How to collab over long distances

how do you guys go about collaborating over long distances via the internet? and im talking producer to producer, not producer to vocalist/rapper. specifically in electro genres (but not limited to). skype? LOTS of emailing? how do you quickly share midi and stems/ samples that you have in mind?

i have a general idea but i was wondering if maybe you all had a better way.

Yeah anything really — so many possibilities in this modern world!

Skype can be used to chat/talk or also to send files, if you’re in different timezones, you can send MIDI files per e-mail, there’s not very big.

Then if you’re working on the complete track together, I don’t really know as I haven’t done that… I mean, you would need to send each other the project all the time. Sounds quite complicated! They should do some sort of real-time online DAW, where you can see the other applying changes LOL!

Oh and then, if you work with different DAWs… it’s even more complicated...

Last edited:
dropbox is another option worth looking into, both of you setup an account then you enable a sharing folder which either of you can upload to

lots of emails and lots of back and forth with mp3 bounces until reaching mix/mastering stage, skype as well but more limited there.

Back