Where Do These Brass Sounds Come From?

Thanks.

Which VST plugins come close to this?

Just trying to look out for those options which come close.

should be able to do this with any of the orchestral brass setups

you just need to understand that you are probably layering trombones and horns in 5ths and octave to get this sound. Use a bass trombone for the lowest pitch and two tenor trombones for the 5th and octave e.g. G-D-G. Similarly, use three horns one to each note (knowing that in some cases the lowest note may not play as it falls beneath the range of the horn). The horn patch should be aggressive Horns - you get the dark flavour by subtle low pass filtering as well as choosing to use open horns rather than muted, although the muting can add a whole new snarling character to some lines

should be able to do this with any of the orchestral brass setups

you just need to understand that you are probably layering trombones and horns in 5ths and octave to get this sound. Use a bass trombone for the lowest pitch and two tenor trombones for the 5th and octave e.g. G-D-G. Similarly, use three horns one to each note (knowing that in some cases the lowest note may not play as it falls beneath the range of the horn). The horn patch should be aggressive Horns - you get the dark flavour by subtle low pass filtering as well as choosing to use open horns rather than muted, although the muting can add a whole new snarling character to some lines

Is it uncommon to play triads with brass? Or should I stick to the 2 note power chords like you mentioned? In the project I'm working on right now I have 3 trumpets playing a chord progression. Might change that and see how it sounds. Maybe throw a different type of orchestral element on the 3rd.

Last edited:
I'm talking about notes at the bottom of the bass clef and into the bass clef - standard orchestral writing has you ensuring that the distances between notes are kept to octaves, 5ths and 4ths in this register to avoid clashes between upper harmonics in each of the notes

for your trumpets no problems writing triads or other close harmony once you are above middle c

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I understand what you are saying.

I have had a look at Garritan Orchestra on YouTube and in my opinion it sounds good.

And I am wondering if there is not a VST plugin where one could choose a preset and do that low brass sound right away?

When thinking of a real orchestra is there not a way to do this low brass sound right away, would this have to happen with a combination of instruments?

I would appreciate it if somebody could post an audio example!

Look at this for example, you can hear the sound at the 1 min mark, this was what I have been looking for:

I guess the preset in that video has a combination of instruments too. Can somebody confirm this?

Last edited:
that is a single line of pitch - no octave doublings, no doublings at the 5th or 4th just overtones and brassy goodness - has to be otherwise the responsive demo given just moments later with the same sound would sound like crap

might be able to do this with a unison doubling of a bass trombone and a horn across their entire range

Back