Anybody worried about not being able to sample anymore?

You know I have heard this argument many times before in the PAST and sampling much like Hiphop is still here!!! You don't want to get sued then pay for what you use!!! you don't want to be sued then get creative!! in this day and time who really use's a whole loop? with all the hardware and software products that can chop it up why would you bother? yes records will always be the foundation of Hip Hop and that will never change! I don't care where you get the mp3s from it all comes back to wax!! For all the new catts doing this more power to you but I wouldn't trade my records for your youtube/blog/mp3s or any other source of where you get your music from!! I will take my records smells and all... You can mangle sounds so much and or recreate them in a way that nobody (well maybe some of us) will know what it is..People claim they love music and it's thier life well then do what ever it is you have to do to make that heat!!..Like I previously stated Sampling aint going no where! and folks need to stop always sounding the DEATH of Hip Hop by trying to take out one of it's major componets lol because it has evolved to be much more than that. Excuse the ranting but being around this music and enjoying what it has done for me makes me want not only want but have to defend it on any level! I understand that things have changed from the early 70s until now but the one thing that will never change and that is "GOOD MUSIC" (no plug for kanye) never dies!! So keep coming for us by way of laws and order and we will still be here in one form or another!!!..
Passionate sentiment but sampling will die off eventually. With each generation of hip hop producers we see less and less of it. Now with the idea that many people either A) Believe sampling is totally illegal unless you are a big name signed to a record label or B) due to the vast amount of the kids who believe sampling is stealing and not creative. With each new generation of hip hop cats and with new advances in technology people will sample less and less. Hip Hop music with heavy sample usage is already considered a niche genre in itself or something for free releases and with people getting sued for free releases and with the advances of so many great plug ins that sound extremely realistic people will sample less and less. I suspect that by 2020 sampling will be considered taboo at least.

Maybe but where is the source coming material from? that will always be records or people manipulating them! I kow that leagal issues are huge but it aint going no where all music goes is phases we know that but if you believe the hype this was just jungle music before it started making money lol now look where its progressed to...how many millionaires are there because of it directly and indirectly/ how many people have eaten off of this culture and continue to?Count the years and the numbers don't lie.That biz /del la thing was ma minute ago in terms of musical history and were still here..Just like brake dancing and the other aspects of te culture the youth if exposed to it will take up its mantra...They may have new methods in which they do so but it will still be a part of our music..For an example when it all first started who knew that going from a D.j to a sampler would be the key to the future? well Akai and other creators did and they made millions off the backs of street kids who started doing this for fun (and girls of course but lil money) and 30 plus years we are still here records and all!!.. X did you sell your collection?

I don't think sampling is going anywhere as long as mixtapes are being made with a big "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY" disclaimer plastered on the front and kept free. But, I do know that when dealing with sampling laws you have to read between the lines and be very careful. I've heard of people recreating a piece of music on their own equipment. For example, if somebody wanted to sample some guitar riffs from some oldies they would just get on their keyboard and play the riff instead of ripping it from the original song. But I'm sure they could get sued for that also because it would be the same on a sheet unless you change a couple of notes. There are loop holes to everything though you just have to do your research.

I don't think sampling is going anywhere as long as mixtapes are being made with a big "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY" disclaimer plastered on the front and kept free. But, I do know that when dealing with sampling laws you have to read between the lines and be very careful. I've heard of people recreating a piece of music on their own equipment. For example, if somebody wanted to sample some guitar riffs from some oldies they would just get on their keyboard and play the riff instead of ripping it from the original song. But I'm sure they could get sued for that also because it would be the same on a sheet unless you change a couple of notes. There are loop holes to everything though you just have to do your research.
People are being sued over free mixtapes now too. 50 Cent got sued about a month ago. Mac Miller got sued twice around that time too.

Wow smh...
Why SMH? It kinda makes sense you are using someone else's material unauthorized regardless of the intent. The law doesn't say its ok if you don't make money from it but rather do not use samples without permission. Its pretty black and white.

