can you mixdown audio too much?

mellow954

newbie with mixing and mastering audio

I am using adobe audition cs6 with ozone 5 advanced plugins

when i am using ozone for multiple tracks my comp starts shutting down . can i mixdown instrumental track with voice track then go back and mixdown the two other tracks i have my hooks on? Or is it bad to mixdown too many times . If so I guess its of to buy a powerful comp

Thaks alot

mike w

---------- Post added 10-04-2012 at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-03-2012 at 07:03 AM ----------

please help with some info?

Sounds like it might be time to get a new computer....

However,.....

How many tracks?
What is your current computer configuration?

Um... just a speculation here but are you using multiple instances of izotope ozone, like putting them on individual tracks?

First, Ozone on every single track? That's ridiculously CPU HOGGING. Not to mention, completely amateur-like. You can learn a lot about mixing from this site, most of the information you NEED is ALREADY here. You just need to read, A LOT. Trial and Error until you figure it out on your own, it sticks a lot more that way.

Yeah.... i'd say you're using Ozone wrong. There's nothing technically bad w/ using it on every single track, except 1) you run into the CPU problem you're experiencing and 2) there's just a better more efficient way to mix.

Learn what your mixing tools are. And use them SEPARATELY... and AS NEEDED. Don't just slap stuff on and turn knobs until you like what you hear. You will never ever ever ever get a good sound like that. Even if you think it's good..... i guarantee it's not good lol. Learn what the knobs do first... and then twist with precision and knowledge.

Common tools on your tracks:
1) Compressor (regular compressor and a bus compressor)
2) EQ
3) Reverb
4) Anything else is flavor (ie. Delay, Flanger, Reverb, hi-pass/lo-pass filters, saturation etc)

You can achieve most of the basics w/ compressor, eq, and reverb... (including using your mixer to pan and adjust volume... and manually editing parts of your audio by chopping and lowering/raising parts.) If you don't have any third-party VSTs for these... just use your software's built-in... they are more than good enough. Stock plugins are fine.. there's nothing wrong w/ using them. Some programs have exceptional stock plugins.

Then.. once you get a good mix... THATs when you slap Izotone on the master bus alone. One instance man lol. But the key is... you have to get your mix good first. If you run a bad mix through Ozone... it's going to sound like polished poop.

Focus on your mix. Don't spend much time using Ozone. Spend all of your time conceptualizing your mix... comparing it to industry music... and figuring out what's different between yours and theres. I guarantee the difference is more than just the right Ozone setting. I promise u.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Also... I think you're going to need to ultimately change your mindset about "mixing" in general.

When you're new.. it's normal to think that things are different because they are "processed" in some way, shape, or form. By process... you think that a vocal was run through a plugin... and the end result was turning a decent vocal take into a great vocal take. You tend to think it's similar to a microwave dinner, a car manufacturing plant, a toaster... etc... something gets processed and turned into something better than what it was. There are a few times when this is the case... but more often than not.. it's the wrong way to think about mixing.

You want to learn how to mix? Close your eyes. Listen to the sound. Visualize it on a stage. Where exactly should it be? How loud should it be? What tone should it have? Should it sound like XYZ song?

Okay... now that you've determined what it should sound like.... you now use specific tools that will help you get it to where it should be. Maybe it should've been recorded better in the first place? Maybe you should have chosen a different source sound? Maybe the snare has too much bottom end, which is clashing w/ the voice, so you're going to EQ some of that away. Maybe the song should be bass driven, but it's not hitting enough, so you boost the kick at 60hz to add some "bottom thump", or at 110hz to add strength and make it cut through the bassline more (and also cut away that same frequency on the bassline).

Simple is always better when it comes to mixing. You have a problem (problem: this doesn't sound right)... so what is the shortest, most effective way to fix that problem. Once you fix all of the problems... your stuff will sound extremely profesional. But the key is to know what the hell the problems are. That's where equiment like monitors, DA converters, acoustic treatment some into play.

Sorry... I know i went on a ridiculous tangent and this wasn't really what you asked.... but if you're using Ozone on each track.. .and you said you're new.... i felt you needed to be told this upfront. You have to change the way you approach your mix if you want to get a good sound. And this will also indirectly effect your CPU problems.

