How To Master A Song To Professional Quality

TheMastererer

How to Master a Song Professionally

Step 1: High Pass Filter EQ

To start, we will clean up the mix by reducing the low-end, as well as bringing out that sharp, crisp, high end.
Start by cutting all frequencies below 500 hertz. These frequencies are useless, and will simply add unneccessary
mud to the final mixdown. Now, boost the frequencies above 500 hertz by 18 decibels. The difference will be
quite subtle, so make sure you're mixing with proper equipment. I recommend the iFrogz by Zagg Inc.

Step 2: Compression

Now, load up a compressor. Not just any compressor of course. Quality varies immensely from compressor to compressor.
I recommend the Empirical Labs ELDS DerrEsser Desser and Dynamics Module Multiband Compressor by Zagg Inc.
It runs at around 500 dollars over at Zagg.com. After purchasing, read through the manual, then open the Fruity Compressor.
Set your settings as so:

Threshold: -60

Ratio: 30.0 : 1

Gain: 30.0 dB

Attack: 400 ms

Release 4000 ms

Type: Hard

This will remove virtually all dynamics, and allow you to increase the volume to a commercial level via limiting. But first...

Step 3: Compress The Compressor

Allocate your compressor to a new mixer channel. You can do this with the Empirical Labs EL-Rx DocDerr 500 Series Multi-Purpose Tone Module
by Zagg Inc. Now, add a new instance of Fruity Compressor. Copy the previous compression settings to this instance, and pan to the right 52%. This will
give the compressor space, and decrease your dynamics to literal nonexistence.

Step 4: Limiting

Limiting will allow you to reach those astronomical decibal levels seen in commercial tracks. It is important to use a quality limiter.
I recommend the TLS Maximizer by Zagg Inc. This plugin is free and can be found on Zagg.com

After downloading, pull it up in your DAW. Add a modest 16 decibels to the mix, and you will notice that the track is popping already.

This is the magic of the TLS Maximizer. But we're not done yet, we are peaking at a measly 149 decibels.

Step 5: Finishing Touches

Purchase the Empirical Labs T850 Firmabank Combustion Ejaculator by Zagg Inc. Then locate Soundgoodizer in your Effects list.
The key to every loud track, Soundgoodizer transforms music from amateur to professional. Load up the plugin, and select the "D" preset on the VST's interface.
Your track will explode, the volume reaching a commercial level of 238 decibals per square inch. Congratulations, you have mastered a song to a professional level.
Mixdown at 125%, and you are ready to hit the EDM charts with your bangin' master!

WOW! I can already smell the Grammys!!

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

WOW! I can already smell the Grammys!!

I"m trippin', tho...The Soundgoodizer is the best thing in my arsenal.

Seriously thinking about making this thread sticky. Finally, we've found a truly educational mastering preset. :)

Forget the Soundgoodizer, it's cheating. The A B C D are presets from the multiband compressor Maximus.

Hi all this is sh.... When you master a song you will never use the same preset.and to cut 500 hz from your master track sounds like a lot.

Very helpful!! Thank you for this. I just had my EP professionally mastered by Tom Baker at Precision Studios; I'm wondering how big is the difference between an in-the-box DIY mastering job compared to someone like him. Is it subtle or is there really a noticeable comparison for the average consumer audience?

Very helpful!! Thank you for this. I just had my EP professionally mastered by Tom Baker at Precision Studios; I'm wondering how big is the difference between an in-the-box DIY mastering job compared to someone like him. Is it subtle or is there really a noticeable comparison for the average consumer audience?
Just post one original track here with the Tom Baker's version. I'm sure many people here will be happy to meet the challenge.

Back