Good Music Or A Dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsamaPigLatin

The Lil'Jon post deserves a spin-off because of some of the responses. I'm getting the impression that people on this forum care more about the money than the music.

A couple of you responded by saying that you'd produce for Britney and/or that you thought we should be envious of Lil Jon's success. The question is just how far would you be willing to go to sell a record? I mean if you don't respect Britney's work today, why would you want to make dollars from it tomorrow? So many dudes claimtobe "THE REALEST", but how real can you possibly be if you're willing to give her a hot track so that she can push more pop **** to the masses?

I mean how can you respect a chick who admits to being incapable of dancing and singing live simultaneously? That girl would be nothing without Antares Auto Tune and great marketing.

Well if everything's about a dollar, and you'd rather make a dollar than make great music then what does that say about your own worth?

Man Fruityloops should have never been this accessible.

Before I'm misunderstood....

Let me be the first to say I'd do a track for Brintey if it were to get my foot in the door. It ****in' beats walkin' 6 hours for cheesecake.

What bothers me is how so many people spend over 2 G's on a keyboard workstation or just download software while expecting to sell beats for $500 within 2 months of making their first beat.

The issue is whether or not you started to produce for the bling or for the music.

Sh*t, I don't know about anybody else, but I would work with Britney. But I would make that sh*t hot. Music first, then Money!!!
I can't stand Juelz Santana, but I'll tell you this if he gave me a call to do a track. I'll do it for him, but I will produce it, and make sure he comes correct: that is your job as a producer.

Theres alot of artist out there I dont particularly like, including Britney Spears, but if given the opportunity I'd make em a track or be on a track with them in a heartbeat. I'm not making my music with the sole intent of "for the money" but an opportunity like that I'd look at it this way. Who wouldnt love to make a dollar. Its just looking out for your own best interest... If that was your entry into the game, why not play it to your advantage. You could even play it this way: you get in on a pop hit, that may not really even be your style.. then you come up with stuff that is genuinely good and true to you, and with Britney (or whoever) on your resume, people (the mass mainstream that is) will be more willing to embrace your more true side. And if the "backpackers" and "purists" no longer take me serious and call me a sellout, even though I still come out with product as good as my "underground" days... then really I'd shrug it off.. they werent paying my rent to begin with, and I'd still be as true to doing what I love as before the mainstream appeal came on, regardless of what they think of me...

p.s.- if i ever watch a britney video, the volume is probably on mute lol ;)

No, I could never produce a beat for Britney. I wouldn't lower myself to such a low, low standard. I would sleep with her if I had the world's safest jimmy-hat, but my music is something I have pride in and it represents me. I can't stand her music or her as a person for that matter and would never make some bubble-gum bull**** like that.

phill 26 official page

:cool:

what!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! i'd do that beat fast as sh!t cause i know i'd get a rep and i'll be workin. that beat would be hot as hell and i would produce her. i'm make that woman rip that track hard like a phonebook. she'd kill it so good she wouldnt ever try to do it live. ever!!!!!!!!
said the britney to the j-traxx

i will give you cash i will give you cash

said the j-traxx to the britney

Imma tax that a$$ imma tax that a$$

a car , a car , with 24 inch rims

and a hat with felt and feather trim

i sold myself but now i'm really INnnnnnn

you can sing that like the xmas carol "do you see what i see"

I don't think some of you understand that you REALLY don't have much say in what happens when you find yourself in the position to produce for "XX" artist. I've never produced for any major artist,but for those of you who've engineered or produced for hometown peeps....

I think you'll agree that people aren't about to pay for YOUR OPINION. They're paying for your heat. You have NO CONTROL!Plain and simple. Have any of you ever sat through a session where you laced someone with something fierce, and they couldn't even get their ****ing written shyte straight? I mean how many takes do you need just to talk about how big your rims are? F#$K outta here with that.

Oh well....if you'd want to spend your career putting out beats for the likes of Nick Cannon then so be it. Of course someday you might find yourself in Pharell's position, but look how long it took for him to make the music that HE WANTED TO MAKE....

