The True "State of the Art"

lol it sounds like he's saying, "dude just get a regular job and be happy". i've been hearing the music business is dried up and dead since the early 2000s and yet here we are. you remember those campaigns. one in particual that still resonates to this day. "music is dead". shut up lol. record labels are still here. radio stations are still here. big name artists are still using the exact same avenues they've always used. music festivals? forget about iiit lol. i know its different for them since they're well known but come on. sometimes i feel as if articles like this are created to scare us off so that we don't infringe on the success of current acts out there. just a thought.

You missed the point again...

Yes, everything's pretty much the same as it ever was, except in the instances where/when it's worse; this after all of the hype and the digital bill of goods we were sold. The argument in the article is against those same purveyors of "music should be free" nonsense that are always
trying to squeeze the musicians (and that you actually posted about here)... Meet the new boss, same as the old boss in the shiny Internet age.

GJ

and even trickier to nail down too boot (the new boss) as they can have an internet presence but no physical actuality - i.e. a pseudonym and paypal account is all that is needed to profit in this form...

The music industry is better than ever!

I see no problems, I only see change. Once things come to a new equilibrium, there will be a huge and long growth period, Musicians have to weather the storm.

The digital landscape has barely been tapped. I am certainly not complaining. I am thankful and grateful to be able to participate in today's music industry.

The glory days of yesteryear are gone. The glory days of the digital age are yet to come. There is no need to blame the technology. Embrace today's tools and innovating is what will bear the fruits.

The analog solutions of yesteryear do not work in today's digital world.

Very lovely sounding platitudes; the kind that the article debunks thoroughly with facts and figures.

It's not going to get better by wishfully "thinking" and "feeling" that it was so. That's exactly what they want you to do. "Weather the storm?" I'll wager I've been weathering longer than you've been alive. Neither does the author (or myself) blame the technology. The Technocrats, on the other hand...

GJ

Very lovely sounding platitudes; the kind that the article debunks thoroughly with facts and figures.

It's not going to get better by wishfully "thinking" and "feeling" that it was so. That's exactly what they want you to do. "Weather the storm?" I'll wager I've been weathering longer than you've been alive. Neither does the author (or myself) blame the technology. The Technocrats, on the other hand...

GJ

But why are you so angry?

Based on this article.. everything just sucks, huh?

Touring? NO.
Merch? NO.
Streaming? NO.
Have your own style? NO.
Digital Sales? NO.
(you get my point)

What exactly ARE you supposed to do? Where's his new model? GJ, what's your answer to all this? "Fight the power" doesn't work in reality. 350 million Americans potentially have access to free music. Good luck convincing half of them that it shouldn't be like this. Then move on to the rest of the world. Ya know? This has happened - can't undo it. Things got digital, not just in music, but in many job markets. Human jobs are being simply eliminated or replaced by tech in other fields - What's to think it wouldn't happen in music, too?

Last edited:
Whatchyoutalkin'bout, Willis?!?

Who said I'm angry? Although it would be easy to be angry, if one understood how the tech companies have conspired to steal composers' intellectual property rights, yet continue to assert the proprietary nature of their programming codes, all the while goosing the public with this "music should be free" nonsense.

Yes, it should be free. But only if and when food is free, gas is free, heat, electric, rent/mortgage, along with any/every other product and service currently in existence. Until then, a musician's time and intellectual sweat-equity are worth just as much or more than anyone else's society-beneficial creative endeavors...

GJ

Last edited:
Whatchyoutalkin'bout, Willis?!?

Who said I'm angry? Although it would be easy to be angry, if one understood how the tech companies have conspired to steal composers' intellectual property rights, yet continue to assert the proprietary nature of their programming codes, all the while goosing the public with this "music should be free" nonsense.

Yes, it should be free. But only if and when food is free, gas is free, heat, electric, rent/mortgage, along with any/every other product and service currently in existence. Until then, a musician's time and intellectual sweat-equity are worth just as much or more than anyone else's society-beneficial creative endeavors...

GJ

You are 100% correct. But what are you going to do about it?

All I see is a lot of whining. Is that all musicians can do these days? Doesn't that get old after a while? We all know the problems. We have been seeing free music for almost 15 years now. Now what?

I just do not understand the hate and anger behind technology.

