Negotiating a Remix Deal

Electronathan

Hello peoples. I've been asked to spec a remix for an artist signed to a major label. So far I've been corresponding with the artist directly and not the label. This gig has sent me on a quest however to research the biz and learn what I'm entitled to ask for especially when the artist is tied to a major label. First off, the priority I'm focusing on is more about banging out a hot track and taking advantage of the exposure vs making a buck. But now what I'm finding equally as important is being able to represent myself professionally to the big-wigs and not come off as some naive jerk uncomfortable about negotiating payment (even though I am!).
I haven't been too successful finding anything regarding what remix artists are entitled to ask for. All I've come across is that it seems to be clumped in with mixing in general. What about producing? What about recomposing/reharmonizing & arranging? What about when they want "your sound on the track"? When you add these components to a work isn't it more than just remixing in the traditional sense? This is where I am the naive jerk looking for help.
It's not so much that I'm trying to maximize my profit, but I want to be able to cover my butt when it comes time to release the work and know whether or not I sign the "standard release agreement" and it excludes all royalties from synchs and public performance of the recording (ala club DJ) etc.
Something rather disappointing too is when I look through books about remixing on amazon and the like they tend to only focus on the romantic studio process and not the business side of acquiring multi-tracks and releasing your goods. But I digress...
Hopefully someone can drop some knowledge and help me. Thanks for reading.
Peace.

here is something to use

DANCE REMIX RECORDING CONTRACT (FLAT FEE)

This AGREEMENT (hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement") is made effective this _____ day of _______________, 200__ by and between ____________________, located at ________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as the “Remixer") and ____________________, located at ________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as the “Company").

WITNESSETH:

In consideration of the respective covenants contained herein, the parties hereto, intending to legally bound hereby, agree as follows:

1. Work-For-Hire. Whereas the Remixer, an employee for hire of the Company, has at its request and under its direction, made the following musical contributions:

Dance remix for the Master recording: _____SONG TITLE_____ by _____ARTIST_____

2. Ownership of Masters. All Masters recorded by Remixer hereunder, from the inception of the recording thereof and all reproductions derived therefrom, together with the performances embodied thereon, shall be the property of Company for the world free from any claims whatsoever by the Remixer or any person deriving any rights or interest from the Remixer. The Masters (referring only to the sound recordings as opposed to the underlying musical works) shall be considered a “work made for hire” for Company.

A. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Company and its designee(s) shall have the exclusive, perpetual, and unlimited right to all the results and proceeds of the uninhibited exploitation of the Masters throughout the Universe (the “Territory"), including, but not limited to

the Masters to third parties for use on a flat-fee and/or royalty basis.

(i) The right to manufacture, advertise, sell, lease, license, distribute or otherwise use or dispose of, in any or all fields of use by any method now or hereafter known, records embodying the Masters delivered hereunder, upon such terms and conditions as Company may elect, or at its discretion to refrain therefrom;

(ii) The right to use, reproduce, print, publish or disseminate in any medium, and to permit others to do the same, Remixer’s name (including any professional name now or hereafter adopted by Remixer), photos, likeness, and biographical material concerning Remixer in all connections which relate in any manner to the Masters or Company, including, without limitation, in the marketing, sale or other exploitation of records, and as news or other information, in connection with Company’s business;

(iii) The right to perform the records publicly and to permit public performances thereof by means of radio broadcast, television or any other method now or hereafter known, and to synchronize such performances with visual images.

(iv) The right to license the Masters to third parties for use on a flat-fee and/or royalty basis.

(v) To include the Masters on compilations with masters by other artists, producers, and/or remixers.

B. All the rights herein granted to Company hereunder shall be for the Universe (the “Territory").

C. Remixer acknowledges that the sale of records is speculative and agrees that the judgment of Company with regard to any matter affecting the sale, distribution and exploitation of such records shall be binding and conclusive upon Remixer. Nothing contained in this Agreement shall obligate Company to make, sell, license, or distribute recordings manufactured from masters recorded hereunder.

3. Publishing. Remixer does hereby relinquish all claims to any publishing rights in regards to the Masters, and the Remixer further acknowledges that the publishing copyright belongs to the original writers of the musical composition that formed the basis the for the Masters.

4. Payment. The enticement and consideration for this Agreement is the promise by the Company to pay the Remixer the amount of $____________. This is a one-time compensation for the Remixer’s and Remixer understands that this will comprise Remixer’s complete and sole payment.

5. Governing Law. This Agreement is entered into in the City of _____CITY_____ and State of _____STATE_____ and is guided by and governed by the laws of that State.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement on the day and year first above written.

AGREED TO AND ACCEPTED:

BY:
“REMIXER”
<<FULL NAME>>

BY:
“COMPANY”
<<COMPANY NAME>>

or this one

DANCE REMIX RECORDING CONTRACT (ROYALTY)

This AGREEMENT (hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement") is made effective this _____ day of _______________, 200__ by and between ____________________, located at ________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as the “Remixer") and ____________________, located at ________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as the “Company").

