FL Studio: Correct Sample Pitch

Magnificentbutcher

Chinese Soul Brother #1
For any experts here, I had a question about how to get the correct key of a sample in FL 9. I select a chop in Edison and us the pitch determination feature, but let's say the sample is in the key of C. How do I then use that sample if I want to play it in E or another key? Right now I'm just pitching it up by ear and that's definitely not an exact science since I don't have perfect pitch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Set the central pitch to C3 on the piano roll, so that when you play C, you hear C. Then if you play E, you should be hearing E.

You could use a tuner. I've not used much pitch detection but I'll bet that they are sometimes off when it comes to harmonics.

Make sure your tuner (could be a piano plugin) and pitch detection are in sync.

from what ive read it seems 1200 cents= one octave

100= the difference from note to note.

so try pitching it up 200 cents or down 500 cents (guess it depends on the octave you seek)

see if that works.

if not, then havw you heard of melodyne? you should look into it.

Not sure about FL studio. I use Logic and ESX 24 sampler. Everytime I pitch somthing. It effects the sample length. Which hurts the sound. Any suggestions. Have heard about Melodyn... King of expensive. There must be a more effective way!?!?

in your channel settings go to the little piano and where you see C5 lit orange just right click on the other keys until its in tune. whatever sounds right is probably the root note

in your channel settings go to the little piano and where you see C5 lit orange just right click on the other keys until its in tune. whatever sounds right is probably the root note
Yes. Yes. Yes. I know how to pitch it up and down the piano roll. This will pitch the sample up and down by semi-tones/tones. The problem is in doing this is that when it changes pitch it changes the length of the sample. I am looking for a way to change the pitch of the sample without effecting the sample length.

if its a sample then try reloop the end of the sample, some samples like basses work better if you can find a uniform section to loop then cut off everything after it in a sample editor

Last edited:
Back