Buffer underruns driving me insane

Coleman1

Coleman1
I know everyone can get this problem, but it's really frustrating me. I've boosted everything to the max, watched every video just to try and spare cpu and it still isn't enough. I have an older laptop, I don't know the ram and all that but it's just an older toshiba but what can I do to prevent this? I can't exactly produce when it's so horrendous.

which daw? we can assume but it would be just that an assumption that may not match the truth of your reality

Sorry I didn't know if that mattered. FL Studio. It's obviously when I start to add in more layers into my synths etc and more plugins that it rises more. I really just want to get back at it but can't because of this yet:(

have you tried the recommended procedures from imageline yet

have you tried the triple buffer length setting?

check on their website for exact steps to fix this or search fl buffer here at fp - it has been answered many times

"Older laptop" is probably the issue depending on plug ins being used. But the core program should run fine on just about anything. If you're using a bunch of plug ins that eat at your CPU, you may want to try a minimalist approach. Last time I used FL on a Native windows system, it was a 3ghz P4 processor(ever heard of those? Prehistoric). It was either FL 8 or 9. I've used 11 wrapped on my Mac and don't see many differences, but on that P4, I had to make judgement calls when I loaded vsts.

By any chance are you using a soundcard/interface with built in ASIO? That is a must.

**NEED HELP!** bad cpu

Hey guys, I've had a toshiba laptop for a while now. I can't really tell you the ram size and all that but basically I've been getting horrendous buffer underruns. I've tried to do every thing I've found, every too on image line to prevent it but it just won't stop crackling and freezing. Does this mean I need to upgrade my PC or yet, get a new computer..?

yeah maybe freezing tracks is the solution for this

ps deranged, I'm still using a p4 3Ghz processor

Yeah I'm using the ASIO4all v2, and have enabled anything to possibly spare the cpu but the cpu still skyrockets. I don't know what to do at all

And it isn't ancient old it's just not very modern. I do plan to get a mac one day but for now I accept I just have to make do. Just any ideas to how I can resolve this for now would just be amazing..

several other threads about the topic of how best to select your next computer so I won't go any further

if you have tried all of the recommended steps by imageline then there is not much left to do except start tweaking your os for audio

you cold download and run crapcleaner to remove old kludge from your machine (it won't fix everything but it will remove obsolete registry entries and scrub the temp folders clean)

then use a google search "tweak audio settings for insert-your-windows-os-here" to find out what to do next

Last edited:
What is 'a while' ?
Longer then 3 years? If yes, buy a new one imo.
If not, bring it to the shop. If you can't even tell how much ram is in there, tells me you don't know a whole lot about computers and it'd take a lot of back and forth communication to find the exact reason, while if you'd go to the shop with it, they're probably gonna find it a lot faster. There's a risk that the person at the shop is gonna want to sell you a new one though.

to b-side just noticed that he had double threaded so merged the original with the one you answered

Guys so my computers specs are;
- cpu; AMD V series processor V140 2.3ghz
- RAM; 2GB DDR3 expandable 8GB

It's still doing it horrifically and I just don't know what to do.

2.3ghz isnt bad at ALL, but some programs will eat your built in soundcard alive like omnisphere and reaktor.
If you dont have a dedicated soundcard or interface, please find one.
didnt read the whole thread but if you're having underruns, what'd you do to fl?

Last edited:
We're talking about a single core processor that is 4 years old. Which windows are you running? That cpu together with the amount of mem will already struggle to keep windows 7 running. There's also tweaks to kill all the visual crap in win 7, though a lot of them will call on your graph card and a handful will call on your cpu.
I, personally, wouldn't bother with something this old. But maybe I'm spoiled. AMD has disappointed me a lot in comparisson to what Intel has been offering us. Definitely in 2010.
Those cpus for those boards now, if you can even find em, will cost you a couple of bucks. If you really want to keep on going with the elderly impaired, buy a better cpu for the board, buy the fastest mem the board can handle, 40 to 50 bucks upgrade, if you can find it. Then install win xp 64 bit on it. Look for win xp 64 tweaks for audio, tweak the computer to have a sole purpose of making music with. Make sure you have a production AI. You could skip the buying part and still do the rest.
Imo, just buy a new computer. I'm not a fan of macs, but if you want to pay more bucks then a pc for a no nonsense stable mac, go buy a mac. If you want more bang for your buck and are willing to deal with microsoft crap (yeah, you could install linux or whatnot, but I'd advise against that if your looking for the least amount of hassle), buy a computer. Desktop or laptop. Cheapest and most bang for your buck, build your pc yourself, or find someone that is willing to do it for you for free or cheap.

Last edited:
So you guys think I should upgrade my CPU? Or get a better audio interface? Or both? Idk. I can't exactly afford a new computer just at the moment, so im trying to do my best with what I have at the moment. The computer is about maybe 2 years old, maybe a little longer not so sure. Either way, the buffer underruns are really frustrating and if I have to get those upgrades I'm okay with that. But that's only if I'm sure doing that will actually work. Wouldn't want to pay money for something that doesn't actually solve the problem..

Back