WITNESSETH:

In consideration of the respective covenants contained herein, the parties hereto, intending to legally bound hereby, agree as follows:

1. Musical Contribution. Whereas the Remixer, an employee for hire of the Company, has at its request and under its direction, made the following musical contributions:

Dance remix for the master sound recording: _____SONG TITLE_____ by _____ARTIST_____ (hereinafter referred to as the “Masters").

2. Ownership of Masters. All Masters recorded by Remixer hereunder, from the inception of the recording thereof and all reproductions derived therefrom, together with the performances embodied thereon, shall be the property of Company for the world free from any claims whatsoever by the Remixer or any person deriving any rights or interest from the Remixer. The Masters (referring only to the sound recordings as opposed to the underlying musical works) shall be considered a “work made for hire” for Company.

A. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Company and its designee(s) shall have the exclusive, perpetual, and unlimited right to all the results and proceeds of the uninhibited exploitation of the Masters throughout the Universe (the “Territory"), including, but not limited to:

(i) The right to manufacture, advertise, sell, lease, license, distribute or otherwise use or dispose of, in any or all fields of use by any method now or hereafter known, records embodying the Masters delivered hereunder, upon such terms and conditions as Company may elect, or at its discretion to refrain therefrom;

(iii) The right to perform the records publicly and to permit public performances thereof by means of radio broadcast, television or any other method now or hereafter known, and to synchronize such performances with visual images.

(iv) The right to license the Masters to third parties for use on a flat-fee and/or royalty basis.

(v) To include the Masters on compilations with masters by other artists, producers, and/or remixers.

B. All the rights herein granted to Company hereunder shall be for the Universe (the “Territory").

C. Remixer acknowledges that the sale of records is speculative and agrees that the judgment of Company with regard to any matter affecting the sale, distribution and exploitation of such records shall be binding and conclusive upon Remixer. Nothing contained in this Agreement shall obligate Company to make, sell, license, or distribute recordings manufactured from masters recorded hereunder.

3. Publishing. Remixer does hereby relinquish all claims to any publishing rights in regards to the Masters, and the Remixer further acknowledges that the publishing copyright belongs to the original writers of the musical composition that formed the basis the for the Masters.

4. Advances. Upon execution of this Agreement, Company shall pay Remixer the sum of $XX,XXX.XX US Dollars. All monies paid to Remixer, on behalf of Remixer, or at the request of Remixer, other than royalties payable pursuant to Paragraph 5 of this Agreement, shall constitute advances to Remixer and shall be fully recoupable by Company from any monies payable under this or any Agreement between Company and Remixer.

5. Royalties. Conditioned upon Remixer’s full and faithful performance of each and all of the terms hereof, Company shall pay Remixer the following royalties in respect of records sold subject to this Agreement, provided first that Company in then in a fully recouped position in accordance with the provisions of this Agreement:

A. A royalty of three (3%) percent of the wholesale list price in the country of manufacture on ninety (90%) percent of all exploitation of the Masters licensed hereunder, after full recoupment of the advance to Remixer described in paragraph 3.

B. As to records not consisting entirely of masters recorded and/or delivered hereunder, the royalty rate otherwise payable to Remixer hereunder with respect to sales of any such record shall be prorated by multiplying such royalty rate by a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of Masters recorded and/or delivered hereunder embodied on such record and the denominator of which is the total number of masters embodied thereon.

C. Company shall have the right to include or to license others to include any one or more of the Masters in promotional records on which such masters and other recordings are included, which promotional records are designed for promotional uses or sale at or slightly above the cost of manufacture. No royalties shall be payable on sales of such promotional records.

D. Remixer shall not be entitled to receive or earn any monies in respect of any exploitation of the Masters for which Company is not entitled to receive or does not earn a royalty or credit.

E. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Agreement, it is specifically understood and agreed that no royalties shall be payable to Remixer hereunder unless and until Company has recouped all recording costs incurred in connection with the Masters hereunder.

F. Royalties in respect of sales of records outside the United States shall be computed in the same national currency as Company is accounted to by its licensees and shall be paid to Remixer at the same rate of exchange as Company is paid. It is understood that such royalties will not be due and payable until payment thereof is received by Company in the United States of America.

6. Governing Law. This Agreement is entered into in the City of _____CITY_____ and State of _____STATE_____ and is guided by and governed by the laws of that State.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement on the day and year first above written.

AGREED TO AND ACCEPTED:

BY:
“REMIXER”
<<FULL NAME>>

BY:
“COMPANY”
<<COMPANY NAME>>

Everything I've read about how a remixer is compensated is that the remixer is paid on a fee-for-service arrangement, no publishing. So it's just a flat fee. You're not entitled to publishing rights.

But, you should consult with an entertainment attorney. A good attorney with connects may even help get you more work in the future.

