Why Do people say reason 6 has terrible sound quality?

Finally, someone has said it - it is about what you can do, not what the software can do - poor tradesmen (and being a producer is as much about trade-craft as music-craft) blame their tools or blame a tool if they cannot produce the product they want to........

now that's just plain stalking behaviour

- the point of blaming your tools in the above well-known saying is that if you have no skills or only a poor selection of them you will blame the tools/daw for the failings in your work product rather than admitting your own shortcomings and then focusing on what you need to do which is to learn how to use the tool (correctly) in the first place.

Audio and midi editting is present as well. Making everything the same velocity, present as well. Controlling anything in reason with knobs or faders is easy as pie. (Some stuff I quote here out of other posts). The fact is, most things haters throw around what Reason can't do, it can do. That it doesn't do midi is also a very vague term. It can export a midi track, import a midi track, it can handle midi signals, that still works!
Some ppl got pissed off at the fact they didn't seem to have the knowledge to do that in Reason and thought it was too hard for them, gave up and give off at Reason at any chance.
Just don't listen to them, ignore them. Reason can do most stuff other DAWs can do, it can do some stuff other DAWs can't do and other DAWs do some stuff Reason can't do.
Basically, anyone giving off at Reason in such a manner saying what it can't do tells more about those persons than Reason. I've seen these comments coming by in a lot more posts and suprisingly, there are almost all wrong except the VST support.

Getting the industry sound out of Reason is possible. You have to have the right knowledge though. Production theory, music theory and know how to accomplish that in Reason. Like knowing the SSL rack.
Anyway, GL. There are some other posts of me around where I give you half a dozen steps to take to get to that point that are pretty straight forward, use the search function of the forum.

The Truth with pretty much all D.A.W.'s. Most people aren't really haters though. Just not used to a different D.A.W.'s workflow and don't understand it.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

first i will start off with... i have owned Reason since version 1... now on 6.5... and brought every update/upgrade... i.e. been a Reason owner since 2000... that is about 12 years of experience with the product...

Reason does not have group tracks... a matter of fact... there are tons of users that are waiting for group tracks... yes!!! Reason has midi and audio editing... but if Reason is the only tool you use/own... i understand where you are coming from... when you compare the midi and audio editing to... lets say... Cubase... there is no comparison... i have owned Cubase over that same 12 year period as Reason... about the controller(s)... load a instrument i.e. kong... go to the faders on the oxygen 49 and turn that device up or down on the mixer... you need two devices to control the mixer and device at the same time... again... i have own Reason for 12 years now!!!

you cant brag about ableton's midi editing either... but it is more robust than Reason...

sound like your Reason experience is limited!!!

Reason does not lack anything to make "Industry Standard" Music... but there are other products on the market that can make "Industry Standard" Music too... i.e. the software version of the "Beat Thang", "Band in a Box", FL Studio, etc...

my point is... "YES"!!! Reason can make "Industry Standard" Music... but so can 1001 other products!!!

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

i would first like to say that the opposite of a "HATER" is a "FANBOI"!!! there is more to editing midi data then the velocity... what happens if you play "real" chords in your music... and you want the lenght of each note in the chords to have the same lenght... this is just one example... but there are tons of other...

exactly what knowledge is needed to use Reason... drag an instrument onto the rack -vs- opening a vsti in a standard DAW... add other devices i.e. reverb, compression, etc (same could be said about standard DAW)...

what other knowledge is needed? for me it is about a groove/percussion, chord progression/harmony, melody and secondary melody...

what is so special about Reason and the knowledge needed to use it... again... the opposite of a "HATER" is a "FANBOI"!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

i agree you can make "Industry Standard" Music with Reason... but the same can be said about... the software version Beat Thang, Band in the Box, FL Studio, any tracker, etc!!!

the bottom line is... it is "always" the individual that uses the product... and not the product!!!

I think we have a difference of preferences, because like I said besides from Midi out and vst support, I can do all those things in Reason 5.

I use Reason 5 Exclusively to make all my beats. Will upgrade to reason 6 in needed. Reason does not have that sharp, full, crisp sound right out of the box. It takes great samples and refills plus knowing the software's built in effects and inserts plus some knowledge of EQ and Compression to get the final mix you are looking for when exporting a beat from Reason. I try to master every track to get a good sounding final mix. Check out my youtube I have just started uploading beats. The first couple have bad quality due to Youtube compression but I figured it out now and quality is better.

^^^Nothing has a "sharp full crisp sound" out of the box though. I disagree that you NEED REFILLS. The factory Bank alone is more than what you'd get in the average workstation keyboard. I've never heard anyone say "a Fantom or Motif isn't enough without adding blah". Not saying there aren't good refills out there, but they're an afterthought to "quality".

I'm speaking in reference to R6, but I'm pretty sure R5 had all the same sounds as well.

Last edited:
I'm just speaking on my experience. I use R5 100% of the time. There are refills available that will blow away anything Reason has in its factory bank. The funny thing is with a little time an patience you can make the factory sounds just as full and banging as the refills.

As far as quality I am not Saying Reason is not quality. It did take more to get quality sound out that I was looking for.

Reason 6 does have some new sounds but 5 had a lot of them as well. Mainly the structure is better and the effects had a major upgrade, also in structure how you can look them up. The step to 6 if you're a Reason user is not if needed, I'd say it's a must :P It's such a gigantic step from 5 to 6 in quality :D
The factory soundbank has all you need to make good sounding tracks, though refills can't hurt.There are a lot of very good ones out there. You don't need to tweak them a lot, just the normal amount of tweaking like eq, compression, processing, etc.
I freaking love the Kong soundbank :D Little bit of knob turning and you got banging results :D

^^^I was thinking that, just wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure there was a good jump in sounds from 4 to 5 also. But I used to have my auxs set up for reverb and delays in R5 to add to sounds quickly. Seems like I don't need to add many effects in R6, but could be that I haven't gotten really in depth with it, been too into Motu BPM lately.

^^^Nothing has a "sharp full crisp sound" out of the box though. I disagree that you NEED REFILLS. The factory Bank alone is more than what you'd get in the average workstation keyboard. I've never heard anyone say "a Fantom or Motif isn't enough without adding blah". Not saying there aren't good refills out there, but they're an afterthought to "quality".

I'm speaking in reference to R6, but I'm pretty sure R5 had all the same sounds as well.
they added about 1,500 patches to Reason 6.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

I'm just speaking on my experience. I use R5 100% of the time. There are refills available that will blow away anything Reason has in its factory bank. The funny thing is with a little time an patience you can make the factory sounds just as full and banging as the refills.

As far as quality I am not Saying Reason is not quality. It did take more to get quality sound out that I was looking for.
Maybe a handful of them. Reason Pianos, Abbey Road Keyboards, Disco School, and I would stretch to say Reason electric bass. I have tons of refills been using Reason since 2.0 most of the refills on the market are so so at best.

ppl don't want to learn to sound design they rather just keep buying ready to go sounds

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Back