Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External hard drive or cloud storage or both?

Thanks

Wink External hard drive or cloud storage or both?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys

Just joined this forum so this is my first post
    Pretty soon I'm gonna be moving into a new flat and I want to get into music production as well as mixing. I've figured out a lot of the hardware I wanna get already but when it comes to storage, I'm not really sure. I'm thinking of getting a regular external hard drive to take with me but also keeping a backup on a network drive in the flat plugged in via ethernet so I can access all my music from any device at home. Also, might use some kind of cloud service to have an extra backup.

Any suggestions on particular models? I want somethhing affordable but I don't want to cop out on quality

Thanks
    western digital all day and twice on sundays - toshiba as the next - Seagate and maxtor (a seagate brand name) have died terrible short lives in my experience and also reported widely by google in terms of their server farms

I would caution you against solely relying on cloud storage as if the company goes bust (or if they get shut down for piracy related offences as in the kim-dot-com debacle in NZ) you will lose your data

nas storage via ethernet/tcp-ip networking is good and if you can set up a virtual private network connection you can also access your files from anywhere in the world
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    at dealnews.com or slickdeals.com there is an INTEL 530 Series 480 GB for $240. And a Intel 530 Series 240 GB for $120 about.

Get what suites your needs. External if you plan on switching computers and plus it might be more easy to retain your work on a clean install.
    https://soundcloud.com/anthony-lowery/opposite
    Thrash, bluegrass EDM, and metal

Thanks
    Last edited by bandcoach; 10-08-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    infinity i would suggest only using the cloud for files under 50mb unless you have that google fiber it's useless to use cloud man.

And then harddrives last for what?a decade?you could save up for a couple 1-4tb harddrives, download everything you need to and call it a day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    nas storage via ethernet/tcp-ip networking is good and if you can set up a virtual private network connection you can also access your files from anywhere in the world
    This is a good solution. I use a NAS box with RAID 1 for all my important stuff. As stated above, wouldn't put all my trust in cloud storage services.
    Last edited by jyri; 10-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks
    agreed

- I have 3 NAS boxes right now and soon to commission a 4th

- currently have 4Tb of NAS storage

- no RAID in the formal automatic sense, but I do ensure data redundancy across the various drives

- at Christmas each year I do major backups to dvd (and this year to bluray) of all new work to ensure that I have additional means of recovering work if needed
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Intel is actually the best in the industry and are the most reliable. Not all SSD's are fast. Some are only 200 mb/s while INtels are fast and reliable at the same time, the 530 series ranges in the 500 range of 500 mb/s. Youre getting a better performance for the money. Why buy an SSD unless it's fast? Might as well get the best, fastest, most reliable ones if they are just tens of dollars more. Actually 12 dollars more in this case.
    Last edited by MadAnthony81; 10-09-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks
    except that a SSD does not provide the capacity that regular hard drives do

go back and reread the original statement of intent and subsequent questions, which do not suggest that ssd is a factor to be considered here given the need for portable and network storage access
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine_Infinity View Post
    Hey guys

Just joined this forum so this is my first post
    Pretty soon I'm gonna be moving into a new flat and I want to get into music production as well as mixing. I've figured out a lot of the hardware I wanna get already but when it comes to storage, I'm not really sure. I'm thinking of getting a regular external hard drive to take with me but also keeping a backup on a network drive in the flat plugged in via ethernet so I can access all my music from any device at home. Also, might use some kind of cloud service to have an extra backup.

Any suggestions on particular models? I want somethhing affordable but I don't want to cop out on quality
    An Intel 530 Series is fast and quality. Does this answer your question?

Is 240-480 GB large enough?

From what I understand the 530 Series is much more reliable than the 520 Series. The only problem I have had with my 520 Series is that I used incinerator on it and it damaged it. A big no no. Don't incinerate on an SSD. I don't know if it is possible ona 530 series but I think they do run smoother and more fluidly from what I was told.

One other suggestion I have is to buy what I have now. A Seagte 1TB Hybrid SSD. It has an 8GB SSD onboard and a 7200 RPM 1TB HD. It runs smooth but not much more of a noticeable difference than my hardrive. A 33% increase is hardly noticed but perhaps it might be the increase your looking for. I can't wait to get another SSD. It screams so fast and it will be nice for fast load up of drums and DAW stuff.

I hope I have helped offer a valuable answer to the question as the SSD are actually fast and reliable and are now large enough and cheap enough to accommodate lots of information.

Thread Information