Where do I start?

DJScrewFan

I'm clueless on making beats, I'm 16 and wanna get started, but i dont know where to start. I have a numark mixdeck set of turntables and have chopped n screwed music on it but i dunno if that'll come in use for making beats. Should I download an internet program? and what other things do i need to start? Thanks

get reaper or renoise
get an audio interface
read the manuals (aka rtfm) and experiment
Learn some baisc ideas about music such as
  • instruments to use
  • notes
  • rhythm
  • intervals
  • scales
  • chords
  • melodic invention - creating a new melody from scratch
  • melodic decoration - adding new notes whilst shortening the notes/rhythms in an existing melody
  • melodic development - taking a melody and creating new ideas form it (not necessarily the same as decoration as you may change pitch instead of just adding notes)
  • melodic variation - combination of decoration and development
  • arranging - sections and structures as well as applying instruments to each
  • orchestrating - applying instruments to a particular line.

Pick one at a time and learn just enough so that you are not stressing - usually when you head starts fuzzing, you've learnt enough for that session - that is the point where your brain is working hard to integrate the new information into your existing experiences and knowledge.

Ask questions here, at school in the music department, anywhere where you trust the person giving the answer....

Last edited:
^

Seems like a lot. But those really are key components to creating music, if you're starting from scratch. I'm sure not everyone knows those ideas by name, and maybe they aren't even aware they know it/apply it every session. But those elements are there when someone makes music - whether they realize it or not. Knowing more about them can only help. The more you learn, practice, and experiment, the easier those points will come to you.

One (out of many) good way to start learning any instrument/musical style is to copy the songs you like and listen to everyday. Helps the learning curve to deal with familiar material, before you dive into trying to produce originals.

Back