What's your MOST USED software within your DAW?

clintoncole

Please also list what genre of music you work with :), look forward to seeing the responses!

I work with pop/rnb/rap/hip hop so,

Melodyne (nice natural sounding pitch correction),
Sylenth1, (amazing VST),
Battery 3, (love the kicks/snares)
Massive, (awesome for synths)

Edirol Orchestral, EWQL Gold Edition, Stormdrum [DOPE]

I deal mainly with hip/hop and R&B. But I do tend to venture off to other genres such as dance, jazz, even a little dubstep.

Last edited:
about 80% of my synths are selfmade sounds from synth1 and the rest are from soundfonts or other freeware plugins

Mainly hip hop some r&b and soul. I play with pop and dubstep sometimes but I amnot so comfortable with them,

I use Addictive drums often these days. It is likely my most used plug in. I also use SampleTank a lot. Z3ta 2. Rapture, Dimension Pro. Kontakt Player. It just depends on what I want that day. Lately I have been using the Korg M1 plug in a lot.

All time its Sylenth. Then followed by Massive... I'm addicted to VST's so I just mentioned the top 2 commonly used.

My daw is my audio software (Cubase/reason/Adoibe Audition/Soundbooth/Finale Notepad+2k5 - used for sketching/transcriptions)- my computer on the other hand has a whole lot more on it like word2010 pro +, Adobe Master Suite CS5.5 (6 as soon it becomes standard rollout to schools here) - Photoshop/Illustrator/Fireworks/flashbuilder/flash pro/dreamweaver, Opera, Eudora 7.1.9, mediamonkey gold, audacity, filezilla, daemontoolslite, mydefrag, defraggler, recuva, crapcleaner advanced file organiser, syncbackpro, pdfcreator, metamorphose, alibre design, etc, etc, etc,

The software I used the most with Cubase is the stuff that usually contains a wide range of other instruments such as Reason, Reaktor or something like Kontakt, the other stuff I have tends to be more task specific. Running everything within my DAW allows me to be greedy and combine exactly what I want from each as opposed to say just using Reason by itself, the only downside to having lots of software is that it's expensive to keep up with upgrades.

Massive
FM8
Izotope Trash (because it makes everything sound sick)
and everything that came with Ableton Live 8 Suite

I'm into a variety of different genres but I find that with clever use of EQ, distortion and reverb and can make a sound for pretty much anything I'm working on.

Nexus, Sylenth, Massive, Kontakt 4/5 (3rd partys, Vir2 Instruments , Project Sam Symphobia 1&2, EWQL, &ect..) Ive actually been using a synth in kontakt called "Nitron" By Best Servive a lot lately. *&*** CANT FORGET Spectrasonics Omninshpere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Years ago I downloaded about every free vst/vsti that was up over at kvr. Then I spent several months slowly organizing them into groups like 'flanger' 'chorus' 'echo' 'distortion' etc, trying to come up with the best system where I could easily find whatever I wanted, instead of looking at a thousand vsts in alphabetical order which is insane. I got that set up and it was pretty awesome. I like to randomly just kind of pick different things and see what kind of crazy sounds come out. My favorite things are the more experimental things you can find from the old dark corners of the net, like a vst called 'DtBlkFx v1.0'. That thing is f'ing crazy. An even nuttier one is called 'Lost Tech'. You put sound in that one and get madness back out. I love those kinds of things. Only problem is if you have a project file with lots of experimental wierd plugs like that, chances for crashes goes up drastically. You can get some new sounds nobody else will have that way though.

Of course I also use stuff like FM8, Massive, etc. My other favorite thing is a program called Nebula which I use tons of instances of when mixing, to try to take off a little of the digital edge of all those vsts, and smooth out the tone a little.

Back