Why are Hip Hop and R&B grouped together?

Olie

Pretty much everywhere i go, i see this. Only really thought about it now... Why? They don't have that much in common in terms of attitude and instrumentally they are different enough to be separate. Maybe i'm missing something here.

Both are African-American genres and both are widely popular while having great cultural importance.

Prior to the nineties they were more distinct, but over the past 20 years+ the elements have been fused together closely. Mary J and groups like TLC were a big part of the process

Race Music.

Urban Music.

Black Music.

Black music has been grouped together since the beginning of music genre classifications....

But more recently, New Jack Swing was to blame. Artists like Jodeci and Mary J Blige blurred the lines between R&B and Hip Hop.

Chart Evolution according to Billboard (who devised the names used)

YearChart NameReason
1948Rhythm and Blues Sales and
Rhythm and Blues Jukebox plays
2 charts introduced
1955Rhythm and Blues Disc Jockeys PlaysAdded a 3rd chart
1958Rhythm and Blues ChartCombined into a single chart
1963No ChartRetired the chart as there was so much crossover
to the mainstream charts
1965Hot Rhythm and Blues SinglesRevived
1969Best Selling Soul SinglesChanged name to
1982Best Selling Black SinglesChanged name to
1990Best Selling Rhythm and BluesChanged name to
1999Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & TracksChanged name to
2005Hot R&B/Hip-Hop SongsRevised name to

Last edited:
Because you have a lot of R&B singers hopping on Hip-Hop/Trap Beats and a lot of Rappers getting on R&B joints...it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. makes sense to me.

Chart Evolution according to Billboard (who devised the names used)

YearChart NameReason
1948Rhythm and Blues Sales and
Rhythm and Blues Jukebox plays
2 charts introduced
1955Rhythm and Blues Disc Jockeys PlaysAdded a 3rd chart
1958Rhythm and Blues ChartCombined into a single chart
1963No ChartRetired the chart as there was so much crossover
to the mainstream charts
1965Hot Rhythm and Blues SinglesRevived
1969Best Selling Soul SinglesChanged name to
1982Best Selling Black SinglesChanged name to
1990Best Selling Rhythm and BluesChanged name to
1999Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & TracksChanged name to
2005Hot R&B/Hip-Hop SongsRevised name to

By that progression it looks like Hip Hop & R&b are about to morph into something else.

Blurred cultural lines and cultural rules hav faded.
Now de culture getting generalized and stuffed in a box wid a wrong label.
Most successful rap artist are already being called pop artist. Black culture music hav came far enuff where our labels for our practices and traditions shud b respected.
Look like we either got a long way to go as a culture or we hav a long way to com back to the roots of the culture. That's where it shud start IMO.

By that progression it looks like Hip Hop & R&b are about to morph into something else.

what I omitted from that list is that the chart manager generally sets the name of the chart or the decision comes from a meeting of all chart managers that a change in name is required to reflect recent trends or a new chart needs to be added

Last edited:
New jack swing music helped to fuse them together. before that the two styles didn't like to associate with each other.

It's really about grouping anything black with R&B. Little Richard was once labeled R&B so he wouldn't be grouped up with white folks

Back