Virtual Instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destinationup

I am looking for some software that is loaded with Virtual instruments. I am a learning producer and I always wanted to try, Komplete 7, omnisphere, kore 2. Now since my budget is low I can only afford one since I am having a 800 dollar super computer built.

I need software that will work in windows 7 64 bit. I think all three do.
More importantly it must work within my DAW as full compatibility. I am using SONAR PRODUCER 8.5.
I don't know if this means anything but i am using an xr 20 and yamaha mm6. I do believe the mm6 can work as a controller.

So of the three since I am a beginner level producer which of the three software titles should I get.

You really only have two options presented; Kore 2, at least the player version, is included in Komplete 7.

I have no experience with omnisphere, but I have heard lots of good things about it.

I'm currently looking to upgrade to Komplete 7 from Komplete 6.

I attended a product launch presentation and have to say that I am seriously impressed with the new stuff in Komplete 7, particularly the additional sound sets such as Scarbee Bass and Abbey Road Drums.

Although I don't own it personally, Komplete 7 should absolutely cover all of your bases.

You are a new producer you shouldn't be loading off on software this way. You don't need every virtual instrument known to man. There is such of a thing as having too many sounds especially when starting out. Buy 1 and learn it inside and out and then find other instruments to cover weak areas where your other gear lacks. Thats buying wisely. Right now you look to be buying whatever is hot.

Komplete might be the best buy on the planet right now.

You get waaay too much for the price lol, and you have options to further expand inexpensively since there are tons of 3rd party libraries for Kontakt. Many are relatively inexpensive (except for the ones developers spent a ridiculous amount of time on).

I agree with Xabition

when i first started i stole a bunch of vsts and had no idea how to use them and got completely lost
after that i bought reason and learned it inside and out:learned about the instruments how to tweak them, make my own, add fx, and even found some go to presets

that is what you should be doing now

my suggestion is LennarDigital Sylenth1 and Luxonix Purity

Sylenth1 is a synth that is very easy to learn the controls and learn how to tweak and make your own sounds, it is also very expandable wit soundbanks but i would suggest you learn the factory bank inside and out before you go that direction

Purity is a workstation vst it has keyboards, basses, strings, guitars, horns, synths etc but the workflow is very simple and you can get your knowledge up on layering and tweaking sampler instruments

i will admit that Komplete 7 is the "largest" bang for your buck but there is allot of content... starting out it may become overwhelming (fm8, absynth, massive, kontakt, etc)... after a few months of testing it out, i think Halion Sonic would be a good starting point... it is new... steinberg is planning on producing add-on libraries for it (room for growth)... and at $249... not to bad on the pocket... the sounds are "nice" and plenty of them...

i think starting out simple is the ideal way to go... again komplete 7 is a "great" product but it may be too much for someone starting out... in other words an individual will spend most of their time flipping thru sounds/patches instead of making music...

to the OP... it may sound impressive to own a ton of vsti but you should think about productivity first... you are not going to be to productive flipping thru a ton of sounds/patches...

Komplete 7 is large , but you do have all types of sounds ,not just synth sounds .you have drums,organs,pianos,gtr.,and so on. plus if that is all you can get it will hold you down for a long time to come.

omnisphere is good but not something you would use as an all around inst. kore is very good as well but you need Komplete to get the most out of it .

Komplete 7 plus the inst in cakewake DAW will hold you for a good long time . by the way to me Massive blows Sylenth1 out the window,

Last edited:
Komplete. Since Kontakt is included you can forever expand upon it but X is right dont overload yourself with sounds cause too many too fast can actually hurt you

i will admit that Komplete 7 is the "largest" bang for your buck but there is allot of content... starting out it may become overwhelming (fm8, absynth, massive, kontakt, etc)... after a few months of testing it out, i think Halion Sonic would be a good starting point... it is new... steinberg is planning on producing add-on libraries for it (room for growth)... and at $249... not to bad on the pocket... the sounds are "nice" and plenty of them...

