Mixing help

BeatbyAS

Most of the track that I think are really mixed well, tend to keep the same energy level whatever the speaker volume. But me, the energy levels changes drastically depending on the speaker volume.

EXEMPLE

OTHER BEAT
SPEAKER LEVEL : 100
ENERGY LEVEL : 100
SPEAKER LEVEL : 75
ENERGY LEVEL : 50

MY BEAT
SPEAKER LEVEL : 100
ENERGY LEVEL : 100
SPEAKER LEVEL : 75
ENERGY LEVEL : 25

How can I keep the same intensity/punch, whatever the volume is...

How should I mix to achieve a result like the other well mixed songs ?

Is it all in the mix ?

Most people say you have to mix at low volume so that it will still sound good on high volume. But then if you do that, how do you keep the meter from not going over 0db

You have to leave head room before you put a limiter or Ozone on the master at least 5db 10 db is better. Try setting your loudest element to -10db and go from there. And dont completely high pass everything use a high or low shelf eq. at low volumes you aren't moving the cones on your speakers like you are at higher levels so the sub response it crippled. Anyway I'm no expert but these things have helped me out alot when getting my mixes added volume and frequency response. Hope it helps.

@tomkillsjerry yeah I know about the headroom but that's not the problem. Thanks for the help though !

@bandcoach ok

Most of the track that I think are really mixed well, tend to keep the same energy level whatever the speaker volume. But me, the energy levels changes drastically depending on the speaker volume.

How can I keep the same intensity/punch, whatever the volume is...

How should I mix to achieve a result like the other well mixed songs ?

Is it all in the mix ?

Most people say you have to mix at low volume so that it will still sound good on high volume. But then if you do that, how do you keep the meter from not going over 0db
Sounds like you need help with mastering more than mixing.
It gets a bit involved and takes some time to learn (just like mixing), but generally it's a good idea to think of these two processes (mixing and mastering) separately, because that's how the records in your collection were done.

@Waltz Mastering - Im probably thinking of mastering, but mastering is the icing on the cake. Your cake(beat) is suppose to be(sound) good even when the mastering has not been applied yet.

mastering is the icing on the cake. Your cake(beat) is suppose to be(sound) good even when the mastering has not been applied yet.
I totally agree with that, but when you said: "Most of the track that I think are really mixed well, tend to keep the same energy level whatever the speaker volume."

I took it that you were comparing your mixes to commercially available tracks which had also been mastered, ..but if the "well mixed" tracks that you're comparing to are from other producers/mixers that you know haven't been mastered then it's apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

Back