I thank you both for helping to clarify what remixers are entitled too. And I can't agree more on the implied statement from Lee, "It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know".
Thanks again.

bknot1 said:
here is something to use

DANCE REMIX RECORDING CONTRACT (ROYALTY)

4. Advances. Upon execution of this Agreement, Company shall pay Remixer the sum of $XX,XXX.XX US Dollars. All monies paid to Remixer, on behalf of Remixer, or at the request of Remixer, other than royalties payable pursuant to Paragraph 5 of this Agreement, shall constitute advances to Remixer and shall be fully recoupable by Company from any monies payable under this or any Agreement between Company and Remixer.

So I've had a moment to read over these templates, both of which seem to be at a great advantage of the company, esp paragraph 4, where if I get any future gigs with them they can cross-collateralise any deal I may make with them... Right?
Whatever it implies, I see there is room for improvement, hence I should be prepared to not settle for just any standard agreement.
Any music attorneys out there willing to work pro bono for a remixer? ;)

Last edited:
Dance Remix Recording Contract (flat Fee)

Hi Guys,
Very interesting info on this thread...
I was wondering about something,
is there some kind of definitions by law about what the remixer deserves or doesn't deserve in terms of royalties?

if by law for example let's say that a composer of a song deserves 5% of royalties, than if that composer signs a contract waving all these right is it valid? or can he say later on, that by law the composer derserves 5% and the contract that he signed is not valid or not legal?

so maybe if by law the remixer deserves something, and he signs a contract waving this right, will he be later able to claim it?

thanks...
what i want to understand is that if i sign a remix contract with someone (it's my song and all) - the flat fee contract you mentioned - will he be able to come later and say that by law he deserves this and that and the contract is not valid?

Julian2003,
I think the word "law" is a bit harsh in terms of contracts; it's not like we're going to prison or anything for discrepancies in negotiating ;), nevertheless I totally see where you're coming from.
One big comparison I've come across is that when studying music business stuff, reading contracts and books and forums, it's all theoretical vs when actually talking about these deals in reality. Eventually one will need to know the theoretical stuff when it comes time to lay down your autograph, but the actuall "negotiating" tends to be very open-ended and fellow musicians make up their own ideas about who gets what.
The contracts listed above are of course only templates, very educational templates, but anyone who uses them will most likely modify them into something unique and particular to the project at hand.
But as for your concerns: it would probably be extremely difficult to renogtiate those senarios you mentioned, especially when involved with a recording contract or publishing deal. You'd probably need an awesome lawyer and some serious clout (like this song you gave up all your rights on becomes a hit, you'd get some good clout for the hit, which can be as good as gold in the future!) to make such changes. Theoretically, you would be able to set clauses in a contract where at certian junctions you are given the opporitunity to make some renogiations, but if it's not in the initial deal, you're righty tighty/screwed.
I think in most short term cases, such as a work-for-hire, it may just be best to move on and take the hit, but benefit from the experience. Because maybe someone made serious bank off your work and in the back of your mind you're still feeling like you deserve more, you would be better off taking that with you in the future than going back and dwelling on a past deal. But it all depends of course.
Long term deals -- you obviously need a lawyer to break it all down for you in addition to reading the whole contract yourself. And you gotta find your own MUSIC lawyer and not someone directly affiliated with a label or publishing company.
In theory anyway.
Peace.

Can anyone explain what this part means?

'As to records not consisting entirely of masters recorded and/or delivered hereunder, the royalty rate otherwise payable to Remixer hereunder with respect to sales of any such record shall be prorated by multiplying such royalty rate by a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of Masters recorded and/or delivered hereunder embodied on such record and the denominator of which is the total number of masters embodied thereon.'

Old ass thread but that means you'd get a percentage of the royalties (percentage of a percentage) based on how much original content you contributed to the remix. Whether or not that's how you get paid for a remix I have no idea, I've never dealt with remixing

Old ass thread but that means you'd get a percentage of the royalties (percentage of a percentage) based on how much original content you contributed to the remix. Whether or not that's how you get paid for a remix I have no idea, I've never dealt with remixing

Do you mean as the remixer, you will get a percentage of the ENTIRE release even though you are NOT the copyright holder/original writer? As the 'Company', this is not something I would like to offer a remixer. This does not seem normal.. Obviously, the remixer would not complain about it ;)

Thing is you are thinking in terms of publishing when the contract is about mechanical reproduction rights (royalties has a multitude of meanings in the sphere of creative output)

As a remixer you create a new work based on an existing ne which has been licensed for such purposes - i.e. the copyrights/publishing rights are already accounted for.

When the track is played back or sold, there is an additional set of royalties attached to the sale and playback

As such, a contract even for a fee for hire work needs to stipulate what if anything happens with those specific forms of royalties

Given that you are struggling with the conceptual aspects, I suggest that you discuss with an arts/entertainment law attorney how to structure the contracts to maximise your benefit, compensation and other aspects, just don't expect any prospective remixers to sign quickly without similar consideration from their attorneys

Back