Just Blaze comments on Quincy Jones' comments about Kanye

I think Q can work protools and is aware that Kanye is not just a rapper. But I'll take the Jordan approach, "I never got to play against West or Russell." Q was my babysitting music and K was my almost baby makin music 5 years ago. Both are in the Tyree D. Hall of Fame. Gotta have a 5 years plus influence on my. Q was part of the first inductees and K made it his first day of eligibility.

No I dont agree with with JB. And I'm pretty sure Quincy Jones knows how to use a drum machine and a DAW, smh.

To even suggest that knowing how to use those pieces of equipment require anywhere near the skill of conducting an orchestra is laughable.

JB should've kept quiet because he's in the same boat as Kanye as far as what Quincy said, except Blaze isn't even a rapper. They are both "beatmakers", and shouldn't even be in the discussion with Quincy in terms of producers. Guys like Dre, Quik, Timbaland, and Battlecat are some of the few real producers in hip hop. If any hip hop producers should be compared to Quincy, talent-wise, it should be those guys, but only Dre and Timbaland are really anywhere near Quincy's level, imo, as far as overall talent, skill, breaking artists, and record sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I dont agree with with JB. And I'm pretty sure Quincy Jones knows how to use a drum machine and a DAW, smh.

To even suggest that knowing how to use those pieces of equipment require anywhere near the skill of conducting an orchestra is laughable.

JB should've kept quiet because he's in the same boat as Kanye as far as what Quincy said, except Blaze isn't even a rapper. They are both "beatmakers", and shouldn't even be in the discussion with Quincy in terms of producers. Guys like Dre, Quik, Timbaland, and Battlecat are some of the few real producers in hip hop. If any hip hop producers should be compared to Quincy, talent-wise, it should be those guys, but only Dre and Timbaland are really anywhere near Quincy's level, imo, as far as overall talent, skill, breaking artists, and record sales.

LOL. JB & Kanye are just "beatmakers"?? GTFOH. The term beatmaker is becoming one of the most over(mis)used terms right up there w/ hater. JB & Kanye both have video documented proof of them producing records.

JB was dead on w/ his assessment although i'll agree that it takes way more skill and dedication to do what Quincy does/did.

Quincy is the past and Kanye is future. Yeah I said it.

Btw...his son QD3 is a beatmaker/producer too. smh.

Imo, it was whack for the interviewer to even draw comparisons between the two. It's not like Quincy was just lashing out at Kanye. He simply said they were nothing alike, and they aren't.

I'd be insulted too if I'd spent 50-something years constructing some of the greatest pieces in music history, to be compared someone who's probably sampled dozens of my records lol

The difference between the two is innovation (Quincy) vs reconstruction (Kanye).

Last edited:
The difference between the two is innovation (Quincy) vs reconstruction (Kanye).

just because hes sampling doesnt mean hes not innovating

i dont know how old you are or if you make music

but if youre making rap/rnb/urban music right now you cant say kanye west hasnt influenced you to some degree.
wether we want to admit it or not.
we were all affected by jay-z's blueprint.

:victory:

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

just because hes sampling doesnt mean hes not innovating

i dont know how old you are or if you make music

but if youre making rap/rnb/urban music right now you cant say kanye west hasnt influenced you to some degree.
wether we want to admit it or not.
we were all affected by jay-z's blueprint.

Kanye is dope at what he does... He's definitely a producer. His music is very influential, but you just cant put him in the same boat as Quincy. Even if Quincy didn't know anything about Pro Tools or an MPC, it would literally take Kanye 100X as long to learn how to arrange for an orchestra, than it would for Quincy to learn how to use the equipment

I agree for the most part but 2 discredit Kanye as a producer IS ignorant..It's apples & oranges really..They are both great.

LOL. JB & Kanye are just "beatmakers"?? GTFOH. The term beatmaker is becoming one of the most over(mis)used terms right up there w/ hater. JB & Kanye both have video documented proof of them producing records.

JB was dead on w/ his assessment although i'll agree that it takes way more skill and dedication to do what Quincy does/did.

I don't consider them as just beatmakers either...But that's because I'm not sitting around comparing today's producers to yesterdays. Comparitively...yes, KW is pretty much just a beatmaker compared to Quincy Jones.

...most producers don't compare to Quincy Jones anyway so, get over it.

The comparison is that at one time EVERYBODY was riding Quincy's nuts and were definitely influenced by his shit. That's sorta Kanye right now.

Funny thing about JB's "he wouldn't know what to do with Protools", my dad is a musician, and the shit he attempts to make on Acid and FL is wack. He's dope as hell on guitar, bass, and drums.

I really would love to see QJ make something all digitally.

apples to oranges imo

They both do music but in totally different ways. Q could probably learn to do what kanye does just as kanye could learn to do what Q does...with time of course. They both are very artistic and innovative in their music and I think no matter where you put them they'll create something different, new, refreshing and great. They just do it in totally different ways.

If I was Q I would have been kind of offended though because knowing what Q knows took immense amount of time and effort to learn. Not saying Kanye didn't but Q definitely has him beat....hell he was innovating before ye was even born so wtf? I wouldn't have lashed out a bit like he did, but I can see where he's coming from.

They're both great in their own ways, they both do things their own ways so back to the main point...

Apples to Oranges

Last edited:
Kanye is dope at what he does... He's definitely a producer. His music is very influential, but you just cant put him in the same boat as Quincy. Even if Quincy didn't know anything about Pro Tools or an MPC, it would literally take Kanye 100X as long to learn how to arrange for an orchestra, than it would for Quincy to learn how to use the equipment

and what does that have to do with anything?
its not about what either of them are using
its the impact that we're racing towards.
i dont care if he made records with a toothpick scratching a piece of paper for a hi hat. its the impact that makes a great producer.

I remember 9th Wonder saying," It's not what you use, it's how you use it. "

Apples and oranges .... my dear Wattson.

let me try to understand this...

there are individuals here on future producers dot com that can chop a sample because they have an "ear" for music...

but Quincy Jones cant...

the problem with "most" (not all) producers/beatmakers is they give themselves more credit than they deserve...

so you are telling me that Quincy could not count 4 bars of a loop, cut that loop, then import that loop in recycle for further chopping, export those slices, load it into "any" sampler and tap the keys on a controller until he "hears" something that sound nice?

number one problem with todays producers/beatmakers they quailify "every" aspect of the music making process to make them "seem" better than they actually are...

you cant knock Kanye West but you cant compare him to Quincy Jones either....

Last edited:
Back