Rump Shaker...'93??????? 2003 today?

OsamaPigLatin,
I understand where you are coming from. But you got to remember that Pharell wasn't the producer of Rump Shaker, he was just a musician and songwriter on that song. I never produced for an artist as big as Britney, but I have sat through many sessions or worked in an adjacent room to many major label sessions. And one thing I do know is that the Producer does have final say(I pretty sure it is the other way around sometime). That why Mariah Carey, Beyonce', & Puff get producer credits and never touch a damn thing. Cause they lay down the law. One advise I was giving by a semi-famous producer was, "Don't let nobody f*ck with your sh*t, cause then they will start getting production credits." But the reason why he said that was because he was jerked in the beginning of his career.

Plus the word Producer in HipHop doesn't mean the same as it would in different Genres.

The only person on the Producer is the Lable, cause they write the checks.

j-traxx, I'm with you man...I'll make that sh*t so hot, she will get a HipHop Quotable....Well maybe not that far, but you know what I'm saying.

I haven't done too much posting on this board but have followed it for quite some time. The amount of hate towards mainstream artists and mainstream music is sickening. Who are you to determine what "Good Music" is? That is such a subjective term that it would be impossible to objectively classify it.

Some of the people on this board need to get their head out of their asses and stop being so closed-minded. For every one person that says Britney Spears pop is garbage, I can show you millions of people who would disagree. To me, if it sounds good, can get a head nod and/or evoke an emotion it is good music. Regardless of whether it came from the mainstream, underground, the middle ground, or alient transmitting through the sputnik sattellite.

All bullshyt aside I'd do a track for phukkin Pee Wee Herman IF the money is right. I got mouths to feed. For real! Brittany,Christina, hell I'd attempt to make The Spice Girls platinum again. Just change the Girls to Gullz. Don't front either cause HALF of you cats with REAL responsibilities and priorities would do the same thing too.

All bullshyt aside I'd do a track for phukkin Pee Wee Herman IF the money is right. I got mouths to feed. For real! Brittany,Christina, hell I'd attempt to make The Spice Girls platinum again. Just change the Girls to Gullz. Don't front either cause HALF of you cats with REAL responsibilities and priorities would do the same thing too. Sh!t. Let's be real...HALF you cats with NO responsibilities and priorities would probably still do it.

OsamaPigLatin said:

Well if everything's about a dollar, and you'd rather make a dollar than make great music then what does that say about your own worth?

I will make a track for Osama Bin Laden himself if the money is right. My love for music has nothing to do with money. My love for my family however has everything to do with money. I need money to take care of them. So yes I would make a track for Britney or Barney or whoever if Im getting paid.

I don't know why but I don't like this guy. Seems as if he likes to start threads that are really pointless. I smell hate in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unique_Style said:

For every one person that says Britney Spears pop is garbage, I can show you millions of people who would disagree.

You know a million 14 year old girls who have little to no taste in pop music?

The point is that for EVERY one of us who has spent even 30 seconds bitching about pop music of any kind I suppose that some of you would have no problem with pushing the same kind of bull**** to the masses. This shyte isn't about being closed-minded. It's about selling out to make a f%$kin' dollar instead of pouring your heart out to make good music. I just hope that the majority of this forum doesn't feel the same way.

And you wonder why there's so little ****ing creativity up and down the dial these days.

Re: Re: Good Music Or A Dollar?

Big Fruit said:

I will make a track for Osama Bin Laden himself if the money is right.

That was the stupidest f#$king statement I've read on any forum in a long time. The name "Big Fruit" fits you perfectly. Dumbass.

Gawddamn, what did Britney do to any of y'all? I don't listen to her music enough to say I don't respect her, besides, I ain't the type to knock somebody's hustle.

If Britney asked me to produce one of her tracks, I'd be happy to do so cuz all I really wanna do is make music that people can enjoy. So she, somebody in her camp, or the masses must like my beats or else they wouldn't have bothered to contact me and thought they could make some money off my skills.

