Truth is, nobody gives a shit about your rap beats....

j.troup

It's true. Truth be told, you aren't selling any rap beats. Every dude on the internet is making "beats". I talked to a 12 year old yesterday, and he's making beats. It's pathetic out here.

Plus, rappers don't wanna pay, and you're mad.

So why not change the game up? We all know where the real money is. Taylor Swift. Kelly Clarskon. Pink. One Direction.

COUNTRY AND POP.

So why not switch genres?

Think you can't do it? I did it. And these pop/country artists are paying me very nicely to write and produce for them, whereas rappers were complaining about $35/hr studio time.

Think you can't do it? Yes you can. And here are the tools that I use to make the pop/country music that I make, and that the Pro's make.(none of these products are associated with me, I'm not making any money off of them, I'm just giving some free game to my FP brethren)

1) You claim you don't know music theory, and that's stopping you. Bullshit. You don't need to know music theory. All you need to know is how to STAY ON KEY.

So download this app on your phone/tablet. It's called THE CHORD WHEEL. It's $6.99. That's McDonalds money.

Truth be told, I'm a trained musician, and I don't know music theory. But I do know what sounds good. So I use THE CHORD WHEEL app to tap out a chord progression that sounds good to me.

mzl.hcecsguq.320x480-75.jpg

In this picture, it's highlighting the key of E. And every chord that's in that boxed in area, are all the chords in that key.

So in the key of E, there are these chords

E Major
F Sharp Minor
G Sharp Minor
A Major
B Major
C Sharp Minor
D Sharp (diminished) (don't worry about this one, you'll rarely use it)

And then we go back to E Major.

So just touch the screen, stay within that box, and make up a little 4 bar sequence that sounds good to you.

You can even google "Popular Chord Progressions" to make it STUPID SIMPLE.

Whatever you choose, WRITE THOSE CHORDS DOWN. You're gonna need them in part 2.

NEXT...

2) Now that you got a melody, you need a piano / synth sequence.

So download this app:CHORD BOT - $4.99 - That's LESS THAN a Large Drink at the movie theater

This is your INSTANT PIANO PLAYER. It has all kinds of pre-programmed sequences in it, that make you sound like you have an actual piano player in your studio. All you have to do is plug in the chords.

screen568x568.jpeg

So take those chords from your progression you made up in THE CHORD WHEEL, and plug those into CHORDBOT.

Thing is about CHORDBOT, is that it even has a SONG-O-MATIC feature, where it will CHOOSE 4 chords that sound good together! And you just keep going thru SONG-O-MATIC until you find a progression that you like. Then you can EXPORT THE MIDI SEQUENCE from ChordBot, and put them into your sequencer of choice, and assign any patch you want to to the track. So whether you want a piano, or a synth, or an EP or WHATEVER, you got instant professional piano player.

3) Next you need a Professional GUITAR PLAYER, right??

Simple. Download (preferably purchase) these VSTi's...Illya Efimov Acoustic Strum - $100 - That's less than the Jordan's you have on your feet.

This is THE MOST REALISTIC GUITAR VST OUT. Hands down. Trust me, I've tried them all. This shit sound REAL. And it's DUMB SIMPLE to use...​

ags_strum_tab_kontakt.png

So you remember those chords you used in part's 1 and 2?? Well using that same chord sequence that you exported from Chord Bot, put them on a new track with this baby loaded up. Then bang, you got instant chord strums.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!

Wanna get fancy with it? You want arpeggiations and real sounding strum sequences? No problem. This thing has a BUNCH of pre-programmed strumming sequences that you can choose from....

lp_strum_listpat.jpg

So choose whatever Style and Pattern sounds good, copy the same midi sequence that you exported from ChordBot, load up this bad boy, and let it do the rest. They have an Acoustic AND a Les Paul electric version of this joint too!

4) Next you need LIVE DRUMS, right??

Okay, simple. You need STYLUS RMX Xpanded - Okay, this one is $379. MUCH less than that Xbox One and Playstation 4 that you were planning on getting in November!

Stylus RMX has every kind of percussion sequence imaginable. Not only that, every single sequence is FULLY MIDI EDITABLE, so that you can change stuff up however you need to, to fit whatever style of music that you're playing. It's DUMB EASY.

