Reverb

airbag76

Hi

What if you just keep only the 100% wet signal and mute the dry. In terms of room simulation what that means?
I mean if the balance between dry and wet sets the distance between the ear and the sound source etc... then what if
you listen only the reverb? where is the ear then

thanks

Hi Airbag,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your post but I'll try and explain the answer your might be looking for.

The dry signal is the original sound that you have sent to the reverb (pre-processed)

The wet signal is the sound effected by the reverb you have applied.

When listening to 100% wet you are only listening to the sound with reverb. When listening to only 100% dry you are listening to only the sound without reverb.

You can use the wet/dry control to blend the two.

I noticed you referred to the distance and wet/dry signal. Simply use your ears to achieve the results that you want. If you want the sound to appear distant then apply more wet signal or you can adjust the reverb controls such as (reverb time, low/high time, pre-day, reverb size).

Does that shed any light on your post?

Last edited:
Hi
I mean if the balance between dry and wet sets the distance between the ear and the sound source etc...

No it don't work like that.

Wet and Dry are just how much of the signal is sent to the effect to be processed. If you want to make rooms sound big and small then you would want to play with Decay and Pre-Delay.

Also if you pay with Diffusion and Hi-pass and Low-pass setting that will emulate different type of surface that the signal/sound is bouncing off.

When something gets further away you can still hear it, even though the Reverb/Echo gets bigger.

Last edited:

signal -> Reverb ->Pre-Delay->Early Reflections->Decay Time->EQ (subtractive only) ->Wet->}
. . . . |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->}Mix
. . . . |--------------------------------------------------------------------------->Dry->}

Is the structure of most Reverbs these days

No it don't work like that.

Wet and Dry are just how much of the signal is sent to the effect to be processed. If you want to make rooms sound big and small then you would want to play with Decay and Pre-Delay.

Also if you pay with Diffusion and Hi-pass and Low-pass setting that will emulate different type of surface that the signal/sound is bouncing off.

When something gets further away you can still hear it, even though the Reverb/Echo gets bigger.

Thanks for your help
but if you simulate space by reverb settings then the wet-dry balance configures what? the distance between mic/ear and sound source right? Perhaps my question is sound design orientated and not proff. mixing but in case you keep only th wet then what is the result? maybe the mic is very far from the sounsource?
Basically I am trying to mimic the cluster - harmonia albums sound which is cold and distant

thanks

You can't do that just using the wet/dry mix feature - it will be a complex of reverb, eq and decay times: i.e. it is something that is more than just one FX device would achieve - learn more about the FX devices you are using by experimenting with their parameters and listening to the results and then ask again....

The wet/dry balance does not simulate mic placement, object placement in the room, distance, or anything else. The error in your thinking lies in that you are thinking it represents a physical thing or a measurement.

As you know, it's impossible to have the wet, without the dry. Having 100% wet is impossible in the real world. If you had a drum set in a room and played it, you would hear the drum kit, and its reverb. Bringing up the knob is like taking the drum kit out of the room, but still hearing the reverb as if it is playing. Going towards dry is liking pulling up the level on the drums and down on the reverb, and going towards wet is pulling up the level on the room reverb and pulling down the level of the actual drum kit.

In the digital world, we can have both or either/or. In the real world, you will always have both. In a recording environment, you can record more room sound (reverb sound) compared to drum sound depending on the mic placement, but unless you're working with a microphone that has a very focused pickup pattern, it will still pick up the actual drum sound.

I have to say - I do think that a very wet sound with very little dry sound can make it appear like it's somewhere in the back, or far away. I often use this method, sometimes even only send wet sound. And a dry sound for me, is a sound that is very close.

But of course, this is not really the right way to do it (well is there even such a thing?).

Back