Need help from the pros Im stuck!

I've been making Drum n Bass and trying to get on to some other genres since 2012 sept
Usually everything is okayish like I'll finish a track and have trouble starting my next one but I always get it done
But right now I have hit a gigantic fat @ss Wall that wont move the hell outta my way
I just cannot make anything well, good
no matter how many tutorials and how long I spend working on it I just always end up with crap
Anybody got any ideas
Like what can I do to make a good sounding melody and overall chords for gods sake
Chords are usually easy but not like I cant even find the right instrument
(Usually I use piano though =/ )
Help?

Anyone know any good Vst's As well?
I like to mix a lot of sounds but recently I've been using Nexus toooo much
Gotta try something else

Last edited:
requoted from here

There is no one way to progress or create when composing as there are so many paths you can travel.

Most pop music is based within one of several scale/mode choices:

Major: Major scale/Lydian mode/Mixolydian mode
Minor: Natural minor scale/Harmonic (and all of its modes) minor scale/Melodic (and all of its modes) minor scale/Dorian mode/Phrygian mode

Chord progressions can be chosen before or after scale/mode choice: i.e. both provide a pointer to the tonality/modality in use.

Instrument choices are an important of composing as they form the basis for expressing your ideas.

Structural ideas are also important as they allocate/relegate different instruments to different roles. There are two levels of structural ideas:
  1. Level 1
    • Melody: the main melodic ideas singer, solos, etc
    • Counter-Melody: the response to the call of the melody
    • Harmony: chords
    • Rhythm: percussion and bass (bass also draws on harmony)
  2. Level 2
    • Formal structures
      • Ternary: ABA | AABA | ABAA | ABBA | etc a lot of RnB is based in this type of structure
      • Binary: AB | AAB | ABB | etc sometimes called Verse Chorus form, the B section can be broken down into other formal structures as well
      • Rondo: ABACABA and variants (also called ritornello or returning form) Fur Elise is an example of this one
      • Song Forms: Intro Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Solo Bridge Chorus Verse Chorus Chorus Outro is one of many examples
    • In each of the above no indication has been given about numbers of bars for a section (AB or the various song form sections) - these can be from 4 to 8 to 16 for an individual section. The AABA and variants is usually called 32 bar song form, i.e. 8 bars per section letter. AB is usually called 16 bar song form for the same reasons. However, there is nothing stopping you from taking these structural components and making the smaller or larger

When analysing harmonic progressions (chord progressions) we usually use the letters found in the level formal structures to represent different parts of the chord progression as they relate to the overall structure.

Think of the level 2 structural ideas as the scaffold to hang your level 1 ideas on (your chord progressions and melodic ideas).

The rest is simply choosing a path and experimenting as you follow it......

If uncertain about some terms in this post, use the search here at fp to find deeper explanations

extension to the above quoted material

In terms of percussion and drums, you need to analyse what you are trying to duplicate and apply the results of that analysis to your writing:
  • How often does the kick come in?
  • How is the snare used? simple back-beat (2 and 4)? rolls and fills?
  • What function do the hi-hats have? time keeping? off-beat emphasis? decorative?
  • Are other percussive sounds used?
    If so,
    • how? rhythmic features, dynamics, etc
    • where? structural usage (verse, chorus, bridge, etc) is often important in defining a style
    • how often? how many beats/bars between appearances?

As usual, bandcoach to the rescue.

Everything he said plus patience and practice.......listen, listen, listen, post post post......

it's only hard if you try to do things that you don't understand how to do; learn a little, apply it; learn a little more apply it too and so it goes

Back