Also.. you can usually freeze tracks in your DAW. That's a very common tool. If Adobe Audition doesn't have this.. it's b/c it's not really the perfect program for making music. Most professionals use other DAWs for a reason lol. Audition is based on Cool Edit... and I know for a fact that Cool Edit was moreso made for broadcast radio. NOT for music. That's not to say that you can't use it for music.. since it's all waveforms essentially... but, certain things will be much harder to do in Audition than in the music production DAWS (ie. Studio One, Cubase, Reaper, ProTools, Logic, Sonar, Ableton, etc). I can remember when I started out in Cool Edit... and i just couldn't understand how people perfectly cut/paste their hooks so that it's in perfect timing each chorus!!! I thought people did precise calculations and manually moved the hooks into place. Then... I got Sonar, and realized it was just a regular cut & paste lmao. Now I have Studio One... and to me it's the equivalent of trying to chop down a tree w/ a saw vs. chopping ot down w/ one of those big ass Catepillar machines lol. I love Studio One. But I tell you a little bit about my background b/c.. i know where you're coming from.

Last edited:
don't worry about mastering at all...I mean at all till you learn how to mix (of course you can read about it watch some videos)
only mastering your should be doing is throwing
a limiter on a 2-track mix
for DISPLAY purposes only
when you send off a beat to a artist make sure you send one without the limiter

I don't even care about mixing for display purposes right now laptop/headphones straight to Soundcloud(I guess I have to get work I been lazy)

but yeah if you're mixing make sure your using your studio monitors and have a decent room with some acoustic treatment at less your front wall
and

keep those studio monitors at less 2ft.(I do3ft). from the front wall and

I like my studio monitors on stands but it's not neccassary

at less have the tweeter on the studio monitors at ear level and in a triangle arangement
like below
UnderstandingStudioMonitors_Placement_1_big.gif

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
I also read this post at it's young stage but I failed to realize that the most fundamental question wasn't answered. We have all sorts of "solutions" from using less plugins to how to use them to speaker placement.

What is your current computer configuration?

Processor:
RAM:
Sound Card / Device (on board, PCI, audio interface):
GPU (Graphics Card / Onboard):
Hard Drive(s):
Operating system:

All of these things would contribute to your issue. If they are obviously above recommended then your program probably has some errors. If they are below the recommended then your system just can't handle the processes and would be wise to upgrade where possible if you have the budget for it.

Just in case anyone is wondering here's mine:

Processor: 3.33 GHz core i5
RAM: 4GB
Sound Card / Device (audio interface): M-Audio 4x4 mobile
GPU (Graphics Card): 1GB PCIE (GTX 460)
Hard Drives: 3 - (320GB -system etc, 500GB - install files, 2TB - backup)
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I also read this post at it's young stage but I failed to realize that the most fundamental question wasn't answered. We have all sorts of "solutions" from using less plugins to how to use them to speaker placement.

Processor:
RAM:
Sound Card / Device (on board, PCI, audio interface):
GPU (Graphics Card / Onboard):
Hard Drive(s):
Operating system:

^ can't figure out why you listed GPU there...

^ can't figure out why you listed GPU there...

he listed most of his specs. that's why..

-Coach Antonio

he listed most of his specs. that's why..

Funny...

But I guess it's okay for a MIDI Controller to ask for 128 MB Video Card, but not your DAW. It's fine if you think am showing off. But check your requirements and see what you find, list them and answer intelligently.

SDC12313.JPG

some daws actually use the gpu for processing high end dsp, so specifying your video card is important.....

I will add, though , that I think the basic problem comes back to trying to use ozone on every track ~ it was subtle but the original post does read like it is being used on every track, so to the op - use ozone only a two -track mix ready for mastering

some daws actually use the gpu for processing high end dsp, so specifying your video card is important.....

I will add, though , that I think the basic problem comes back to trying to use ozone on every track ~ it was subtle but the original post does read like it is being used on every track, so to the op - use ozone only a two -track mix ready for mastering

I have to agree it seems like he/she is using it on every track.

-Coach Antonio

Back