drum machines

A

Anton seats

I've only recently started to research equipment and have heard that an mpc style
sampling based drum machine is the best option, but as I'm completely broke what do you think of those cheap zoom drum machines with built in drum sounds? I can get one for around 250 Australian dollars (around 300 US) and want to know If it is a waste of time.

Yes and no. That doesn't help, I know. But it is if you really need it for backing purposes. I mean, it doesn't suck too bad. But saving as long as you have to for a MPC 1000 or even a used ASRX would be worth it in the long run as Zoom products do not hold resale value very well and you will get tired of it quick.

Last edited:
Yeah zoom products suck,I had a zoom as my first beat machine and it wasn't worth half of what I paid for it!

Last edited:
Anton seats said:
I've only recently started to research equipment and have heard that an mpc style
sampling based drum machine is the best option.

Why has every decient easy-to-use sample/drum machine that has been discontinued was replaced with the MPC? I cant find anything that I can actually use for sampling without spending 3,000+ dollars for an MPC. I'm sure it works great for hip-hop and techno but, what about simple rock music? I'm better off using the "jam station" by boss. No offense to MPC users, but I really want to know is, is that the only option I have?

-Geoff

geoff_emerick said:

Why has every decient easy-to-use sample/drum machine that has been discontinued was replaced with the MPC? I cant find anything that I can actually use for sampling without spending 3,000+ dollars for an MPC. I'm sure it works great for hip-hop and techno but, what about simple rock music? I'm better off using the "jam station" by boss. No offense to MPC users, but I really want to know is, is that the only option I have?

-Geoff

Geoff, the software/hardware battles are over. Software won by a landslide. I am in a MPC4000 user group and they are always complaining about bugs. The $3000 machine can't even preview samples!

For that price u can get a pc-tft/laptop with loads of FXs and soft. Use your old drum machine to trigher samples.

Any sampler will do for rock, as long as u have a rock library. No drum machine will help u. gigasampler, halion, Flstudio.

If u have all that a used MPC might simplify performance set up if u have the money.

my first drum machine was the zoom rt123 and I actually loved it and still do like it. But a sampled based drum machine is better imo cuz you can load in any sound you want. Plus the midi sequencing on the mpc is superb for hardware...

I have been beating with a PC based studio for 8 years, and it has no limit, that's true.

I included in my setup a MPC2000XL and a mixer and believe me man; they have them own sound, nothing similiar with only PC station based.

It's simple man: the two choice are good for beating, the only diff is the sound you get.

I have always work with computers and I am really acustomted to use them, much easier than any pieace of hardware (for me) but some specifics hard-devices are indispensable if you wanna get pro. That will be reflected in your beats.

Just ask yourself... 'do I wanna get pro or simply beating for my friends?'

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to get really thick? For the price of an MPC2000xl, you could probably find a real SP1200. It don't get any more real than that for hip-hop, except an 808. If you have any questions about whether I'm right, I got one name for you that will remove any doubt: Hank Shocklee. Find out who is and what he did, then listen to it, and you'll know.

Ape

Hell yeah Pongoid.

As for the RT123, I picked one up quite a while ago for cheaper than cheap, and I still use now and again. There's a lot of really bad drum sounds, and some really interesting and unique ones.

TOSKO said:
I
I have always work with computers and I am really acustomted to use them, much easier than any pieace of hardware (for me) but some specifics hard-devices are indispensable if you wanna get pro. That will be reflected in your beats.

Just ask yourself... 'do I wanna get pro or simply beating for my friends?'

Right,

PC's are not the BEST choice but they are the most cost effective solution by far.

Later u can start adding used samplers etc.

If u dont have lots of spare dow laying around... start with the pc sampler.

Once u get going start buying more stuff.

I u can make beats using a pc, the problem might be elsewhere..

sorry, u lot may think im an absolute twat for asking this.. but ive gotten into producing on logic and no one has shown me the ropes... so can someone explain WHAT exactly one uses a drum machine for? for example if u can make beats on ur music studio??

If you are broke FruityStudio is your kit.

www.fruitystudio.com

Besides being the best drum machine for the money. It has a pluggin called Beat Slicer. You can take drum loops and put them right into fruity. I use this all the time and then reprogram the groove. You can build amazing grooves use this.

DJ Foolery said:
sorry, u lot may think im an absolute twat for asking this.. but ive gotten into producing on logic and no one has shown me the ropes... so can someone explain WHAT exactly one uses a drum machine for? for example if u can make beats on ur music studio??

There is NO real reason to use a drum machine today. Pc's are much more powerful.

However! dedicated hardware can help your creativity stay on music and far from OS, latency, bios, vst, dx etc.

Once u control a drum machine, sampler etc it becomes transparent and u can compose and play effortlessly.

They work great as scartch pad tools. They also have "different" sound, this is true with samplers. On pc the sound is always buffered by drivers, hardware devices have direct sound output. It might be subtle but there is a difference

You must not play live, and are probably not too familiar with the joys of real analog gear, from the sound of things.

Ape

There is NO real reason to use a drum machine today. Pc's are much more powerful.

Yes and no. PC are more powerful. However I love the sound of my LinnDrum. Its beautiful. I have simmons pads for it so I can program it in realtime but I can do also live fills. I've heard the same for Akia samplers -S900 ( you need a sequencer though). I believe you can use triggers but don't hold me to it. Its how you use your equipment. I still use my Korg DDM 110. Infact I abused the original and bought another. Prince has gone back to his Linn LM1. According to an interview with Keyboard. Its not just a sound but a way of thinking. I have a TR 626 that is regularly spit on. My partner made a slamming groove with it and I've been hooked ever since. I've sample it on EPS, Soundfonts that can be loaded into FruityLoops. I often work with a guitar or synth and a drum machine. Sometimes the synth is software, sometimes not. Sometime the drum machine fruity often not. I hope that answers the question. Drum machines are still important if you think so. They is no right or wrong way. It nice to have options. Everyone has there way of doing things. Find yours. The good news is that ebay has made it easy and affordable to get good used drum machines. BTW what are some of your favorite drum machines. Mine are Linn 9000, Seqential Circuts Drum Trax, Tr 606, Emu SP-1200 and Yamaha RX11 (great for that dirty electro sound attempt at real drums)

Back