What happened to FP??

Traxx1

Boss.
Wow PUMP's thread got removed with the quickness...:4theloveofgod:

This was in response to that thread:

I've been on here since 07 (disregard the screen name / date) and I remember when fp used to be alive with all kinds of cats sharing inside tons of ish like knowledge and game in addition to the clowning around, etc.. (and i wasn't even here during the site's "golden era" which was like 03 i think?) What happened?? lol. I also remember there used to be ton of cats on here that genuinely knew inside industry ish and shared their insight.... Now there's like 4 left. I guess they got scared off?? lol..

Then it seemed in like sometime in 2011 attendance fell off and the quality of traffic seemed to be mostly young cats asking the same fl studio questions...:hmmm: ...and now... here we are. Its 2013 and Its super dead and instead of adding features to help build up the site attendance they are removing features which are IMO actually contributing to the demise of the site...

I understand regulating on flame wars, spam, and ignorant behavior. I get it. But when you tighten down in general, people walk. And with forum attendance down, i'm not so sure tightening up on that ish is going to help fp at this point..

#smh

I stop coming because most cats on this forum seem 20ish and im 41. I moved up to gearslutz for pro advice and talk.

I stop coming because most cats on this forum seem 20ish and im 41. I moved up to gearslutz for pro advice and talk.

I can dig it. I'm not too far off from you..lol.
But to be honest with you, I'm a member there and I never really resonated well with that site as a lot of cats on that site had condescending undertones in their conversations in the past...

$.02

Wow PUMP's thread got removed with the quickness...:4theloveofgod:

This was in response to that thread:

I've been on here since 07 (disregard the screen name / date) and I remember when fp used to be alive with all kinds of cats sharing inside tons of ish like knowledge and game in addition to the clowning around, etc.. (and i wasn't even here during the site's "golden era" which was like 03 i think?) What happened?? lol. I also remember there used to be ton of cats on here that genuinely knew inside industry ish and shared their insight.... Now there's like 4 left. I guess they got scared off?? lol..

Then it seemed in like sometime in 2011 attendance fell off and the quality of traffic seemed to be mostly young cats asking the same fl studio questions...:hmmm: ...and now... here we are. Its 2013 and Its super dead and instead of adding features to help build up the site attendance they are removing features which are IMO actually contributing to the demise of the site...

I understand regulating on flame wars, spam, and ignorant behavior. I get it. But when you tighten down in general, people walk. And with forum attendance down, i'm not so sure tightening up on that ish is going to help fp at this point..

#smh

RealRapTalk was a hub for these FL-pirate-noobs to download their cracked sh%# and get their "how do I hit play?!" help.

They were shut down around 2010-2011 and their massive userbase had to migrate somewhere else.

Now we gotta say things like:

"Welcome to FP, speak the language. :("

A rare case of too many Indians and not enough chiefs.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I pre-date you slightly...05' and I had only one other s/n that i changed from. I check in from time to time... I believe people moved on in life ( I could list names but I won't). Also there are only so many questions that could be asked... it seems like a cycle of the same questions or statements just change the producers name or the artist's name... rinse repeat. However; I think the biggest change came around the time when the site was sold (do you remember the color scheme changes or the new layout).

Last edited:
Yeah - "speak the language" is the big one, that and newbs who are passing themselves of as super experienced and who b1tch when they are challenged about what they post.

That and relying on patently false, invented or illogical sources to justify their statements - not everything comes back to a personal opinion but may come back to personal experience, reading and application.

A lot of folks forget that we have the two extremes as well as the middle ground here at fp, booth in terms of age and experience/knowledge.

Our youngest member is about 11, our oldest is over 65 - I'd have to ask the admins to do a search/analysis to know the modal age and median age and average age (mode is the most often occurring, median is the actual middle age taking all age data into consideration, average is the simple total age divided by total members).

Experience ranges from completely green and wet behind the ears to 30+ year veterans.

Distinguishing between the two sources of information fact vs opinion is difficult for beginners and old-hands alike at times, but the old-hands should at least be given the respect that any other person with years of experience under their belts would get in any other industry....

We have to address issues such as piracy straight away without fear and some of the beefs that get started can and sometimes do spiral out of control very quickly

Knowing which ones to jump on is not always easy and even when you do as a moderator you may get attacked for doing the right thing by one or more parties to the problem

They even try to suggest that they are only following in your own footsteps trying to equate their battles with what was simple negation/challenge to something someone else wrote.....

Last edited:
(do you remember the color scheme changes or the new layout).

I actually totally forgot about this, since I changed my scheme back to the "dark" one using forum tools almost immediately after the change. Lol.

I posted as something else before, as well, but I can't remember what it was...

-Ki
Salem Beats

Yeah - "speak the language" is the big one, that and newbs who are passing themselves of as super experienced and who b1tch when they are challenged about what they post.

That and relying on patently false, invented or illogical sources to justify their statements - not everything comes back to a personal opinion but may come back to personal experience, reading and application.

A lot of folks forget that we have the two extremes as well as the middle ground here at fp, booth in terms of age and experience/knowledge.

Our youngest member is about 11, our oldest is over 65 - I'd have to ask the admins to do a search/analysis to know the modal age and median age and average age (mode is the most often occurring, median is the actual middle age taking all age data into consideration, average is the simple total age divided by total members).

Experience ranges from completely green and wet behind the ears to 30+ year veterans.

Distinguishing between the two sources of information fact vs opinion is difficult for beginners and old-hands alike at times, but the old-hands should at least be given the respect that any other person with years of experience under their belts would get in any other industry....

We have to address issues such as piracy straight away without fear and some of the beefs that get started can and sometimes do spiral out of control very quickly

Knowing which ones to jump on is not always easy and even when you do as a moderator you may get attacked for doing the right thing by one or more parties to the problem

They even try to suggest that they are only following in your own footsteps trying to equate their battles with what was simple negation/challenge to something someone else wrote.....

Young & wet behind the ears perspective
I'm 20 and willing to learn information off anyone willing to share it but often there are some vets that somehow think because they know one genre well think they know all of music or all of buisness. I admit where i lack knowledge and share the knowledge i posses. I respect those who respect me, reguardless of experience. "Internet beefs" should be allowed to sort themselfs out, just make a sub section called "flame" or something simular and once you notice problems just throw the thread in there so people dont see it.

The trick is definitely to know when to step in and when to step back and not over moderate, because nothing kills a board quicker than an overzealous moderator.

agreed - sometimes it is better to not do something than to jump in and make an even bigger mess of things - sometimes you don't have the luxury of doing that though

It is very different moderating here to when I used to be one of the moderators sci.psychology.research - everything had to be approved before it was posted -meant that there was delay of hours or days sometimes between something was posted and something actually appeared (people had lives independent of the internet back then (mid-90's))

oblique references to other people playing games on other sites aside, the wearing of the mod hat is only part of my day - for the most part I do nothing but delete spam of all sorts and give occasional warnings based on reasonable expectations, clearly outlined in the terms of use and answer questions asked

yep and, as with anything, context is everything; in some sub-forums we take a more liberal view than in others......

Back