Goldfrapp - Ooh La La Marc Pittman of the Archangels Remix

wildinout8

Hey all,

This is one of my first attempts at creating a dance type song - I usually create Hip Hop, but have always been a fan of various dance styles.

Please let me know what you think, whether good or bad, and I will always return all feedback.

First of all, i like it. Its a catchy remix. The only problem i have with this song is the mix on the drums and bass. I think they sound a bit thin, and i think the hats could some lowpass filtering. To me, they sound a bit too high in frequency, and maybe a little bit too loud compared to the instruments and such. Its no problem for my ears, but i think that may help on the mix overall. Also i think the bass could be mixed a lil'bit thicker, but that may get fixed if you lower the hats somewhat. I really like the arrangement and your transitions though, and i think the track is nice.

Thx for your feedback on my thread

-S

I like it! I agree, the mix has a lot of high pass which would be nicely contrasted by some lower tones. Maybe it would sound more balanced if you have two extremes.

First of all, i like it. Its a catchy remix. The only problem i have with this song is the mix on the drums and bass. I think they sound a bit thin, and i think the hats could some lowpass filtering. To me, they sound a bit too high in frequency, and maybe a little bit too loud compared to the instruments and such. Its no problem for my ears, but i think that may help on the mix overall. Also i think the bass could be mixed a lil'bit thicker, but that may get fixed if you lower the hats somewhat. I really like the arrangement and your transitions though, and i think the track is nice.

Thx for your feedback on my thread

-S

I really appreciate the feedback! I typically produce hip hop tracks, so any pointers I can get on how to create more authentic and great sounding dance music is huge.

seems like vocals are getting a little lost especially in the 2:15 - 2:30 range. I would try to get them a little more forward in the mix. Your drums percussion get a little repetitive and robotic. Not sure how much swing/groove you have on them but it could use a little bit more I think. You could even introduce a new element like a subtle crash to maintain interest during breaks.

Kind of a dreamy, synth pop kinda feel to it though good job. Thx for the feedback on my track btw.

seems like vocals are getting a little lost especially in the 2:15 - 2:30 range. I would try to get them a little more forward in the mix. Your drums percussion get a little repetitive and robotic. Not sure how much swing/groove you have on them but it could use a little bit more I think. You could even introduce a new element like a subtle crash to maintain interest during breaks.

Kind of a dreamy, synth pop kinda feel to it though good job. Thx for the feedback on my track btw.

I appreciate the feedback and will be working on some drum fills and swing

Really digging this remix man, highs sound a bit tinny on my laptop speakers but yet to listen through my monitors, loving the sort of dreamy vibes i'm getting from this track dude, keep it up!

Really digging this remix man, highs sound a bit tinny on my laptop speakers but yet to listen through my monitors, loving the sort of dreamy vibes i'm getting from this track dude, keep it up!

I appreciate the feedback, YukFu, and will take a look at the high sounds

Really cool stuff man, cons first pros second.

It gets really repetitive, give the listener space.. the core pieces to the tune(chorus, versey thing etc) are great, give them to the audience sparingly and make sure they aren't desensitized to the beat by the time the key moments hit. Dont be afraid to have silence or weird sections that run counter to the rest of the tune.. it can keep things fresh. That bit where the vocals cut out around 3:05 and theres a synth moment isnt enough, it still feels much the same as the previous section..

I think there also needs to be more interesting turn around every 8 or 16 bars or whatever. there was a tom roll and a reverse cymbal right? Try do more in your turn around, break things up.

Also I think there's a slight tendency towards cheesy synths.. You could try switch up your synth sound design and go for more organic sounding synths( sample stuff or get tech with your synths) or keep a lid on the notation you use.. I dont know about this criticism though, its very subjective and that's just my opinion.

I agree with the previous opinions on mix and sound design. A bit thin and high.

On the positive side I think you have a rock solid core in this track. I also think your drums have a slight hip hop roughness I don't think iv heard much in dance stuff which I quite like. Keep bringing those influences across, its interesting.

Anyway take what I said with a grain of salt, im no expert but that's my two cents. Keep at it buddy :)

Last edited:
nice remix , what i have spotted and my thoughts :

the beat , drums are very repetitive , did you use the same samples / pattern for the whole track ? i have a feeling after first listening that you did
in my opinion if you want the drums to be repetive , you need the rest of the song to be really packed with stuff

the backing of the vocals seems too sparse in melody's , i had a feeling like i was venturing through a desert with sparse plants , wind , and some rocks , like you get the point : theres hudge amounts of space in the song not filled much with content / features

the song gots a great feel to it , and you got a talent man , just , i know from myself too , that i have a problem with maintaining variation in my tracks , and i know how it looks

so summing it up : work on variation and density of features in the track
it kinda feels awkward to say that , i m not used to giving feedback yet :)

anyways , thats my thoughts

would love your feedback on my track :)

Nice track man.