Xabiton is right. Sampling is part of the Music Business... Keyword "Business"

Plus, producing a beat from scratch without sampling is actually fun and exciting. I ain't worried.

I ask this because it seems as tho more and more files (mp3/wav/videos) are being protected these days. I got into this game a while ago, but never got into sampling off vinyl like some old school cats. All my cuts are taken from videos and/or music files I come across now - much easier i guess, basically Recycle and my MPD18. My main question is: what's in place for us if we can't chop these anymore? Got me a little scared since I'm a beat junkie. Music is my medicine, and I can't lose it! Your thoughts?

There is noway to stop a sampler from sampling. I don't care whats been done to the audiofile. If a sampler really wants to cover the finger prints of an audiofile he can do it (if he/she knows how) most wont take the time to do so (but understand the mechanics behind it)

I think a simple but complicated solution is mediation. Producers and artists should have a service that quickly and painlessly negotiates with publishers to clear samples. Both sides have great unwarranted egos. The publisher and original composer/artist has either too much pride in their music or hates hip-hop. Then on the other hand, the sampling artist/producer has this arrogant point of view. We as sample producers feel that the original artist should be thankful for us being interested in re-creating their music. Before recorded music existed, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchiakovsky and Chopin sampled and reinterpreted other composers of their time.
It is true that sampling will one day go out of style. But it will still exist in smaller followings. Jazz and Blues aren't on the top 40 but they have survived the test of time. In the near future, Hip Hop will be considered one of the traditional American music genres. But if sampling dies in America who cares? There are dozens of other nations that are just recently discovering Hip Hop music. I've heard producers from the U.K. that sound closer to home than my next door neighbor. That is the true future of Hip Hop and sampling, nations outside the U.S.

Sampling will never die, in terms of hip-hop all of the greatest beats are made up of samples IMO.
All of my favoirte producers are sample based too.

So Hip-Hop is going to stop sampling because it will be considered stealing? Are we talking about Hip-Hop? The whole point was to break the rules! You ever been to a real block party? I don't mean a sanctioned event. I mean stealing electricity, taking over a city block and the police not doing anything because they were just happy "everybody " was in one place. This is where Hip-Hop comes from. There are pop songs on the radio at this moment with samples. Hip-Hop just gets the most scrutiny. Sampling might not be popular or preferable to you anymore, but it's not going anywhere.

What's funny is how people are too naive to realize hip hop as a whole is going away as disco did because all the fundamental elements are dying. Sample being one of them. I bet hip hop as a whole will be irrelevant before it get's to a place where it's done on the norm without any samples.

Even Nicki Minaj "Starships" had a sample in it, just a domain free soccer chant. Same one in Game's "Red Nation" and Three 6 Mafia's "I got". Do ya homework.

Interesting perspectives in this thread.

I think it's most important for young producers, songwriters, artists, bandleaders, label entrepreneurs, etc., etc., whateva, whateva, to educate themselves on the business aspect of music. You may be opening yourself up to new ideas and streams of revenue, not just "learning what not to do and how the man tries to keep young cats down."

Of course sampling isn't going anywhere. It is a part of Hip-Hop culture and rap production and I really don't see that disappearing anytime soon. But, _sampling without proper permission_ has _always_ been illegal, and has been quite publicly since the Biz Markie suit, since what, '82 or '83?

You have several choices if you want to do it legally. You can say "$#@#^ that!" and do it illegally; that is your choice, but you're taking your chances and it'll be illegal whether you like it or not. Best advice-- Get clearance, or make your own samples, or learn to play instruments (or all three). The rest is just hot-air talk, and you're taking your chances, and in this day and age, when grandmothers get slapped with $10,000 law suits for illegallly downloading a couple of songs, it makes sense to do things the right way, and while you're at it, _protect yourself and your own music as well!_

Copryright law seems like a pain, until the day someone jacks something of yours. Then all of the "free music" peeps will be scanning those Yellow Pages for intellectual property attorneys, no doubt and mos' def, babies...

