Too Good to Sample?????

PermanentM

i dont know if its cus im lit up right now or not but im listening to some of the greatest music i have ever heard in my life. its a from a one of them old "blaxploitation" films.... i swear its crazy....anyway, back to my point, i started off listening to it to see if i could sample anything from it, and trust me there is a lot of samples on it but i just feel bad chopping it up, id prefer to just kick back and listen to the album....anyone else got any songs/albums like this in their stash?

I think some stuff is off limits to sample...Like Michael Jackson, Prince, Al Green...Stevie Wonder...

Some stuff is just almost blasphemy to sample....it's like desecration of a masterpiece.

I think some stuff is off limits to sample...Like Michael Jackson, Prince, Al Green...Stevie Wonder...

Some stuff is just almost blasphemy to sample....it's like desecration of a masterpiece.

+ Curtis Mayfield and some others. Oh and let's not forget the Village People

Co-sign. It's almost like making a remix to a song and not topping the original beat.

i dont know if its cus im lit up right now or not but im listening to some of the greatest music i have ever heard in my life. its a from a one of them old "blaxploitation" films.... i swear its crazy....anyway, back to my point, i started off listening to it to see if i could sample anything from it, and trust me there is a lot of samples on it but i just feel bad chopping it up, id prefer to just kick back and listen to the album....anyone else got any songs/albums like this in their stash?

I feel like that sometimes but I think the key is to just have fun with it.

Just Blaze samples much stuff you normally wouldn't touch like the Rick James Super Freak.

The key is to make it your own and have fun with it.

I feel like that sometimes but I think the key is to just have fun with it.

Just Blaze samples much stuff you normally wouldn't touch like the Rick James Super Freak.

The key is to make it your own and have fun with it.

I didn't realize Kingdom Come was Super Freak until the 20th time I heard it lol.

I wont touch most stuff by Stevie Wonder or Adult MJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely. Don't sample classics you'll just make yourself look bad... Every time. Personally I believe that if you're going to sample, you need to go to youtube and google for a specific sound.. Such as "Acoustic Guitar", "Acoustic Piano", etc. I wouldn't consider sampling MJ unless it was a vocal for achorus.. Feel me..

sampling is taking away the talent in music

all of the musicians that made the music that you sample spent years practicing those instruments
it used to take so much talent just to make 1 song

for u producers to take 5 minutes looping their music, throwing drums over it, and calling it your own is wrong to me

all of the musicians that made the music that you sample spent years practicing those instruments

for u producers to take 5 minutes looping their music, throwing drums over it, and calling it your own is wrong to me

That hurt man.
Untitled.jpg

I disagree because Good Life by Kanye and Kingdom Come like dude said proves that if done right it's just as good, and you can make it your own...I am still reluctant to sample a lot of MJ though... can't find many minor samples like the P.Y.T. one

Yo! Swag name one HIP HOP classic that didn't have samples. Sampling is a artform. Some musicians couldn't make a simple beat to save their life.

Last edited:
On sampling...

Some one mentioned the original musicians...

I bet the original musicians on most songs that are sampled couldn't make a song that would fly in the Hip Hop genre... so taking a song and having it get a pass in an entirely different genre takes some talent.

People hear things differently.

I don't sample though... BUT! my original compositions aren't really complex or anything because I don't know theory either... I'm somewhere in the middle, lol.

would sir like to try the wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8QOB_gl4N0

if you get rid of sampling you get rid of that album and about 80% of the hip hop albums that are worth anything.

would sir like to try the wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8QOB_gl4N0

if you get rid of sampling you get rid of that album and about 80% of the hip hop albums that are worth anything.

... and the thing is... most of the drums from back in the day were drum loops that were featured on multiple songs.

How many times have you all heard that Soul II Soul - Back to life drum loop... it made many songs a hit.

People sell songs, not the song making process.

Back