Like I said though, all I wanna do is make music people can enjoy, if I make some money off of it, fine; if not, I'ma still make my beats and attempt to make music that I can at least enjoy and say "I did that."

Dude no offense, but have you heard her latest album? Do youhave any idea of how many hot instrumentals were on that album? PLENTY!! If you ever get the chance to hear it, I'm telling you it'llmake your eyes teary when you realize how many bagners were wasted on this pop ****.

Even if you're not into trip hop or progressive "anything", I promise you that album will sound bangin' to your ears....until Britney's vocals come in that is. How the hell could anyone waste tracks by Moby, R. Kelly, the Matrix...blah blah....??

I'd do a track for anybody, even if I didn't like their previous work. The fact that I didn't like their previous work would probably make me more apt to do it. I'm competitive, and I believe that I'm the shyte, when it comes to production. My whole mindset is that I'm gonna be the one that sets it off. I'm a producer, and I can make anybody sound good, in any genre. That's how I feel. I'm not a slave to hiphop, or any music. Music works for me. I respect all of Britney's work. She's a pop artist, so why would I hold her to the guidlines of hiphop?

OsamaPigLatin said:
Dude no offense, but have you heard her latest album? Do youhave any idea of how many hot instrumentals were on that album? PLENTY!! If you ever get the chance to hear it, I'm telling you it'llmake your eyes teary when you realize how many bagners were wasted on this pop ****.

Even if you're not into trip hop or progressive "anything", I promise you that album will sound bangin' to your ears....until Britney's vocals come in that is. How the hell could anyone waste tracks by Moby, R. Kelly, the Matrix...blah blah....??
I don't listen to Britney's music. I know the singles, because they are on the vid channels. But, if what you say are true, then that is soley the fault of the producers. Man, you can make ANYBODY, and I mean ANYBODY sound good. Producers and engineers have so much shyte at their disposal, its crazy. My local radio station does these song parodies everyweek to support the football games. They snatch the instrumentals and do the vocals over to coincide with a win or loss of the Ravens on Sunday. They amaze me sometimes. I'll be cotdamned if they ain't make over the Alicia Keys joint, and the Jigga Encore joint, almost flawlessly. These are some regular old dj's, messing around in the studio, doing ALL their own vocals. They had the harmonizing back vocals, and all.

So, I put that squarely on the producers, if Britney doesn't sound good, or that could just be your opinion. In the 80's, Al B. Sure won a Sony production contest almost solely on that aspect alone. He can't sing a lick, but he sounded like he had the best soprano voice this side of Prince. The same with Ashanti. Hear her live, and you'll see what I mean.

OsamaPigLatin said:
it'llmake your eyes teary when you realize how many bagners were wasted on this pop ****.
How were they wasted? She did something she wanted to do and if you don't like it, she'd probly tell you to eat a d!ck cuz there's plenty of people who do like it.

You're probly gonna pull the "well 14 year old girls are her biggest fans so that don't matter". Well, you ever think that maybe people just have different preferences in sounds.

Ex: I may think Bootsy Collins has some great songs, but I understand some people hate every one of his songs.

Why the fu*k am I gonna cry about that?

i respect britney & anybody else that can make hit songs & sell records, cuz thats not easy to do. and just cuz somebody likes mainstream music doesnt mean they're a sellout. look at the billboard charts...apparently fans like this stuff, and im pretty sure a lot of the artists like makin it too. if i was an entertainer i would prefer to make a party-radio record any day over a boring DJ premier produced record, cuz thats what i like. people can ***** all they want about mainstream music, but apparently those people have something that these underground "gods" dont. if mainstream music is so ****ty and easy to make, etc., then how come these concious/underground cats cant keep up? heat rises: if undergrond was REALLY that nice it woulda caught on by now, but its obvious that the general public doesnt like it. i was readin some magazine and gangstarr was bitchin about how they couldnt go platinum...maybe britney can teach em a thing or two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back