GJ

listen to club /house/dub step disco aint go no where hahaha it's still here in fringe elements.. listen to your radio /TV samples all over the place!! we aint going no where.I just cant jump on the Band wagon at the death of hiphop or sampling!! just because Nas said so LOL wait a minute didn't Jay Z proclaim the death of autotune? how's that going?.. Some of yall can believe the hype if you want as for me I will follow the trends ie history of music. as this is a business there are too many people making a living off this culture just like a basketball wife "aint made a shot but getting half the bank" then cry foul when they when there assed out.Im not trying to hear it if catts are so concerned GET OUT NOW! and sell me your records LOL... Plus sampling or re sampling whats the difference as keyboards and other machines are re sampled and pre programmed so unless your picking up a true instrument im not worried with you or the future of sampling hahaha side note : the world was suppossed to end in DEC remember that hahaha band wagon riders...:pointing:

Last edited:
Sampling is Hip-Hop! Why would it be done on the norm without one of the "Basic Principles"? Hip-Hop comes from the DJ spinning the break part of the beat over and over to create a groove. You're kind of taking both sides of the argument here. Sampling is dying, yet you cite songs that use samples? Like I said it might not be trendy to some anymore, but it's not going anywhere. Other fundamentals of Hip-Hop had their time to be " in-style" as well...graffitti, breakin' etc. Because they are not as popular anymore doesn't mean either is dead. Look at the dance crew thing thats going on now. That's straight Hip-Hop!

Clyde Stubblefield is the ****ing man!

And the first time I heard the funky drummer in a beat I went bananas!
I later bought some James Brown music that I never would have bought because of hip hop producers "stealing" the loop.
I bought a lot of funk, and soul music, and only because I heard the samples in beats.
The whole sampling phenomenon was free advertizing at it's finest.
Some very short sighted, and greedy men failed to see this.

Sampling is hip hop. if youre not a poser then you will do it regardless. Graffiti is illegal but the true heads dont give a ****. Stop claiming to be hip hop.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

although James brown and quite a few others are easily identifiable what about all the lesser known artists who were just as funky (if not funkier because they had to be to compete) that a lot of people would not know about if it was not for sampling? i mean pick your favorite joint the songs are endless...Yes you can always make the argument about paying the artist/or giving them credit (as we should) but in the beginning it was about secrecy thats why djs were soaking labels and covering up names. you had to play a guessing game and listen for the title of the song (if you were good you got close) and then you could go search for it.now that was d jaying before sampling then as time progressed and samplers were introduced into the game then you were looking for the baddest break to loop up.. fast forward to where we are now where we chop up the sounds which is cool but it took a long time to get here.(although some still loop) which is cool as well.My point is sampling has always been a part of hiphop as will always continue to be!! again there is too much money in the game and what seems to be missing from the music today is the SOUL that was created in the late 60s to the mid 80s because thats the musicial time frame thats continuing to be recycled as we speak. Lets face it they were a lot cooler than we were style wise.. I know some people don't want to hear it but its the truth.. we are just vessels in which this music moves through so has hiphop changed Yes but the basics are still there because aint nobody re inventing the kick or snare!! and SOULESS music IMO is WACK!!...

Sampling is hip hop. if youre not a poser then you will do it regardless. Graffiti is illegal but the true heads dont give a ****. Stop claiming to be hip hop.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

that is part of the problem though. People don't give a **** about other people's shit. I personally love sampling and I think as an artist that is fine and all but when you want to be a businessman you have to think about business and to that respect idk if sampling full time is the best idea if u want to be a business.

that is part of the problem though. People don't give a **** about other people's shit. I personally love sampling and I think as an artist that is fine and all but when you want to be a businessman you have to think about business and to that respect idk if sampling full time is the best idea if u want to be a business.

Something I think most of us have tinkered with at some point is making our own samples.
If done right it sounds fairly authentic. I wish more people going the sample free route would have done this.
Time is money though, and making a good 8 bar loop to use as a sample might take longer than making a beat.

Back