Could the age of your gear, make your music sound old and outdated

I
Emoticon_a-heart.gif
THM
je je

Thanks for taking your time to listen them. I don't understand, why such a tiny synth, can make such a big difference. I have a good equipment, I even considered that I didn't need the Electribe, but it was a bargain, added it and I was amazed of its sound.

These tracks are not mastered. They are improvisations, I'm jammin' while the cd is burning. Also, I don't even have a mixer to send the audio outputs

I blame the Korg Electribe EMX 1 for the drastic change of the sound. And also, I was very isolated from modern music, and I try to receive influences from new productions. I spent around 10 hours per day practicing to improve my music to send it to the Red Bull Music Academy Barcelona 2008.

Here are downloable versions, at 192 and 256 kbp, so they sound better. These are just 2 of 8 tracks I produced on 15 days of hard work and reinvention...

DOWLOAD CLOUDS OF HOPE 2 (click on "descargar"):

http://www.crbeats.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=402

DOWNLOAD CLOUDS OF HOPE 1 (click on "descargar")

http://www.crbeats.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=403

don't forget to write the security code
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these - you're da man !! :cheers:

btw: eh - is it possible that you gave twice the same link ? :confused:

[Edit] Both are working fine now - thanks !! :cheers:

Last edited:
This track has a huge difference from the previous ones, totally a different style and sound quality, it was made with only a EMU command station (but with 3 extra roms) and a Yamaha A4000 sampler. Kinda of lounge, kinda of chill out, but very bizarre track.

Equipment you use definitly affects a lot the quality of music that you compose. Is true that is more important the mind behind the gear than the gear itself, but the result will always be the synergy between both of them, and maybe there are synthesizers that are a must to compose certain type of music.

Comonbao
live act performance
Costa Rica, Montezuma beach:
Download (descarga) 192 kbp. Don't forget security code.
http://www.crbeats.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=404

And thanx a lot for listening. Hope you enjoy it. The tracks is a lot of mixed emotions, comes from "joking" to groovy, to dramatic and emotional in 6:34 min. live performance mistakes were not removed

Last edited:
Comonbao:

Nice lounge track; should need imho some mastering to bring it to a higher level, but the composition is very nice.
And btw: it's excellent played for a live track !!

Coral:

Nice composition again !! Lounge track, good modern sound (perfectly suiting the lounge genre), great stereo delay action, only the bass drum in the second half sounds not so good to me. Or it should be played a little less loud, or you should use an other one. And hey - that's only my personal opinion - no offense - maybe other people will like it more.

Great work & cheers !! :cheers:

thanks for your feedback THM. I take very serious your criteria in order to make improvements, and also from any member who wants to listen and provide judgements.

BTW: all my tracks are live...no one is edited on computer or remixed...everything is realtime performance.
thank you

Don't be offended, but what's the benefit of recording all of this live? You're trying to send it off for whatever, don't you think you'd be able to make better sounding music if you had more time to work on each song? I mean sure, play live during your sets, but when in the studio, why not use it for what it's there for? You won't find many musicians with widespread appeal who just "jam". And that goes for most any type of music, not just electronic music, outside of hippie jam bands, not many musicians who refuse to record in more than one take.

Your post is not offensive at all, but it's the way I enjoyed the most.
That's my way to be a musician.

But that doesn't mean that I won't take one of my tracks and go to work it on an estudio one of this days.

I connect several synthesizers with MIDI. No mixer. No Pcs. Almost no samples. Only samples I use are single shots, like a voice phrase.

Tapping "play" on the main synth sequencer, activates all the synths, and then.... start to jamming!!!. A few seconds before that I pressed "record" on a realtime Marantz CD burner.

Play a solo on the keyboard, mute this hi hat track, move those knobs to modify certain patch, activate a motion sequence on the korg, tweak this sound on the virus. I become absolutely frenetic getting involve with all the synths surrounding me. For each track I recorded, there were 10 failed trials. A finger on the wrong note, picked up the wrong pattern, etc. But recordable cds are cheap...

I like to capture forever that state of the mind. Hard to explain how much enjoy those moments. You should see my face when playing, I simple love to perform music. I see frozen recordings like dead musical notes.

A disadvantage is that I can't never repeat the same track in the same way. But something that I feel like "working" is to play same song, again, again and again during years.

Do you think that U2 enjoys playing "with or without you" live in the same way they did it 20 years ago???? or any band that have played the same hit 5000 times????

my method have its advantages and disadvantages. If you hear the 2 versions of Clouds of Hope, I made them exactly with the same patterns, and they were recorded with just minutes of difference. But I have infinite paths to follow each time I play a "track"

But maybe I'm an ignorant musician.... :(

It's not ignorant, I think you just might be limiting yourself. Jamming is a little easier, the longest it will take to make a song is the length of the song, whereas with a track by track song you could spend years perfecting. There's also the advantage of mixing and mastering to sweeten up the sound, compressors and equalizers can go a long way. Sometimes I just jam like you're talking about, get a few going, record a pattern, mute a track etc. And I always write a sequence by jamming along. There's nothing wrong with the way you're making music, but if you want to make things that have a wider appeal, you may have to change your songwriting up.

:cheers: Your considerations are absolutely valid, thank you man.
Jamming in the way I do is not so easy. I'm totally frenetic tweaking and playing while recording.

But it's true that you can improve a track a lot working in the studio classic way. But my goal is trying to make something different than the rest. I need to be able to play a track is the best possible way on live performance.

I don't know if you listened the realtime recorded tracks that I posted on this thread...

You'll find the TR 909 cowbell on any modern synth.

To be exact, there is NO cowbell in TR-909. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist... BTW. I envy your Fizmo! And J106 was my first synth in early ninetees, i miss it too.

Last edited:
I think you need to draw a distinction between Features, Composition and techniques...and maybe even the original era of the gear.

If I use those same 'modern synths' and produce using the same cliche production techniques from the past then my music WILL sound dated.

I think innovation and creative composition are not limited to the modern feature set of any studio tool- that still comes from the user -who may find inspiration from a feature/quirk or ability of a particular studio tool.

For something to sound modern- it has to be following some sort of a trend. How do you find innovation following a trend?
What he said. I also must point out that there were I'm sure many people who thought that the TR-808 went the way of the dodo until these hip hop cats brought it back. Everything goes in and out and back. Enjoy it!

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Btw. That OLD drum machine now and continues to define a generation of music
Jazzydrewproductions on soundcloud

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

But.... You probably shouldn't listen to much of what I say on this subject as the vast majority of my production is done inthebox. Good luck with the Academy!!!

Back