47697_g4.jpg

With this joint, you can pick from literally THOUSANDS of drum and percussion sequences, and play them live in your track. Gone are the days of trying to program your drums to sound "real". With this thing you literally just grab that blue box, drag and drop it into your sequencer, and POW, instant live drums, that are midi editable.Honestly, THAT'S IT. With these tools, used the way I just showed you, you can create ANY GENRE. You don't need a drummer, a live guitar player, nothing like that. Because it's all in your computer.

If you need help on chord fingerings, you can use these links right here, to charts that show you the fingerings for all of your major chord variations:

http://hopewellcreative.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pianochordchart1.jpg

http://hopewellcreative.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pianochordchart2.jpg

Here are some examples of instrumentals and songs I've done using exactly the process and tools I outlined above...

(Using Illya Efimov Acoustic Strum and LP Strum, Stylus RMX, A kick from Reason, and 2 synths from Omnisphere)

(Using Illya Efimov Acoustic Strum, Alicia's Keys, Cello from EWQL Gypsy, Strings from EWQL Orchestra Gold, and a few pads from Omnisphere)

(Using Bass and Electric Guitar from EQWL Ministry of Rock, Alicia's Keys, drums from Stylus RMX, and a few synths from Omnisphere)

(Using Illya Efimov Acoustic Strum and LP Strum, Alicia's Keys, Violin from EWQL Gypsy and Cello from Silk, Strings from Miroslav Philharmonik, Drums from Stylus RMX, and various bells and voices from Omnisphere)

So FP...stop complaining about rappers not buying your beats. Cuz trust, these pop / country singers are SERIOUS, and they are paying that BREAD.

So like 50 said "gone head switch the style up, and if they hate, then let em hate, and watch the money pile up!"

(and if you wonder why you haven't seen me round these parts in a while, it's cuz of just what i typed above...i'm too busy making this money)

Last edited:
Alot of what you say is true but you if you really wanna get in any genre producing you gotta grind,grind,grind and grind some more. Build relationships and network it's really the key to opening some of the doors and once you do you gotta make great music.

Alot of what you say is true but you if you really wanna get in any genre producing you gotta grind,grind,grind and grind some more. Build relationships and network it's really the key to opening some of the doors and once you do you gotta make great music.

Absolutely. But if you're grinding and networking with people who aren't going to pay you for your services (and they don't know nobody who's gonna pay you for your services), then all you're doing is creating a huge network of nobody's.

This thread was so that people can get the tips and tools to help them expand their sound, thus expanding their network to people who actually have money and who actually invest in their career aspirations.

Last edited:
Absolutely. But if you're grinding and networking with people who aren't going to pay you for your services (and they don't know nobody who's gonna pay you for your services), then all you're doing is creating a huge network of nobody's.

This thread was so that people can get the tips and tools to help them expand their sound, thus expanding their network to people who actually have money and who actually invest in their career aspirations.

pretty much, good thread

i gave up on looking at hip hop or urban music as a way to make money except for taking the budgets of the new artists on the label that the label doesnt really care about.

pretty much, good thread

i gave up on looking at hip hop or urban music as a way to make money except for taking the budgets of the new artists on the label that the label doesnt really care about.

Only way that I really make money off of urban artists is from studio time. And they just bring in free soundclick beats and record to them. If they're on the top charts on Soundclick, I've recorded rappers to their beats. lol, I made more money off their beats than they did! lol

Reason I did this thread, is because there are SOOO many people like me who "know music" but don't really know the theory behind it, to take their music to the next level.

For instance, I knew what notes (sound wise) were in a particular key. So me being on key was never a problem. But I didn't know how to do bridges, B-Sections, etc, because I didn't know chord progressions.

Before when I was making a bridge, I would just transpose that section either up or down. Until I got The Chord Wheel, I didn't understand that Bridges were just a different chord sequence, but it was all in the same key of the song. I thought that the key of the song changed during the bridge.

With The Chord Wheel app, it's easy as hell for me to create variations in the song, and still keep it in the same key. Now Pre-Hook's, Bridges, and all that stuff are absolutely NO PROBLEM. Cuz all i gotta do is tap on the app until I find a progression that sounds good to me, and then plug those chords into ChordBot.

Then of course, I can't play piano for shit. Chordbot took care of that. Plug the chords in, choose a piano/arp sequence, then boom.

