POST YOUR METHOD**ending all newbie threads

post your method of recording vocals, and mixing vocals.

aight heres my method from start 2 finish:

1) first i go upstairs 2 the kitchen, get some tea with honey too make my voice clear as hell.

2) i load up cool edit pro 2.0 put the beat in the first channel, then click the second channel, and click rec in(or somethin i forgot its right by the solo and mute and what know) and i click left channel.

3)i spit my first 8 bars, as punchy, and clear as possible. then i do the second 8 bars wit the same emotion as the first 1.

4)then i apply noise reduction(this is a must!!!!, makes your **** clear as ehll). i use a setting i have save.

5)dynamic processing:fast attack

6) normalization-100%

7)amplify: -2.7 , and 3.7 for doubles and adlibs.

8) mute all other channels except for the first 8 bars and the punch in. mix it down 2 1 file. and double the mix down(it doesnt sound centered because i didnt record thru both sides).

9) i just mix wit my ear and it comes out nice and smooth and thick.....NO HOMO.

10) wit the final mix i might add a lil L2 or maximizer depending on how the mix sounds. and then im good.

post your method

I don't want to start a really long thread, but if you need noise reduction, something is wrong from the start. If you're normalizing, something is seriously, seriously going awry. All that additional processing to turn it back down to -12 or -18 (or else it's going to clip) seems like a little too much damage.

And a fast attack on vocals...?

But if that what works for you...

i got a question.

when I click the little red R button in the multi-track view, it starts recording in stereo. i was wondering how to change it to mono?

A2k said:
i got a question.

when I click the little red R button in the multi-track view, it starts recording in stereo. i was wondering how to change it to mono?

Are you using pro tools or what? In Pro Tools before you create a new track it gives you the option of selecting momo or stereo.

In other words...
rtfm.gif

MASSIVE Mastering said:
I don't want to start a really long thread, but if you need noise reduction, something is wrong from the start. If you're normalizing, something is seriously, seriously going awry. All that additional processing to turn it back down to -12 or -18 (or else it's going to clip) seems like a little too much damage.

And a fast attack on vocals...?

But if that what works for you...

yea i agree that if youre doin noise reduction on a simple vocal recording then something is not right. normalizing doesnt really make sense as you might end up mangling your transients and sucking up your headroom. regarding the fast attack, my attack times are generally not so fast but i have in the past used quick attacks on certain vocalists (for instance, a soft-spoken rapper).

anyways my basic method is compression (to up the transients) -> eq (to get the timbre right) -> delay or reverb depending on the vocalist (sometimes none of that at all, but often it helps so things arent so dry and up front). btw i often merge all the layers/dubs into one bus so the mix of them is running through one compressor. then again if i am doing a weird track that involves panning vocal dubs all over the place then they get their own compressors.

sometimes, between the compressor and eq, i will throw in izotope trash, with all filters off and amp models off, only to use a distortion algorithm. the 2 that i like to use are "harmonic drive" (to get the chili peppers bite) and "tape saturation" (for an imitation of the "warmth" you hear on the beatles, zeppelin, etc). these are relatively subtle effects (harmonic drive especially should not be overdone, i rarely take it to rick rubin levels), but they can make it sound really cool.

Last edited:
geoff_emerick said:

Are you using pro tools or what? In Pro Tools before you create a new track it gives you the option of selecting momo or stereo.

nah i'm using adobe audition 1.5

This is a cool thread, could be real helpful and interesting if more people posted up.

Anyone?

Massive Mastering, you got all these opinions, whats your method if everyone else doin it wrong?

It would be real good if some experienced musicians could put their methods up, then maybe this could be stickied?!

SP

My method of recording is.

Open up Cubase. Get my pre amp and compressor sounding good according to the vocalist (Hip Hop) External hardware to.

after i have my settings i record with what i like to call a health wave file, not to loud but not recorded to low, Just avereage, in the middle.

after the song is done, i start with teh Main vocals first, ad sum light compression, ad just a tad bit of reverb to make it fuller and Eq if necessary.

The same goes for the chorus main track.

then i go to the adlib, pan according to how many Dubs and adlibs there are and kinda fade them to the back. also Eq Compress add sum delay if i want to, and whatever other effects i feel fit right.

Bring in the beat all tracked out mix starting with drums snares hi hats precussion Instruments Etc, make sure nuthin is clipping, Export as a 24bit wave and take to the mastering Engineer!.

also i mix after about and hour break to get my ears clean. also gives you a diferent listening experiance, or i will mix the next day

Adlib311 said:
My method of recording is.

