It's A Bit Different But I Think It's Cool. Your Thoughts?

acetheface954

Hi Guys. I'm working on some southern style hip hop beats at the moment and wanted to hear your thoughts on this. Please judge based on arrangement, melody, quality, and it's appeal to today's hip hop scene. If you have something to critique let me know. Thank you.

HERE IS THE TRACK

REVISED MIX

Last edited:
The arrangement is fine, sounds fairly standard. Melodically the track is nice, you gave it a chord groove which is cool, nothing insanely out of the water or ground breaking.

The quality is where it gets a bit iffy for me. The mixing is good and the sounds fit together, but they're all pretty bland and overused. Like that rising alarm type thing you used to transition has probably been used thousands of times, along with the synth sound you used for the melody (im not saying the exact patch, but the sound it gives). Nothing is honestly bad about this track, but nothing is new.

The appeal to the hip hop scene changes over night, and it changes from things that are odd and new and exciting. If you stick with "i need to aim for popularity" you'll never be popular, because someone's already done it.

Overall the track is well mixed, well arranged, and well executed, but it feels like it's been done over and over.

The mixing is good and it definitely sounds professional enough to where it could possibly be used by a popular rapper, but the instruments you use sound kind of like stock presets that come with a daw. i feel like this track could be much improved if you used some unique instruments, that way instead of sounding like just another rap beat, it sounds like your rap beat you feel? good work overall though

here's my track if you wanna give me some feedback: https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/showcase-your-music-give-and-receive-feedback-/rap-chill-rap-boom-bap-trap-dirty-south-etc/f4f-new-beat-semblance-unique-samble-based-hip-hop-beat-515696/

Last edited:
Arrangement wise i i think its dope, there is always something changeing, while the core of the beat stays!
On some points the vocal sample gets quite loud (a bit too loud for my taste), but I guess that's just my opinion.
Honestly I can't find any flaws.

The arrangement is fine, sounds fairly standard. Melodically the track is nice, you gave it a chord groove which is cool, nothing insanely out of the water or ground breaking.

The quality is where it gets a bit iffy for me. The mixing is good and the sounds fit together, but they're all pretty bland and overused. Like that rising alarm type thing you used to transition has probably been used thousands of times, along with the synth sound you used for the melody (im not saying the exact patch, but the sound it gives). Nothing is honestly bad about this track, but nothing is new.

The appeal to the hip hop scene changes over night, and it changes from things that are odd and new and exciting. If you stick with "i need to aim for popularity" you'll never be popular, because someone's already done it.

Overall the track is well mixed, well arranged, and well executed, but it feels like it's been done over and over.

honestly I don't really try to make a ground sound for a track because the standard is what folks are familiar with. I hardly get an artist that says make something new and original. no it's always we're looking for stuff that drake or young thug raps over. I can stand out but I won't just quite yet. a little obscurity maybe but not much. the thing I worry about most is the mood of the record. the melody. so with that I have to agree with you on the synth. It really doesn't sit well with me so it must go.

The mixing is good and it definitely sounds professional enough to where it could possibly be used by a popular rapper, but the instruments you use sound kind of like stock presets that come with a daw. i feel like this track could be much improved if you used some unique instruments, that way instead of sounding like just another rap beat, it sounds like your rap beat you feel? good work overall though

here's my track if you wanna give me some feedback: https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/showcase-your-music-give-and-receive-feedback-/rap-chill-rap-boom-bap-trap-dirty-south-etc/f4f-new-beat-semblance-unique-samble-based-hip-hop-beat-515696/

you're right there is much to improve on indefinitely. that lead synth just doesn't have that oomph that I want. the drums are stock but I want to keep them because they sound familiar. the melody is already different so I wanted to have something identifiable for the listener. I don't want to be too different. it scares people lol

It sounds good. My only critique would be that the synths being used sounds very .. Idk preset like. Which is not a bad thing if it can be used creatively

Last edited:
It sounds good. My only critique would be that the synths being used sounds very .. Idk preset like. Which is not a bad thing if it can be used creatively

Personally I thought this was good. I'd add a bit of decay to the snare, and change the lead synth, it get's old real fast, but besides that it sounds dope. I don't really agree that it's not original, it has some kind of spacey vibe that you don't hear a lot.

absolutely. you both confirmed what I and others felt about the synths already so I thank you. I revised the track including the melody, decayed the snare a bit along with some gain reduction, reduced the gain on other sounds, and added a few FX here and there. it still feels too over the top for hip hop but then again it's still a work in progress and I'm trying to be a little different. dare to be different but not too different. the revision is below the you originally heard if you want to have another listen.

I'll check out your tunes as well.

I feel like the only thing really standing out in the mix is the kick, which is a start. I think the bass and the synths are the most glaring things that need beefing up - I feel like the bass isnt giving me the proper boom my ears want, and the synths are too thin, they aren't really driving the song like they should. The interlude in the middle is cool though, although with beefier sounds itll sound more stark and interesting.

Back