I do not see it as whining, I see that this guy is stating facts rather than continuing to push the fairy-tale hype. Yes, the situation is bleak, and frankly, many things do "suck," if we are being blunt. But neither the author or myself are saying "forget it, game over," and I for one never said I had all the answers. But defining a problem or set of problems is the first step in solving said problems. That's what I was saying in my initial post, that's what I'm saying now, in case anyone misunderstood. Possible solutions, or at least options? Don't give it away for free, as many have consistently tried to point out. Don't steal from others, thereby encouraging appropriate behavior in the community of musicians, and the community at-large. Find ways to market effectively, and help other artists. Support fellow artists, and on and on.

All I'm saying is that the jury is no longer out, the stuff they told us isn't true, so the first step should be getting our collective heads out of the sand...

GJ

thought I'd post the lies without the original commentary to contextualise this discussion

The 13 Most Insidious, Pervasive Lies of the Modern Music Industry... | Digital Music NewsDigital Music News
Lie #1: Great music will naturally find its audience.
Lie #2: Artists will thrive off of ‘Long Tail,’ niche content.
Lie #3: The death of the major label will make it easier for artists to succeed.
Lie #4: There will be a death of the major label.
Lie #5: Digital formats will produce far greater revenues than physical.
Lie #6: “The real money’s in touring”
Lie #7: There’s an emerging middle class artist.
Lie #8: Kickstarter can and will build careers.
Lie #9: Spotify is your friend.
Lie #10: Google and YouTube are your friends.
Lie #11: If Pandora could just lower royalties, they could then survive, and really help all the artists out there.
Lie #12: T-Shirts!
Lie #13: ‘Streaming is the future…’

my own gut suggest that each of these lies is spot on - i.e. these things are not true

1 asserts that music will be found - this was true of JS Bach who fell out of favour shortly after his death in 1750, but saw a resurgence in his popularity when Mendelssohn found a large store of his manuscripts and set about mounting performances to bring the music back to the public but it just does not track that you will be found in your lifetime.....

2 asserts that people will buy what they want and that there is a large enough number of people willing to buy even relatively obscure music - 99% of sales are in the mainstream (10% of all acts/artists) and 1% in the small tail feeders which means very little money to share amongst more than 90% of acts

3 is predicated on 4 which is not going to happen as there is too much money tied up in maintaining the status quo; major labels will swallow independents by buying them out wholesale or starving them of talent; most of the old school independents are now major labels themselves and engage in the same behaviours as their founding principles have been seen to be anathema to making money

5 is based on the idea that people will buy a digital product as often as they would a physical product - something physical wears out or is damaged or is lost/stolen and needs to be replaced, the same is not true of digital formats even with DRCM limiting the number of actual copies a single purchaser can have.....put everything onto a single hard drive and clone that hard drive to guard against loss and you have a perpetual single copy system

6 except that it costs money to tour and recent tours have taken to getting major sponsorship to mount them. 365 days on the road and you lose sight of creativity, relationships, a lot of stuff. the money to be made is small in comparison to the gross sales as everyone has to be paid, fed, watered, clothed, housed for the duration of the tour

7 this is not class warfare or economics of supply and demand - the middle class emerged because they were able to obtain jobs that paid well with benefits without the hazards of some of the more menial positions; today music is just like everything else economically we have the super rich and the working poor

8 if you can convince people to put money up - this venture capitalism on a small scale - you would have better chances of convincing a real venture capitalist that you had the makings of something big and then not much. Without careful planning, marketing and execution, such an approach is only going to raise cents on the dollars needed to pursue the project and even then how do you move it so that everyone wants a piece of the result (i.e. how do you get the public to buy the result???) - study project management first and then come back to trying to raise the capital to pursue your dreams - you will be at least going in eyes wide open and understand the issues and the problems that can beset any production effort

9 Spotify is a leech and stops sales because you share your music with others rather than buying it for yourself or themselves

10 google is about placing advertising high in the search results and alongside your search results. Youtube has devolved from the "anyone can post anything" channel that it was to a slick marketing machine for established artists and labels - there are tracks that I cannot access because they are not available in Australia due to market or label restrictions

11 rob the artist to improve their profit margin??? you've got to be joking - lower royalties means exactly that

12 merchandising is only successful if you are already big - who wants to buy a piece of memorabilia for an unknown

13 streaming is already here and is not producing the profits for individuals that you might expect - unless you are already registered with a PRO and you keep accurate records of what is played by who, you will not see the pitiful revenue stream that such plays generate

Last edited:
I don't know, man. To me, after I read the whoe article and took the autor's words into consideration, it seems that this guy is over-protecting the major labels. Like was said here before: "go get a regular job, you don't belong in the music industry." - this stance is, to me, someone who is afraid of things that are to come (like the powerless major labels, or the arise of independent artists).

