Is this cheap or cheating?

TDOT

Is it cheap to have someone sing little licks or accents to use as samples and then lay them on my beat? This way the tempo, pitch, timing and everything is smooth. Only problem occurs in tweaking the voice with effects if the person doesn't sing the greatest?
Anyone do this or done this?

For real, good looking on the response.
I always hum vocals over beats, so I wondered why don't I record and pitch it up or do something cool with the vocals and treat it like a sample. I can always picture the vision of what I would want it to sound like, but what are the chances you find something like that on a record...

Is it cheap to have someone sing little licks or accents to use as samples and then lay them on my beat? This way the tempo, pitch, timing and everything is smooth. Only problem occurs in tweaking the voice with effects if the person doesn't sing the greatest?

This sounds like a terrific plan - and has been done or more than one occasion - it is called vocalising and can be heard in one of Olivia Newton Johns tracks at the end of the 70's, where she is singing what would otherwise have been a stratospheric sax part or sax doubled with trumpet.

This sounds like a terrific plan - and has been done or more than one occasion - it is called vocalising and can be heard in one of Olivia Newton Johns tracks at the end of the 70's, where she is singing what would otherwise have been a stratospheric sax part or sax doubled with trumpet.

Thanks bandcoach, need to get to this immediately, thought this would be a good idea or at least something to try.

I want to make some hip hop beats with high pitched vocals, something like Heatmakerz would do except they get there vocals from samples, only thing is finding those songs that have those sweet vocal samples are to come across, if I could have someone sing and pitch it up do some tweaking that could work.

The Diplomats - I'm ready
just that simple vocal "I'm ready" that repeats itself sounds so nice yet so simple.

Thanks bandcoach, need to get to this immediately, thought this would be a good idea or at least something to try.

I want to make some hip hop beats with high pitched vocals, something like Heatmakerz would do except they get there vocals from samples, only thing is finding those songs that have those sweet vocal samples are to come across, if I could have someone sing and pitch it up do some tweaking that could work.

The Diplomats - I'm ready
just that simple vocal "I'm ready" that repeats itself sounds so nice yet so simple.

its a good idea, but in practice it doesn't work as well. a lot of the samples that producers use are chosen because of the performance, the i'm ready sample was sung really well originally. you can do it, but i just imagine a ton of FPers singing into their laptop mic's expecting some classic dipset

This is why they need to do it
  • to realise that it is not as simple as "I sing something and it is immediately dope"
  • too many people have been told for too long that they are geniuses when in fact they are morons or worse
  • the education system is partly at fault here ~ in an effort to avoid damaging litigation later in life ~ they have been passing these fools instead of failing them and making them repeat regardless of chronological or intellectual age.
  • reality needs to jump up and kick some of these people in the teeth multiple times until they get the message that they aren't as good as they think they are.......

Last edited:
Na I'm not even going for that DIP SET sound though, I just used it as an example, could have used any example. Any production with vocals.

And na I'm not talking going on my mic myself and singing garbage hooks, I'm talking people who can actually sing, and all those heat maker beats, the samples are pitched up, so it kind of takes away from the original performance in a sense.

Interesting that you have a completely different idea of what's cheap to me. I was expecting a thread about buying samples and constructing largely sample based tracks just to 'get stuff out there'. That, to me, is cheap.

Getting someone to do bespoke vocals is called making music.

I made a track by sampling a fruit bowl. Turned it into an instrument in Live with simpler. Very cheap. Also sounded very very good, and had a lot of texture. Better than most stuff you can buy.

Interesting that you have a completely different idea of what's cheap to me. I was expecting a thread about buying samples and constructing largely sample based tracks just to 'get stuff out there'. That, to me, is cheap.

Getting someone to do bespoke vocals is called making music.

I made a track by sampling a fruit bowl. Turned it into an instrument in Live with simpler. Very cheap. Also sounded very very good, and had a lot of texture. Better than most stuff you can buy.

Yea for sure, not into that. Construction kit loops and all of that other stuff is not really sampling IMO. The work is already done for you.

I really like that idea, I know what you mean though, I've seen people make songs recording sounds from toys or like you said kitchenware.

I just wanted people opinions, you get a lot of different views on here.

Very liberal, I never thought of something like that and would probably fail at it. It's a step above not cheating lol

Yea me personally I wouldn't sing, but I have a few girls who can, gonna try it. I've never recorded vocals, but I'm sure this technique could be very good if done well

Back