Open up Cubase. Get my pre amp and compressor sounding good according to the vocalist (Hip Hop) External hardware to.

after i have my settings i record with what i like to call a health wave file, not to loud but not recorded to low, Just avereage, in the middle.

after the song is done, i start with teh Main vocals first, ad sum light compression, ad just a tad bit of reverb to make it fuller and Eq if necessary.

The same goes for the chorus main track.

then i go to the adlib, pan according to how many Dubs and adlibs there are and kinda fade them to the back. also Eq Compress add sum delay if i want to, and whatever other effects i feel fit right.

Bring in the beat all tracked out mix starting with drums snares hi hats precussion Instruments Etc, make sure nuthin is clipping, Export as a 24bit wave and take to the mastering Engineer!.

also i mix after about and hour break to get my ears clean. also gives you a diferent listening experiance, or i will mix the next day

Cool man.

Thanks for sharing!

SP

Since most folks here seem to do rap and hip-hop, I'll tell you the way I record when I'm working with a rap/hip-hop artist.

Generally, the beatmaker will bring in his MPC/Motif/Triton/Whatever with his sequences. I'll bring my good gear to the session. We'll track out the individual instruments. If a part wants more (say, a horn section) I'll route MIDI from his (for example) horn track to my pieces and bring up a nice horn section to stack. If it's a synth bass, it often gets replayed on the Moog. If we're using the Moog, I'll record one pass, retune the oscillators and record another pass. Sometimes I'll get low bass with one pass and a higher, nasal bass with the next bass. (That way, I have control during mixdown: if I want to bring up the presence of the bass, I can bring up the level of the nasal bass, and not mess with the EQ on the main bass.)

Done? Vocalists have their parts written? Time to lay down the hook. Sometimes this is one guy, sometimes it's two guys trading off parts, sometimes it's a solo singer, sometimes it's harmonies. I record each part 3 times. If it's a dense hook with lots of trading parts, I record only 2 passes of some parts (I'll thin them out more during mixdown, too, to put them in a different space.)

Hook done? Snip out any paper rustling/coughs, etc. How long are your verses, guys? "16 bars." "But we're at 70bpm! That makes over 5 minutes with all three of you doing verses. I thought we want this on the radio!" "Damn! Okay, give us 12-bar verses. (or "Give us two 16-bar sections; we'll trade off two guys for the second verse." Paste copies of the hook where they need to be in the song. (Don't forget to move your instrumental arrangement around to follow them, if you need to!) This way, the vocalists can feel how they're coming into and out of the hook while they perform (and avoid messy overlaps, too!)

Time for verses. I usually like to have at least two mics set up in the vocal booth. I like to use a bit of hardware compression. An 1176 set for fairly fast response, and fairly aggressive compression alongside an LA-2a set medium conservatively for the other mic makes me happy.

First vocalist: One pass onto two mono tracks, with both mics recording. I pan these tracks center (and use the same idea as the bass: want brigeter? bring up the brighter mic.) Was that take perfect? If not, make it perfect. Can't get it after a few tries? Let another vocalist do his verse. Stack it twice, using only the brighter mic. In mixing, I'll pan one of these pretty hard left and the other one pretty hard right. Now, lay two ad-lib tracks using the duller mic (again, to make mixing easier later. I pan one medium-left and the other medium-right, after cutting out the bass and boosting the high-mids.) Repeat with the other vocalists and their verses.

Have somebody run down to that BBQ joint on the corner. Half a chicken for me, please, and collard greens, not cabbage. Get whatever y'all want for yourselves.

Bring in a second set of ears (if you can) who hasn't heard the project yet. You hear anything that needs to be fixed? Okay, let's mix it.

Get good tones (you've been thinking about this part since you tracked out the music, and you did a lot of the work when you selected what sounds to record, and whether or not to EQ them on the way in.). Does the song need any drop-outs? Put 'em in by snipping out different instruments in 8-bar sections (or 1-bar or 1-beat cutouts... whatever.) Set up some delays and automate the send from the vocals to the delays to acent certain words.

Bounce it down. Burn a CD from it. Check it in the car. Check in in the home stereo. Check it in the club. Check it on somebody's old busted boom box. Can you hear all the vocals? Can you understand all the words? Is the bass bangin' like it needs to be?

Back to the studio, make any changes and bounce it again.

