Studio monitor panning itself and cutting out

G

So last night one of my Mackie Mr5 monitors started to pan records and cut out. On certain songs it would faintly come back on and then back out. Also when I turn it off, it produces a harsh pop sound that makes the woofer move. I don't have a power conditioner, I've used surge protectors for years and haven't had an issue. I just moved into a new location two months ago. Can anyone assist me on this issue? I'd like to know what it is before I purchase a new monitor. This would be my 4th one.

Bad input jack or cable? This happens with cheaper headphones after a while. I got a pair that only works out of the L ear. When I move around the cord, especially near the input jack, I can hear static in stereo, but the signal doesn't hang very long before cutting back to just 1 side.

Start with the easy stuff - check your cables.

I read your other thread about them crapping out during a gig (yikes!). Not sure if the heat has anything to do with it, but a power conditioner could help.

I tested the power cable, different outlet, different interface and all. Haven't tested today, but the loud pop when I cut it off makes me nervous to turn back on/off.

I literally ordered a power conditioner last night. Now there is a noticable hum as well.

That's the power cord. But what about the 1/4" or XLR speaker cables & inputs? If you got a bad input jack (the M or F side), it's gonna pop, hum, and pan all types of ways.

I changed both. I'm typically running an mbox, so I ran it through a mixer and my iphone, no audio. But it would fade back in every now and then. 1/4 balanced

Sounds like power circuit problems - probably a blown ripple filter capacitor in the power circuit.

A power conditioner will not fix this - only replacement of the offending part(s) will

the pop is caused by a sudden out-rush of current/voltage as the power is cut, which further strengthens the argument for a failure in the ripple protection capacitors (these would act to allow for slow release of the energy over several seconds usually), add to that the hum and we get a trifecta of symptoms pointing to the same problem

Is this a simple DIY fix or would it be better off sending to to get repaired?

I ended up purchasing a completely new set of monitors that were a newer model of what I had. But I still would like to know if it is worth fixing. I'll end up having five monitors that could be used in a surround type application with various settings on the back of them.

Sounds like power circuit problems - probably a blown ripple filter capacitor in the power circuit.

A power conditioner will not fix this - only replacement of the offending part(s) will

the pop is caused by a sudden out-rush of current/voltage as the power is cut, which further strengthens the argument for a failure in the ripple protection capacitors (these would act to allow for slow release of the energy over several seconds usually), add to that the hum and we get a trifecta of symptoms pointing to the same problem

can be fixed by a repair man easily, but certainly able to be done by a competent amateur -

if you had
  • the following info:
    • circuit diagram,
    • pcb layout,
  • the following ability
    • identify damaged component by visual and olfactory inspection (you can see and smell when something like this fails as there is leakage from the damaged component)
  • the following equipment
    • soldering iron, temperature controlled preferred
    • soldering wick to remove existing solder
    • required component(s)
    • solder to reattach the new component to the circuit board

In the above situation you would also detach the drivers from the amp to avoid any unforeseen issues...

Without the above, cheaper (in terms of time and money to acquire the equipment and knowledge) to send to a repair man.

ps, this is why I do not like all in ones - the drivers are probably ok, but the power amp is in need of attention - replacing both is always more expensive than replacing one or the other

Last edited:
Yes indeed, BC, I'm also a fan of passive monitors for a number of reasons, including yours.

Would you say that nearly any "popping" issues or "slow release zapping sounds" are indicators of a unit needing to be re-capped? It always seems to me that those weird sounds are capacitor-related...

Also, to the OP, if you're not really qualified/experienced with electronics repair, please be cautious. As Band Coach said, capacitors store and release electricity. Some amps and other gear actually have what are called in the trade "death caps," because you can get a real nice shock if you're not careful.

GJ

Just about any issue where you have a cyclic hiss or zap that cannot be attributed to heat noise (aka thermal noise or the noise floor of the amplifier) is capacitor related - the very fact that it is cyclic is due to the nature of a capacitor to charge and discharge via some form of resistor with a given time constant aka frequency. (R (in Ohms) x C (in Farads) = the time constant; which is inversely proportional to the cutoff frequency of the related filter network formed by the pair - i.e.
f[sub]c[/sub] = 1/(2πRC)

see this for more insight RC Charging Circuit Tutorial & RC Time Constant

As for Death caps - I've felt a few in my time discharging mains current when accidentally brushing against them after they have been unplugged - a cautionary tale to make sure that there is no residual power in the system by turning the power switch on one last time before popping the hood so to speak

Back