MPC vs FL

D

DS

what does an MPC do that Fruity Loops doesnt?

what kinda sounds does an mpc come with?

would yall recommend a keyboard that lets u do sequencin & **** over an mpc?

get frutiy loops the kid that made a beat for jayz all he use is fruity loops and cool edit...me myself is a hardware person..pick up the new source mag he is in with a tone of other young producers and it tells what they use...check it out. LIke jayz said on the black album FUUCk this shyt!

i'm already a fruity loops & cool edit man :cool: . i was just wondering what all the fuss about mpc's was about

Since FL and Cool Edit works for you, then stick with it. Don't worry about all the hype of the MPC's.

Yes, Hype. A lot of MPC headz are going to get pissed at me for saying this, but F*ck it. It comes down to your abilties and how well you know your equipment or software. I own FL 4 , and use it when it's convienant, but mainly use my hardware samplers, the MPC is one of them. I like the hands on approach and not working with a mouse and looking at a screen. I use my computer to final mix, surf the net, or edit samples in soundforge and cool edit. Like you, I was always checking out reviews, investigating, and wanting to know why so many people felt a certain way about equipment or software. I happened to have some cash flow to invest in the software and hardware. I live on my own by the way and am a grown man, so mom and dad didn't pay for my sh*t, either. If you get an MPC, you may or may not like it. I am serious at my hobby, and saving the money and buying professional equipment instilled my committment in what I do. My samplers have limitations, but each piece of equipment I have brings something new to the table.

Yes, Hype. A lot of MPC headz are going to get pissed at me for saying this, but F*ck it. It comes down to your abilties and how well you know your equipment or software. I own FL 4 , and use it when it's convienant, but mainly use my hardware samplers, the MPC is one of them. I like the hands on approach and not working with a mouse and looking at a screen. I use my computer to final mix, surf the net, or edit samples in soundforge and cool edit. Like you, I was always checking out reviews, investigating, and wanting to know why so many people felt a certain way about equipment or software. I happened to have some cash flow to invest in the software and hardware. I live on my own by the way and am a grown man, so mom and dad didn't pay for my sh*t, either. If you get an MPC, you may or may not like it. I am serious at my hobby, and saving the money and buying professional equipment instilled my committment in what I do. My samplers have limitations, but each piece of equipment I have brings something new to the table.

Ditto.

truth. equipment just might enhance your production by way of the innovations that give you ways to express your concepts alot more easily than working with software. but it works vice versa as well. i heard people do things in reason that would take hella money to do with hardware. it's mostly bout your abilty.:cheers:

for the millionth time
ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, ITS HOW YOU USE IT!
you will not get a good sound out of FL unless you know how to use it, the same with an mpc. some people are like, "well my favorite producer uses an mpc so i MUST HAVE it!"
that is BS, go ahead and spend your grand+ on a mpc, but if you dont take the time to learn about your craft, it is pointless. if you are a newbie, go with FL or maybe the mpc 1000, cuz its cheaper, and see it this is that you want to do. phuck the FL vs. MPC debate, i dont care how the music is made, as long as it is GOOD!

PBoyProducer said:
for the millionth time
ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, ITS HOW YOU USE IT!
you will not get a good sound out of FL unless you know how to use it, the same with an mpc. some people are like, "well my favorite producer uses an mpc so i MUST HAVE it!"
that is BS, go ahead and spend your grand+ on a mpc, but if you dont take the time to learn about your craft, it is pointless. if you are a newbie, go with FL or maybe the mpc 1000, cuz its cheaper, and see it this is that you want to do. phuck the FL vs. MPC debate, i dont care how the music is made, as long as it is GOOD!

I agree, and I stay out of Vs. threads, but why is MPC Professional, and FL not?

Because just blaze uses it so to be like him u MUST 1.USE AN MPC N SAY FL IS WACK. 2.ShAVE UR BALLS WITH THE GILLETTE SENSOR MACH 3.

what i think Diontes asking is what are the advantages of the MPC????

and i don't use one so i wouldn't know.

DionteScott said:
what does an MPC do that Fruity Loops doesnt?

what kinda sounds does an mpc come with?

would yall recommend a keyboard that lets u do sequencin & **** over an mpc?

I got my MPC in 98. The sound that it came with were ok, nothing special. I had a classic 808 kit. It came with only 4 floppies. There was a jazz kit too, which had some dope snares. Not very much to start with so its good to have some of your own samples already.

I had mine hooked up to my Kurzweil 2000, so yeah, I'd recommend it. Worked awesome.

To answer your what does an MPC do that FL doesn't. I would honestly say not much. But it does everything Better.

Re: Re: MPC vs FL

Zer0PointEnergY said:

To answer your what does an MPC do that FL doesn't. I would honestly say not much. But it does everything Better.

im not trying to argue with you, but, explain how it does everything better??
now don't get me wrong either, i use FL, but i LOVE the hands one feel of hardware, a lot of people are bias towards that. but is it just a quality thing?? what is it?? lol

Re: Re: Re: MPC vs FL

PBoyProducer said:

im not trying to argue with you, but, explain how it does everything better??
now don't get me wrong either, i use FL, but i LOVE the hands one feel of hardware, a lot of people are bias towards that. but is it just a quality thing?? what is it?? lol

thats cool man.

