Beginner Producer, Help Please?

bassbryan

Hello all, I'm new to this website but it seems that there are tons of knowledgeable people on here! So before I get into what I really need help with, I'll start with some basics. I'm turning 20 next month and a junior college, I haven't had much interest in producing music until the past few months and I'm finally changing my lazy ways and 100% ready to commit myself to the very long and exhausting process, that is making music. I love EDM (house, dubstep, trap, etc.) and I really want to learn how to produce it. I have been using Ableton Live 9 occasionally, and been reading and watching tutorials on how to make music. I know this question comes up a lot, but what do you guys recommend as the best DAW for producing EDM? I find Ableton Live 9 a bit confusing at times, or maybe I just need to spend more time on it. Should I stick to it and learn it out, or do you guys think FL, Cubase, Reason, etc. would be better options? What do I need in order to begin producing music? Also if anyone could recommend some beginner books for me I would REALLY appreciate it. I am willing to learn as much as possible and realize that this a process that takes years. I just need help with a start point more than anything. One last question, where do you guys recommend that I get sample packs and VST's for my DAW? Any specific websites? Free would be preferred. I know I kind of asked a lot, but I appreciate every single response! Thanks a lot :-)

Well i dont use ableton, but can tell a great place for samples!

Nois3.com
flmusicstudio.com

and of course future producer forms! Its a lot of producers on here who showcase there samples! Is all for free!

Hope this helps

I use Ableton Live 9 along with Komplete 8 (Plugins) and I've tried all the others. Trust me, once you learn how to use Live, it will be the easiest thing ever. Just keep learning and you'll get it some time. Any DAW will be confusing at first, but Logic or Cubase is way more confusing.

I use Ableton Live 9 along with Komplete 8 (Plugins) and I've tried all the others. Trust me, once you learn how to use Live, it will be the easiest thing ever. Just keep learning and you'll get it some time. Any DAW will be confusing at first, but Logic or Cubase is way more confusing.

Any recommended youtube tutorials or tutorials in general for Ableton Live? Also do you recommend reading the manual?

Just stick with Ableton. I know people say FL Studio is good for beginners. That's not completely true. People just start on FL Studio because it's easy to get for free. That's why so many people start on it. You have Ableton for some kind of reason. Something made you get over everything else. So just stick with it. I highly recommend reading the manual. I know it's a lot, so take it one day at a time. Try reading it only when you run into a problem or get stuck. Eventually, you will know everything about it. Every DAW is pretty much the same. It's how much you know about the DAW. Some Ableton EDM Tutorial links
For Dubstep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93p0A_19up0
It's a 7 part video. It's very good.

For Complextro/Electro House:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEnvnnWcoCM

For Progressive House:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A0fWZOBtGE

For Trap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcPVpYdGs-Y

Ableton is great for EDM just like FL and Reason. Actually, a lot of EDM producers use Ableton to produce and for Live Sets.

About VSTs. I understand you don't want to spend money where you don't have to. That's great. Especially when you're just starting out. Things are better than they were five years ago. You can produce great music for FREE. It's great VST's out there. Some links to free VSTs
TAL - Togu Audio Line: Products
FireBird
Alchemy Player - Free VST/Audio Unit/RTAS Plugin - Free SFZ Player + 1GB Samples
Software Synthesizer Synth1
u-he TyrellN6
Zebralette

These are all great. Tutorial may use other VSTs, but you can apply most of that knowledge to any VST you have.

It's nice tat you have already have Ableton. I'm not using Ableton but a lot of electro producers use it so I guess it's quite good....

Like others said, just spend some time with the software and it will reward....

If not, you can buy Maschine...it's quite easy to use. It's what I use but I export everything after in Logic. I find it better for sequencing and recording audio and vocals.

Now with the arriving of Ableton Push...I'm just so tempted to buy it...and spend some time learning Ableton. It seems to open up so many possibilites that I can't do with Maschine....

Back