And the guitar? Those Efimov VSTi's were a GODSEND. I don't even have to midi in the guitar arpeggio's anymore. All I gotta do is midi in the chord sequence, and let the VSTi do the rest.

Shit almost feels like cheating. But fcuk it. Whatever makes the song hot. lol

So with these tools, I can push my music much further, and stop spending so much time trying to FIGURE OUT HOW to do the things I hear in my head, and more time actually DOING THEM.

Don't say that. I care about you guys' rap beats. Don't let J. Troup bully you into selling out and going country or pop. Keep it real and keep it rugged. Hip hop needs you! The streets need you! Streets are watching and once you sell out, kiss your hood pass goodbye.

As for me, I sold out a long time ago and I have licensed a great deal of EDM, Pop, and Rock music. I actually have been getting into Country music. A lot of it is just a southern form of Rock music. Besides acoustic guitars, Country songs use ukeleles, electric guitars, and other stringed instruments.

As for me, I sold out a long time ago and I have licensed a great deal of EDM, Pop, and Rock music. I actually have been getting into Country music. A lot of it is just a southern form of Rock music. Besides acoustic guitars, Country songs use ukeleles, electric guitars, and other stringed instruments.

Once I started actually STUDYING country music (instead of just listening for enjoyment), I realized that ALL OF THIS MUSIC IS THE SAME.

Same progressions, same structure. Only difference is the instruments that are used.

Pop will use a synth. Rock will use a Les Paul. Country will use a Telecaster.

It's just different instruments that are used. And sometimes a slightly different swing. But other than that, it's really all the same shit.

But what about that hardcore country shit..............them rednecks worse than hip hop fans. I mean, a soft rappers might get a bottle thrown at him on stage, but a male pop country artist? He might get dragged off the stage by a Z71!

I don't think they ready........you trying to get these rap beat making ass dudes to make artist commit suicide!!!!!

Don't waste $7 on that app.

AutoChords: Chord Progression Generator

Truth is, you need to MAKE artists give a shit about your beats. The amount of effort you put into marketing yourself directly relates to the amount of sales you will receive. I have not ventured out into other genres under my producing name, and I have not had an issue selling beats.

Don't waste $7 on that app.

AutoChords: Chord Progression Generator

Truth is, you need to MAKE artists give a shit about your beats. The amount of effort you put into marketing yourself directly relates to the amount of sales you will receive. I have not ventured out into other genres under my producing name, and I have not had an issue selling beats.

But if you don't understand the relationship between the chords, fifths, sevenths, majors, minors, diminished, etc, the auto chord generator doesn't really do a whole lot.

Or maybe you just wanted to be right. In which case, please proceed. There's more than one way to sell a beat.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

So your a trained musician that DOESN'T know music theory ehh? .... :hmmm: ..:berzerk: Lmfao

Yes. There are plenty of people that can read and write music, but they don't understand the theory behind it. I'm one of those people.

I can play an A when I see it written on the staff. But if someone played an A on a piano and asked me what note it was, I couldn't tell them.

It's like being able to play by ear, but not being able to read music. No shame in that. I've been reading music since I was 8. Never bothered to learn the true theory behind it.

Once I got The Chord Wheel, all that stuff (Circle of Fifth's, etc) that my choir teacher was talking, that's been stored in my head for all these years, finally made sense.

It turned from useless gibberish, into actual useful musical knowledge.

I'm curious what makes you think breaking through as a Country producer is any easier than breaking through in Hip-Hop?

Do up-and-coming Country artists pay for instrumentals any more often than indie rappers pay for beats?

You have to go through the same grind. Promotion, finding artists, perfecting your sound (You'll be going up against Nashville's finest), gaining contacts. There are the same closed doors with their respective gatekeepers. Same hills to climb.

I'm all up for changing lanes, but there's no fast-track.

I'm curious what makes you think breaking through as a Country producer is any easier than breaking through in Hip-Hop?

Do up-and-coming Country artists pay for instrumentals any more often than indie rappers pay for beats?

You have to go through the same grind. Promotion, finding artists, perfecting your sound (You'll be going up against Nashville's finest), gaining contacts. There are the same closed doors with their respective gatekeepers. Same hills to climb.

As a songwriter/producer, country (pop or whatever kind of country) has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more benifits than being a "hip hop" songwriter/producer.