Its not really something i listen on a day to day basis, so i don't know much about the style or what, but sounds experimental electronic with a chilled vibe.

Only thing i would have to say is that it may be a bit too long.

Besides that, good job!

Very good for a first attempt at dancy beats :)

One thing i gotta ask though.... what is your secret for getting so many comments on your tracks on SC? Like... there is stuff there with play comments ratio higher than 50%, thats insane. I don't see that even for major accounts. Id really like to hear whats up :) pvt msg me any case

Nice track man.

Its not really something i listen on a day to day basis, so i don't know much about the style or what, but sounds experimental electronic with a chilled vibe.

Only thing i would have to say is that it may be a bit too long.

Besides that, good job!

Very good for a first attempt at dancy beats :)

One thing i gotta ask though.... what is your secret for getting so many comments on your tracks on SC? Like... there is stuff there with play comments ratio higher than 50%, thats insane. I don't see that even for major accounts. Id really like to hear whats up :) pvt msg me any case

Verace - check out your PM

Really cool stuff man, cons first pros second.

It gets really repetitive, give the listener space.. the core pieces to the tune(chorus, versey thing etc) are great, give them to the audience sparingly and make sure they aren't desensitized to the beat by the time the key moments hit. Dont be afraid to have silence or weird sections that run counter to the rest of the tune.. it can keep things fresh. That bit where the vocals cut out around 3:05 and theres a synth moment isnt enough, it still feels much the same as the previous section..

I think there also needs to be more interesting turn around every 8 or 16 bars or whatever. there was a tom roll and a reverse cymbal right? Try do more in your turn around, break things up.

Also I think there's a slight tendency towards cheesy synths.. You could try switch up your synth sound design and go for more organic sounding synths( sample stuff or get tech with your synths) or keep a lid on the notation you use.. I dont know about this criticism though, its very subjective and that's just my opinion.

I agree with the previous opinions on mix and sound design. A bit thin and high.

On the positive side I think you have a rock solid core in this track. I also think your drums have a slight hip hop roughness I don't think iv heard much in dance stuff which I quite like. Keep bringing those influences across, its interesting.

Anyway take what I said with a grain of salt, im no expert but that's my two cents. Keep at it buddy :)

Daym son this is the type of critique I like - honest, and even things I have been thinking myself, but tried to let slide off on the listener!

I will take a look at the track when I get home from work and def work on making the drums and sections less repetitive.

Also, thank you for checking out the whole song and noticing the little break down section I created...much respect.

Nice Remix, I love how the vocals creep in and the drums at the beginning, although they do get a bit repetitive. I also think that the base could be stronger, but overall a pretty good song.

I'm diggin it, just needs the issues the previous posters said about the percusion fixed. Otherwise nice work.

I appreciate the feedback from all and have made a few corrections most notably added some variations in the drum patterns being repetitive as well as some of the harsh high notes.

Got a kind of old school vibe going on with this track man, it's really awesome!

I'll try not to repeat too much of what has already been said:

Everyone hit the nail on the head with the thin-sound to the mix. It kinda feels like there's a "smiley face" EQ, if you know what I mean. Starting from the bottom up, you could try throwing some more harmonics in to your bass. (Or add another one with more harmonics). Add a touch of overdrive to shift a bit more of the track to the midrange.

Also, don't hold back on your snare, it's one of the main drivers of energy. It did well rhythm wise, but that low midrange presence is key on it. (I'm thinking 100-200hz. That's your punch range). It won't conflict with your kick since they hit at different times.

And I can't tell if you sidechained any of your synths in this track or not, but definitely put some more in!

But for being your first dance track, this is freakin sick, I loved it! Old school funky beat man. I think you should make more dance music if you feel up to it cuz you def have the talent to. The midrange is just something to focus on. And like others said, more variation is always good. I really liked the flare your hip hop background brought to the track though. It's something unique you got, so I'd say run with it.

Very nice production mate. I get some old-school vibes from this, very cool :)
Like mentioned, maybe dial down a bit on some of the highs.

Hey sounds great! The mixing and mastering sounds way better then what i could ever do! Anyways, is there a way I could contact u or anything? I could use help with mixing and mastering because there isnt really a good youtube video that can help me with that! thanks! :D

Back