Hi, my label is doing an October Remix Contest

Duals

Hey what's good?

Looking forward to meeting everyone here. My name is Duals and I am very much about the independent movement and I just started my own label, which I am looking to develop, promote and sign artists. My label is called Growth Of Culture.

I have been described as an eclectic and genreless artist and I see myself as making emotional human music. While I innovate in all types of muisc, my roots are in hip hop and I have been writing and freestyling since I was a child.

We are currently holding a remix contest on my label for dope producers and you can check out the details on our site.

Feel free to add me on twitter and message me at Dualsrecords
Best of Love

-Duals

Hi

I just went on your site.

This isn't exactly a 'remix competition' is it?

You're only sending out the vocal and not the stems to the original track. There's nothing to 'actually' remix is there?

Essentially, this is a call out for free beats under the guise of competition.

Where's the line between 'hustle' and 'scam' on this one. Genuinely curious...

Noguru

To be fair.. Man is offering a 50/50 split on 'proceeds'. I'm just not sure on the method from an ethical standpoint.

The producer would be creating a new beat around the vocals. If you check the site it shows the old song where they can draw imagination from to come up with their own original mix around the vocals.

I took the concept from the collab with Pap contest, look here at www dot beatstars dot com/papoose-remix-contest/ (I can't add links on this site yet)

I don't know what about it seems like a scam to you, all of the details are layed out clearly in the instructions of how it plays out.

If it's not for you that's cool, but I don't see what it is unclear about it if you read the instructions.

I did my album by myself and I have started branching out and working with other producers lately, hope to have a new mixtape out by early next year with a lot of collabs.

I saw the collab with Pap contest as a good idea that I can branch out and meet a lot of producers to potentially collaborate with more with in the future and offer a fun competition challenge in the midst to see what the song can sound like with different producers. I will only be choosing one winner and the rest, well it will be a great way for me to network and meet other producers doing their thing in the game.

Hope that clears the contest up a bit for you.

I don't think it's a scam as such... Just that I think marketing it as a completion rather than a search for suitable collaborators is misleading... I could've phrased myself better and for that I apologise.
I'm an old man dude... I like for things to be way they claim to be.

Well, in a way it is both. The original completion is there for them to have initial inspiration from, but I want all original elements. I want to see what the different producers can do of their own creativity with the vocals and theme.

It is a production competition and artist networking is drawn out of that. At the same time this is marketing for the label, I have already collaborated with other artists and producers.

Making a post begging for producers is unprofessional and not what I want. I want to test the creativity of producers that would mesh well with what was created and that would make a good fit to work with.

This is expanding my business and growing with other artists who are passionate about this hustle, hence why we are paying 50%, this is not asking for free production. I produce myself, but am looking for something fresh on this project.

definition of remix is unclear at the best of times in my opinion

- I have always taken it to mean creating a new track to the existing vocal

- however, others define it as simply taking the stems of the original and applying their own take on eq, fx, etc

to op: if this is a production competition then the original stems should be provided; what you are asking is for people to create new backings for the same vocals (which may or may not change the entire vibe of the piece) this makes it a composition and production competition

definition of remix is unclear at the best of times in my opinion

- I have always taken it to mean creating a new track to the existing vocal

- however, others define it as simply taking the stems of the original and applying their own take on eq, fx, etc

to op: if this is a production competition then the original stems should be provided; what you are asking is for people to create new backings for the same vocals (which may or may not change the entire vibe of the piece) this makes it a composition and production competition

I was thinking remix in the first sense of the words you used.
But I'll update it to Production Competition on the website to make it more clear for people, thanks.

Back