What happens if your song starts to get big but you didn't pay for the beat?

taimoua

Just wondering..

If your original song happens to become popular and noticed, but the beat you used wasn't paid for, what happens?
Not everyone has money to buy exclusive rights. Will you be forced to use another beat? Will the actual original song you wrote be a waste?

Thanks in advance.

You could be sued for copyright infringement if the beat maker hears it anywhere. In some cases, depending on how much success it has, the beat maker may let it be but he'll be taking his share of the copyright for sure.

Is this a beat the producer released for free? Then, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Or did you download it on the down-low? Then, it's the same as taking or using anything else without permission.... If you get caught, you may have a problem.

I'm curious who you think would "force" you to use another beat, by the way. It would cease to be the same song, so one would assume the popularity will go away. If your verses are so good that it doesn't matter what beat you rap on, then go get some free beats the right way. Plenty of producers - for better or worse - give freebies just so they can ride to the top with you.

Some beats are free. And some I lease for a reasonable price. I have no intention of stealing beats from anyone.
The "who" I'm referring to would be like record labels or the person who wants to take your song to fame.

Thanks!

The "who" I'm referring to would be like record labels or the person who wants to take your song to fame.

I wouldn't worry about that, either. If someone wants to work that particular song and try to make you some $$, the beat is likely to be a big reason. They might have someone make an almost-right replica beat or something like that, but if the original producer thinks you owe him some $$, he's going to make an attempt to get it, or get something out of it.

If a Label wanted to pick up the song, all they would have to do is contact the producer and work it out with them. Same thing happened to 50 Cent with " I Get Money", they had to hit off Apex Productions for one of 50's producers jacking the beat off soundclick

Just wondering..

If your original song happens to become popular and noticed, but the beat you used wasn't paid for, what happens?
Not everyone has money to buy exclusive rights. Will you be forced to use another beat? Will the actual original song you wrote be a waste?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the original producer or beat maker, what you guys agreed on and how 'he' wants to proceed.

No, if the producer gave you the right to use it free for exclusivity then you will not have problems. Only if you paid for leasing then you may need to upgrade the contract.

Producers/Beat-Makers!
Get a hold of some sample packs, kits and loops for your beats!
Download Sample Packs, Drum Kits and Loops - Beats & Instrumentals | D-Funkdafied Music

Emmm blurry lines here. If the original producer gives the beat away free, yet the terms aren't in a contract, it becomes a he said she said thing and it can get nasty. Best to have a contract EVEN if the creator is giving the audio away free. No contract leaves you exposed to all sorts of ****ery

Last edited:
Simple. Check the contract...if there is no contract or mention of this exact situation and how things are to be handled...Hit the producer up and smooth everything over regardless of the prior situation. Because even if someone sells you an exclusive, 9/10 there will be something in the contract still entitling the producer to earnings off retail sales or even off of performance royalties.

Some guys don't care because they think the song will never go anywhere, but you're gonna wanna cover all areas so it doesn't come to bite you when the song is successful and you have no room to negotiate because you're now the one in the wrong.

Trinidad never paid for a beat on his first mixtape don't be safe and all gold everything became a hit... just roll with it.. no one cares

GREAT advice.
smh...
Preparation, security and proper business methods are waaay overrated right?

until someone mans up and decides to sue.. if i made all gold everything and didn't see a dime.. i'd sue.. realistically.. what do you have to lose?

It's this kind of question that we hear over and over and over, and this kind of ridiculous answer (which we hear far too often) : "Trinidad never paid for a beat on his first mixtape don't be safe and all gold everything became a hit... just roll with it.. no one cares"

...That drive me "fa-reekin' cra-cy, mang." If you want to be in the music business, PLEASE LEARN ABOUT the music business. And don't spread preposterous nonsense that people will take for truth.

GJ

If you're making money off of it through singles, concerts, radio play, beatport, iTunes, etc. and you didn't license the beat (either non-exclusive or exclusive licenses), you better pray you don't get caught. Also at this point in time I assume you're working your ass off to remove all traces of it online if you made money off of it.

If you don't, be prepared to have money leak out of your ass when they find you.

It's this kind of question that we hear over and over and over, and this kind of ridiculous answer (which we hear far too often) : "Trinidad never paid for a beat on his first mixtape don't be safe and all gold everything became a hit... just roll with it.. no one cares"

...That drive me "fa-reekin' cra-cy, mang." If you want to be in the music business, PLEASE LEARN ABOUT the music business. And don't spread preposterous nonsense that people will take for truth.

GJ

Am I lying in anything i said? Please point out my faults...

The fault is in giving bad advice, period.

"Bonnie & Clyde got away with robbing banks (for awhile), so can you!"
"It's ok to shop-lift if you don't get caught..." Etc., etc., etc., etc.

GJ

>>>>just roll with it.. no one cares<<<<

The above is bad advice, not just an example. It implies that there is little or no risk in copyright infringement. The people that lost lawsuits against the RIAA, who are not even involved in music production at all, would disagree with you. The people that have been sued before, during, and after the famous landmark Biz Markie case would disagree with you. It's just not smart. But we constantly hear in these forums -- "Don't worry about it; nobody cares." Then, when we hear examples of other producers (like, on this forum) getting their beats jacked, then everyone is up-in-arms. Here's the deal-- don't steal, and don't encourage others to steal. Simple, really...

GJ

Last edited:
Back