Well, one example that I could give would be actually programming your beats with the numbers in the steps, opposed to just visual reference in FL either in the step sequencer, or piano roll. This makes for more precise, and accurate drum programming. Also the fact that you can 'zoom in' further, and program more then 1/4 notes, accurately. In order to more then 1/4 notes in FL you have to turn the snap to one, and eyeball it.

The pressure sensitive, big phat drum pads are of course excellent for free styling your beats, something which you can't do in FL.

Just to name a couple off the top of my head. Honestly its a close run between the two IMO. I just think that the MPC has the edge only a little bit.

But when it comes to just starting out, FL is way Eazier. I would recommend FL to a beginner over the MPC anyday...then I would save your money, and get and MPC.

Re: Re: Re: Re: MPC vs FL

Zer0PointEnergY said:

thats cool man.

Well, one example that I could give would be actually programming your beats with the numbers in the steps, opposed to just visual reference in FL either in the step sequencer, or piano roll. This makes for more precise, and accurate drum programming. Also the fact that you can 'zoom in' further, and program more then 1/4 notes, accurately. In order to more then 1/4 notes in FL you have to turn the snap to one, and eyeball it.

The pressure sensitive, big phat drum pads are of course excellent for free styling your beats, something which you can't do in FL.

Just to name a couple off the top of my head. Honestly its a close run between the two IMO. I just think that the MPC has the edge only a little bit.

But when it comes to just starting out, FL is way Eazier. I would recommend FL to a beginner over the MPC anyday...then I would save your money, and get and MPC.

ok....so check this...
i see what you are saying with the step and numbers..but in fruity..in the piano roll, you can program more than 1/4 notes also
what i do is set the bar length to 32 (ver. 3) or 8 (ver. 4) and double the tempo. i.e. 90 bmp=180, ect. this will give you 1/32 notes.

also in FL, in the piano roll you can click on the note and in the note property window, you can program you notes so you don't have to eyeball it. i usually don't need to do this, but if you need to, you can.

then you can bang in your beats with a midi controller.

i think im just a FL freak or something, so i figured these things out. i didnt know you could program like that on a mpc though. i only got to use one once, and that is when i first started. i didnt know what it was, this guy let me and my boy come play on his stuff, he had a mpc, triton, one of those yamaha multitracks, i look back now and im like if i only knew..lol

but i will probably get that akai midi controller and bang my beats in through that..lol..it has the 16 pads like a mpc!!

what i do is set the bar length to 32 (ver. 3) or 8 (ver. 4) and double the tempo. i.e. 90 bmp=180, ect. this will give you 1/32 notes.

Yeah, I know about this, but I don't like working that way. Its more of a trick then an option of a way to program.

also in FL, in the piano roll you can click on the note and in the note property window, you can program you notes so you don't have to eyeball it. i usually don't need to do this, but if you need to, you can.

Yeah, good point. But the way its set up, makes it longer, and less effective...too many steps to accomplish the task.

I think FL needs to rethink how everything works, and make the user interface more effective...but in doing this, it might make it not as 'noob' friendly.

:cheers:

^^^YUp.....ZPE is right...
Most hardware seuqncers work on muting/un muting tracks, where as FL is just all tracks and you fill the little boxes in the step sequncer. Muting/un muting tracks to get new drops sounds more realistic, more live, and not as robotic as repeating the same breaks.

FL is like a cheap $40 guitar at the pawn shop. You can't compare a $40 guitar to a $1499 Gibson Voodoo Les Paul. Even after you replace the strings, pickups, and knobs, you'll NEVER get close. They're designed for different purposes. A guitarist would never use his first guitar his whole career, unless he was really broke.

Last edited:
This FL vs MPC thing is actually very simple....

With an MPC you can create high quality detailed beats faster and possibly more creatively because of the handz on approach. aait?

Now FL; because is it software, coupled with an audio editor like cool edit, makes its infinitely more versatile than a thousand MPCs. The problem is of course the huge amounts of time involved in tweaking and editing.

so tis the trade off: MPC = fast FL = versatile (as simply put as possible)

The Red Bull music academy is currently taking place here and i've been invited to attend. Yesterday i attended a lecture given by Bob Moog (if you don't know who he is then you should) about the future of music production in which he reckoned that music production hardware would soon be a thing of the past as software increasingly pushes the goal posts far out of reach of the hardware manufacters. the theory was that eventually hardware will be midi/usb controller interfaces only and software will be the main driving force behind production.

i'm not 100% sure if i like that idea, but he still made some good points. anyway... gone way off topic.:D

peac

i feel what you all are saying, but IMO the user interface is not that bad in FL. it has a wav editor, effects and you can load up effects in it etc. but as far as not being able to make complex beats, i think that is untrue. the MAJORITY of people who use it are not that good, so they make a loop, and repeat it in the playlist 1000 times and call it a beat, and are happy with that.

i put everything in its own pattern, my hi hats will have like 4 or 5 different patterns, same with drums, ect. basically everything has its own pattern, even a sound effect. then i name them in the playlist and lay out my intro, verses and hooks...and its done. i KNOW for a fact most people dont do this, so when you hear their stuff you like, you should change it up more!

now i know one thing that is true about FL vs. MPC, it is the sound quallity. the MPC just sounds better. the drums hit harder, etc. i can get close to that on FL with use of effects and mastering it, but it never seems "there"

Back