BUT........on the other side of things is it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more expensive. Country artist most of the time have "real musicians" on stage. Usually have dedicated bands they work with outside of the "songwriter/producer".

Which is a win/win for the songwriter/producer. Even if the vsts will never have enough "soul" for certain country music fans, they still win if say it is to be used for an R&B artist later instead.

J.Troup is a fuucking crook!!!!!!! :) :cheers: lol!

Been saying though, fuuck them vsts and how real they are, and find you that Pink Flyod T shirt wearing MFer..............he would be insalted if you charged him to play......because he doesn't think he is good anyway.....as he is wondering how in the hell his favorite bands did this and did that.....he will give you those chords just to say he was in the studio recording.

Goes for any other person playing an instrument. Most of them don't think they are good just because of the "more skilled players" they know......BUT THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Last edited:

I never said it was a "fast track". And who said anything about breaking through. FCUK BREAKING THROUGH!!!

The break through is making a living from the craft that you love. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE working with aspiring artists. Teenagers and young adults who JUST WANT TO SING. They are the biggest joy to work with. Every song they do is like them opening up a Christmas present . It's crazy gratifying.

And yes, up and coming country/pop artists pay for services way quicker than up and coming rappers / R&B artists. I make 10 times the money from Non Urban artists. Simply because THEY ARE SERIOUS.

Nobody's talking about breaking through. I'm talking about making money from your craft. That's what I'm all about. F breaking through.

Been there, done that. No Thank You!!

Now you guys are getting into the money thing.

When was the last time you listened to country....and now you wanna make country beats? Nah, you don't love it, Hip-Hop is your girlfriend, don't dump her for another girl you don't like just cuz she's got more money.

As a songwriter/producer, country (pop or whatever kind of country) has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more benifits than being a "hip hop" songwriter/producer.

BUT........on the other side of things is it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more expensive. Country artist most of the time have "real musicians" on stage. Usually have dedicated bands they work with outside of the "songwriter/producer".

The real musicians on stage are the artists' responsibility. You just have to create/write/engineer stuff that sounds good. It's the artists responsibility to find a band that can play the stuff live.

Which is a win/win for the songwriter/producer. Even if the vsts will never have enough "soul" for certain country music fans, they still win if say it is to be used for an R&B artist later instead.

All this new country is, is pop with a vocal twang and a telecaster. Shit all sounds the same.

J.Troup is a fuucking crook!!!!!!! :) :cheers: lol!

As they say, the good ones borrow...the great ones steal!

Been saying though, fuuck them vsts and how real they are, and find you that Pink Flyod T shirt wearing MFer..............he would be insalted if you charged him to play......because he doesn't think he is good anyway.....as he is wondering how in the hell his favorite bands did this and did that.....he will give you those chords just to say he was in the studio recording.

Goes for any other person playing an instrument. Most of them don't think they are good just because of the "more skilled players" they know......BUT THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

If you can do that, then great. More power to you. I made this thread for people who

1) Say music theory is what's holding them back. Basically, I gave them a "music theory work around"

2) Say they can't find a piano player. Boom, I just gave them an instant piano player in an app. All they have to do is edit the midi

3) Say rappers don't pay for beats. Okay, then use these tools to switch genres.

Cuz you know what? Just like there are 100 rappers on every corner, there are 100,000 people in line to be the next American Idol.

GET MONEY.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Now you guys are getting into the money thing.

When was the last time you listened to country....and now you wanna make country beats? Nah, you don't love it, Hip-Hop is your girlfriend, don't dump her for another girl you don't like just cuz she's got more money.

Shiiiiiit. Man that Taylor Swift "22" be going hard. And the white girls love that TROUBLE.

Plus you heard that new Miley Cyrus joint?

And this joint right here?? It's been KILLING the country charts! You can do this shit with The VST's I listed....

That's a pop/edm song. Just replace the lead synths with guitars. Just listen to the structure. It's the same shit. Same chord progressions, same everything.

Trust me, the shit is easy.

This song was my very first try at a pop song using the exact same method that I outlined.

My very first pop client. Guess how much I sold it to the artist for? Way more than a rapper would pay, I'll tell you that.

I'm just trying to give people some game. Even if you don't wanna expand your genres, those tools and that method are the key to making your music better.

Just some food for thought. Just giving back to the FP community.

Back