Elvis Presley worked for an independent label until he started to be noticed on a national level, then RCA/Columbia came knocking and bought out his contract with Sun Studios/Records

it was a case of there was so much money floating around that it was all but impossible to refuse the offers (that Presley got himself new management that made some of the decisions for him didn't help Sun Records - they would have grown very quickly on the back of Presley's dominance of the market place, but they may not have had the initial capital to market him as needed)

I.E. the accountants and other money men in the music business do not like the idea of forgoing profits for the sake of others being successful - they will buy contracts and then stifle an artist so that they fall out of favour, refuse to release albums because they are not up to scratch (which is usually not true, but the reason proffered), refuse to allow a released artist (someone whose contract has lapsed) to use their name as it is the property of the label (Prince /Love Symbol/Artist formerly known as Prince)

this has been the history of the music business since the 1910's, back then it was white guys get the publicity and black guys get the shaft, unless you happened to be smart about your business - consider the success of cab calloway as a young man and an old man

all the commentary in the article is pointing to the need for individuals and artists/groups to be business smart rather than relying on pipe dreams and promises/prophecies that are lies or half-truths

Last edited:
I still do not see any problems. Every situation is different and some people are more successful in the digital age.

I think people waste time addressing issues of the past and complaining about how hard it is for musicians to prosper. The myths are actually more pleasant to listen to these days.

I just get sad and depressed seeing musicians screaming and arguing about how the industry is in the doldrums. At least I can have hope and be happy with the myths. At least it gives me something to work towards.

The so-called solutions do not even match up with my reality.

Seriously guys, no more whining. Nobody likes a whiner, even if he is right.

Last edited:
OK. Just sayin.'

Choice can be a beautiful thing...

GJ

PS-- For a last-ditch effort to get my point across; not trying to burst someone's bubble or destroy their faith in their dreams, just a reality check and a definition of issues, so that people are aware of the hurdles... Not only have I done this a long time, but I've studied the business somewhat. I did my graduate work on Motown Records. The author's and BC's comments are spot-on. Also, re: Motown, Berry Gordy was faced with a music industry in the doldrums and in transition as well. He saw a situation with problems that were ripe for problem-solving. He went on to turn a $500 investment into a multi-million/billion dollar business that launched the careers of some of the century's most enduring and impactful artists, and he also sheparded a corporation that was multi-colored and multi-cultural, at a time when many people said "That can't possibly work." He retired a VERY rich man.

Problems don't have to be hopeless, they can point the way to solutions. But recognizing the problems is step one. Another example-- Bob Marley knew he had cancer for at least three years, and did nothing about it. Guess what happened?

but that (what BM did) was a religious choice to be whole so that he could enter heaven, lopping off the toe would have solved the problem and he would have lived to a ripe old age. By dying young he ensured the endurance of his legacy but robbed the rest of us of potentially greater music (there is no guarantee that he would have become even better, but it is a fair assumption)

and thanks for the love.

Last edited:
I hear ya. I'm just not usually the type to stop at identifying the problem. The hard truth is that the industry IS screwed up right now, but it's not on hold. Like Desire Inspires said, some people are more successful in the digital age - I happen to be one of them. I found a lane I can thrive in, and I'm finally starting to see some nice returns for my time/effort. I'm getting older (wifed up, kid(s) coming), and hitting the clubs every night and the streets every day aren't on my agenda anymore. Here I am, a 30+ y/o t-shirt and jeans guy, selling beats & licensing instrumentals online, from my basement. Can't beat that with a stick, in my case.

I can see if you're trying to be an artist, things are getting weird. But still, the amount of people with access to hearing your music is unreal. You have to be able to do something with that, or yeah, you'll fail. Adapt and run with the new rules. Coz the artist alone will not change these rules by openly complaining about them. BTW, people have been complaining about the industry for decades. From someone's point of view, there's always been something "unfair" or "shady" about labels and marketing and radio and everything.

Also, as for #1 of that list - Great music sometimes does win out. Depends on the circumstance, and I think again, it depends on whether you're making music for the fans, or for use by other artists or media companies.

and even trickier to nail down too boot (the new boss) as they can have an internet presence but no physical actuality - i.e. a pseudonym and paypal account is all that is needed to profit in this form...

if its good its good. and whoever were the 1st to ride that wave are reaping those benefits as we speak. i don't believe anything i hear about the music business is going down a downward spiral. what's that old saying? when there's blood on the street buy property? yeah i think that fits this conversation.

Last edited:
Back