Now, time for stems. Mute everything but the Kick. Bounce it down. Now mute everything but the snare/clap/snap. Bounce it down. Mute everything but the rest of the percussion and bounce it down. Mute everything but the bass. Bounce it down. Mute everything but the other keys and bounce it down. Same for Verse Vocals, Hook Vocals and Guest spots (your mixtape guy doing an intro, whatever.) The idea is that now anybody, at any studio, using any software can pull up the same mix, no matter what plugins they have, or what audio system they're using. So if you need to bleep out a curse word, or remove that Guest Star because he tried to sue you, you just edit the stem, and bounce the song again with all faders at 0 and no EQ, and you get the same mix. No sense paying for more studio time when you can fix stuff at home, right?

There ya go. That's how one guy does it, who's been doing it for a while. Hope it helps.

-Hoax

A cruel hoax.... You gave me some good ideas. I dont know what type of daw you are using, I just bought a protools setup (m-powered 7) and I was wondering how do you automate your sends to make the vocals delay at certain parts???

Last edited:
I use cubase sx3 as my daw of choice, and make hiphop music.

Lately I've learned that the setup is one of the most essential parts of the session. There's certain things you just can't fix in the mix. So before recording, I do a few test runs consisting of someone rhyming into the mic, while I check input levels in order to get the best signal to noise ratio. When I'm happy with my preamp/ input settings, and mic placement, we record.

After recording everything I try to establish a rough mix by adjusting the faders, and panning everything into its proper space. When that's established, I handle compression. Usually I compress the vocals first, followed by the kick/ snare individually. In some cases I also add slight compression to the entire drum section. If compression is needed elsewhere, I take care of it.

Next I polish the song up. I check for clashing frequencies, and fix them with eq. I follow that up with vocal reverb. (Sometimes a SLIGHT switch in reverb during the hook makes an effective difference in the hook). At this point i'll add any creative effects, and that's it.

Before my final mixdown, i'll use the L3 maximizer on the master channel, and retouch the mix if necessary (sometimes the L3 adjusts frequencies and they need to be corrected). Then I automate any instrument mutes/ solos, and dither/ mixdown.

I'm always sure to save everything because I like to check my mix in other systems just to see if all is well. If not, back to the mixing board.

I think the main thing to learn is that no bulletproof "process" exists. Just learn through trial and error, and practice. Develop your own technique and get good at it.

Yo, whoever re-uped this thread, I appreciate it. I tried searchin the forum with key words but I wasn't gettin anything. Good Lookin Out.

Cruel Hoax said:
Now, time for stems. Mute everything but the Kick. Bounce it down. Now mute everything but the snare/clap/snap. Bounce it down. Mute everything but the rest of the percussion and bounce it down. Mute everything but the bass. Bounce it down. Mute everything but the other keys and bounce it down. Same for Verse Vocals, Hook Vocals and Guest spots (your mixtape guy doing an intro, whatever.) The idea is that now anybody, at any studio, using any software can pull up the same mix, no matter what plugins they have, or what audio system they're using. So if you need to bleep out a curse word, or remove that Guest Star because he tried to sue you, you just edit the stem, and bounce the song again with all faders at 0 and no EQ, and you get the same mix. No sense paying for more studio time when you can fix stuff at home, right?

-Hoax

What does 'bounce it down' mean? Never heard of it.

Thanks for the post though, it was very helpful, might try a couple of those techniques out next week!

SP

What does 'bounce it down' mean? Never heard of it.
Bounce it down" Means to mix to another file on disk. For example, you are finished with your mix, and you want to create a single stereo file of your mix. You mix it to disc, or "bounce it down." Some software might label it as "export as .WAV" or "Mix Down" or "render to disc." They're all terms that mean the same thing.

In my example of mixing stems, you end up with a collection of stereo .WAV files. You can burn these files to a CD or DVD, and now anybody who has that DVD can re-create your mix exactly, no matter if they're using Cubase, Pro Tools, Sonar, or any other software: all they need to do is to bring all of those .WAV files into their audio app and don't change anything.
I just bought a protools setup (m-powered 7) and I was wondering how do you automate your sends to make the vocals delay at certain parts???
Well, you know that you set up your delays on an Aux Input track, right? And you set the input of that track to a bus (Bus 1-2, for example). You create a Send on the audio track (for example, the vocal track). Put that track into Auto Write. Play the song from the beginning and move the Send fader as you like (or use the send Mute button). (Or, you could switch to the Edit window and draw it in as automation. Do what feels most natural for you.)

-Hoax

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruel Hoax said:
Bounce it down" Means to mix to another file on disk. For example, you are finished with your mix, and you want to create a single stereo file of your mix. You mix it to disc, or "bounce it down." Some software might label it as "export as .WAV" or "Mix Down" or "render to disc." They're all terms that mean the same thing.quote]
-Hoax [/B]

Okay got it, thanks a lot!

This is a great thread by the way!

SP

Back