Where should I start?

ORitmo

Hello everyone,

I love house music and I usually get myself creating beats in my head. I am thinking of giving it a try to see how I do.

Where should I start? What should I start studying?

Please, I would I appreciate some help!

Thanks Guys!

Hello everyone,

I love house music and I usually get myself creating beats in my head. I am thinking of giving it a try to see how I do.

Where should I start? What should I start studying?

Please, I would I appreciate some help!

Thanks Guys!

Hey man, how're you?

That's wicked that you've came to these parts of the web to learn about production.

First and foremost, have a passion - without passion, it is meaningless.

Start off by utilizing YouTube and other various sources of media. I would also check out dnbforum and dubstepforum, as well as this site.

Find a digital audio workstation, I'm currently using FL Studio 10 (there are various other choices though)

Goodluck.

Great man! TKxx So I guess I can watch some videos in youtube on how to use FL 10, right?

Do you start from a loops and mix from there or you go from zero?

Hey
I would just immerse myself in anything to do with music production. That means watching videos on YouTube to buying magazines to actually making music by using the software.

Don't get too worried about not knowing what to do. Just make a start within your means i.e. budget / time.

Hope that helps!

Rick Snoman's The Dnace Music Manual vol 1 and vol 2: get them, read them , apply them, ask questions here often

That is definately true about "within my means"

Can you reccomend any Mags?

Tks!

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Just spotted that in amazon, cheers!

Go to your local library and borrow some introductionary books on music production, this will give you an overview of music production in general.

Meanwhile when you're not reading you can watch tutorials for your audiosoftware (called DAW's = Digital Audio Workstation).

Further on, you need to watch tutorials on synthesizers, where you create all "playing sounds" (or how to put it). Also, you want to learn about different effects and how they work.

Then you should be able to understand what you're doing in the DAW when creating music.

And then you may want to learn proper mixing and techniques (and then eventually what mastering is about), and go more and more advanced in everything step by step.

Magazines are great, but personally I think they cover things that you should wait with diving into until you feel you know what you're doing.
However, a great magazine is Sound On Sound Magazine.

I can link the series of tutorials that helped me a lot when I started to learn about synthesizers:
Synthesizer Boot Camp #1--Modulation: Putting the Pieces Together - YouTube

Hope that helps.

Actually, SOME magazines will fly over your head. I'd imagine Sound on Sound and Tape Op to do just that, however I started reading SOS and didn't find it overwhelming at the time.

That would depend on your learning curves threshold.

Anyway, try Computer Music and Furtue Music. Those two are GREAT for newbies; filled with tutorials, beginner basics and tons of free sample giveaways each month.

Hope this helps ya out!

First - buy a Macbook Pro
- learn theory basics, chords, chord progressions, scales, learn what key is a song you listen to,
- listen to songs and learn how to determine what key is a song,
- play along a songs you like, find chords and play along, practice finding chords of the song (and when you find a chord check what is the name of that chord),
practice and practice until you learn chords, practice until you will know in you head what chord is it what you hear.
- then after you do that, after you will easy play chords along the song, start playing variations, play in the key different chords and progressions and melodies.

Next step will be
- master your DAW, read manuals
- get good VST synths, get good samples
- learn about song arrangement
- watch tutorials (sonic academy, groove3 etc)

Next step - Mixing
- learn how to mix, practice
- watch tutorials, practice
- read books: Mixing with your mind, Mixing secrets for small studio

Next step, song ideas,
- look for ideas, dont wait for the song idea to come to you, you look for idea
- go to Billboard The hot 100 website, listen to the tracks from your genre
- close your eyes and think what song you will like to hear in this hot 100 chart
Then Make that song.

Remember, success is only few steps ahead from where you want to give up.
Start now, not later, not tomorrow not next week.
Thats it.

do not buy any computer because someone said "xyz is the only computer to use to make music with", this has never been the case, otherwise we would all still be using pdp11's or even the illiac - two of the first computers to be used for music making

the rest of what is offered by simon_rst is sound advice

Find a daw and watch some tutorials on youtube, download ebooks, sample packs. Learn how to compose, arrange. Make it your life! Work Hard! Never Give Up!

If house/EDM is your thing, Future music magazine is a better call than Sound on sound imo. Search Future music magazine on youtube. Lots of good videos there.

Back