Your favourite Sequencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
Hey everyone,

What's your favourite sequencer? Is there one you hate in particular, let everyone know, etc..

I used to write in Cakewalk for years, slowly moving to Cubase VST 5.0, I think Cakewalk is great for slower machines and is easy to use. On a big machine and without having to run other software, Cubase 5 is very good.

;)

Take care

Still using cubase since many years, first on atari, now on mac !

used cubase form the ATARI, to the MAC and now cubase V on PC. I'm completly happy with it and would never think about using a different sequencer.

Musicator

Me:
Musicator.
For the easyness and the incredible stabillity and speed. No waves or anything. Just pure MIDI, with a stockload of possibillities (How do you spell that?).
This makes it take up virtually no CPU and you can use it with ANY softsynth and external Synthesizers.

DJ Chriss: yeah i understand what you mean... ALthough I am now using VST5, I've been using Cakewalk for years, turning off all the AUdio options and drivers, using it as a pure MIDI sequencer... Because Cakewalk is not using much resource on the system.

Its handy if you are using lots of other soft synths that's true.

Now... VST5 is very sweet too :)

Hi,
I just bought a new computer (800 Mhz) and plan to start making music on it. I am a little lost though with what software I should go. I have a couple friends who are either using Cooledit pro or Cubase.
Has anyone experience with both of those programs or does anybody recommends another program?

Thanks

Cooledit Pro is not a sequencer, it is a "WAV editor" like Sound Forge (which is one of the best IMHO)

Cubase is a great sequencer, where you write your notes and control your MIDI devices (both software and hardware synths , etc..)

Feel free to post a new thread/discussion to tlak about a specific topic/subject (this thread being about "what is your favourite sequencer".

Soon, a tutorial explaining how to get started with Cubase VST 5 will be published on this site, as well as an article explaining the basic terms and things to know when you start.

Good luck, and have fun! :D

Logic Audio

I have been using Logic Audio for about a year and most recently, version 4.5 of the Platinum version.

Before that I was using Cakewalk and if you feel you can handle the learning curve I highly recommend switching to emagic's interface.

I still haven't got my environment window down to a science but it really seems that this is the way to go if you want to fully integrate all of the features of each piece of gear you own. So far I have discovered the single & mult-instrument capabilities and the option to customize your patch and bank settings within these instruments. This makes it easy to keep your environment the same every time you start a new project.

Has anyone found a good source of information for fully customizing your environment and writing interfaces using SoundDiver or the Logic Audio Environment window?

I would love to open a discussion on this...

./christopher

Modplug Tracker and Hip Hop eJay 2

I like the Modplug Tracker. You can make a lot of differente music there.
link: http://www.modplug.com

I also like Hip Hop eJay 2!
I didn`t have a lot of expectations (just take a look at Hip Hop eJay (1)).
I have always thought that eJay Products was for childish wannabe dj`s, but Hip Hop eJay 2 rocks!
link: http://www.ejay.com

[Edited by hitman on 11-30-2000 at 02:35 PM]

Digital Performer

I just bought a new G4, and I switched from Cubase to Digital Performer 2.7. IMO, it's way better... much better audio support and easier editing. Better interface, too. The only problems with it so far are my lack of a sampler... it doesn't support REX files (cut up audio from ReCycle) the way Cubase does, so it looks like my jungle days are over, until I get a sampler; and the fact that it doesn't support VST. Oh well. I'll have to live with DP and Premiere plugs. Has anyone else used DP? I know it's not out for PCs, but if there are any Mac-heads out there, I suggest you give it a try.

This, coming from a man who once touted Cubase as the "greatest piece of software ever designed". For shame.

Has anyone used the Proteus 2000/Virtuoso 2000? I was looking into them. Also, if anyone has used an E-Mu sampler, I'd like to hear your experiences.

--sam

Hi samalexander and welcome !

Do you use an external audio interface with your G4, and which G4 did you choose the single or multiprocessor ?

more DP stuff

Right now, I'm just using my built-in audio. I went for the single processor G4 because I DESPISE Mac OS X (the powerful new BSD based system) and that's the only way to get any value out of the extra processors.

--sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back