! It really doesn't need much. I came back to have a listen after JGrisly seemed to disagree with my advice, but I still feel the same.
I just want you to get the most out of your mix (which is already pretty solid).

The biggest area that would benefit from any revisit (in my opinion) would be the Big Room style drop. (I assume Big Room was the inspiration from 1:47-2:18 with the long-tailed kick/simple rhythmic higher-register noises)
Also, some further attention to the vocals/ leads near the end would help them both shine equally through in the mix.

I said this before and I'll say it again, I really love the feel of this track. A little compression never hurt anyone (Well, maybe Metallica). I'm not advising destroying your sound by any means, but I'm sure you understood that. <3

Keep it up. If you ever run into any mixing hurdles that YouTube can't seem to solve for you, post some pictures of your mixer setup and ask for help!
I'm sure there are plenty of people here with knowledge and experience with mixing & mastering that will be glad to help. Whether we agree with each other, however, is a different question ;)

- shane

This is actually one of the best mixes I have heard its mastered perfectly and the breaks are amazing

@Shane - Yeah, definitely. I think the real deal-breaker were the peaky buildups and some of the sub kicks which could've done with a little more compressing to prevent the rest of the track from being toned down in the bounce.

@|1| - Cheers man!

Back