i think starting out simple is the ideal way to go... again komplete 7 is a "great" product but it may be too much for someone starting out... in other words an individual will spend most of their time flipping thru sounds/patches instead of making music...

to the OP... it may sound impressive to own a ton of vsti but you should think about productivity first... you are not going to be to productive flipping thru a ton of sounds/patches...
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I agree with Xabition

when i first started i stole a bunch of vsts and had no idea how to use them and got completely lost
after that i bought reason and learned it inside and out:learned about the instruments how to tweak them, make my own, add fx, and even found some go to presets

that is what you should be doing now

my suggestion is LennarDigital Sylenth1 and Luxonix Purity

Sylenth1 is a synth that is very easy to learn the controls and learn how to tweak and make your own sounds, it is also very expandable wit soundbanks but i would suggest you learn the factory bank inside and out before you go that direction

Purity is a workstation vst it has keyboards, basses, strings, guitars, horns, synths etc but the workflow is very simple and you can get your knowledge up on layering and tweaking sampler instruments

nah i should be doing is what i am doing now getting the most instruments i can. I do not plan on upgrading for a while (3 to 4 years) and i need more sounds so that my music never seems the same. because i personally do not like music that is repetitive which is what a lot of people on youtube do with their music. you click on the next beat and there are only slight variations.

i need tons of synths. so which one has the most you guys?

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I do not want anything to do with Steinberg.

nah i should be doing is what i am doing now getting the most instruments i can. I do not plan on upgrading for a while (3 to 4 years) and i need more sounds so that my music never seems the same. because i personally do not like music that is repetitive which is what a lot of people on youtube do with their music. you click on the next beat and there are only slight variations.

Well, let's dissect what you just said. If you are a piano player, should you be trying to practice your piano skills until you have mastered them, or should you be trying to buy as many pianos as you can afford and fit into your home?

the-thinker.jpg

i just think "producing/beat making" are different than throwing money at "producing/beat making"...

i also see that individuals that are starting out put more emphases on "tools" than "skills"...

i think the OP should get komplete 7, omnisphere, trillian and everything else under the sun and come back and tell us "how" productive he/she is...

i wish i could be there when the OP gets this setup of his/her dreams, sits down and start wondering what to do next...

8d72c_funny-pictures-cat-has-lots-of-toilet-paper.jpg

Last edited:
FYI!!!

steinberg invented/created VST technology!!!!

I am talking in the sense that I would have to go directly through them. Dealing with cubase set up was not fun for me and they had weak support with their own software. The guy I spoke to was a complete moron when it came to the software i am hoping that was a trainee and not a full technician.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Well, let's dissect what you just said. If you are a piano player, should you be trying to practice your piano skills until you have mastered them, or should you be trying to buy as many pianos as you can afford and fit into your home?

This makes no sense. I piano and a synth are two totally different things. Like I just want synths. I asked for a recommendation of my personal choices of the three. Omnisphere, Komplete or Kore 2.
Let's get back on topic.

For the people who have used Komplete or Kore 2. Do the sounds seem like they were just thrown in for quantity or are they very quality sounds?

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

i just think "producing/beat making" are different than throwing money at "producing/beat making"...

i also see that individuals that are starting out put more emphases on "tools" than "skills"...

i think the OP should get komplete 7, omnisphere, trillian and everything else under the sun and come back and tell us "how" productive he/she is...

i wish i could be there when the OP gets this setup of his/her dreams, sits down and start wondering what to do next...

I don't look at this as throwing money at something but rather investing. And for starting producers they should invest within their budget and that is what I am trying to do. i don't wanna pay 200 dollars on cheap synthesizer with cheap quality to turn around 1 year later and pay 500 dollars more for a different synth because the first synth didn't have what I wanted. I will not waste 700 dollars in paying for synths when I only want one program. One program that will give me enough on 5+ years without me getting bored.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Nope, you need a few good ones - something like Zebra will do 90% of the synths you'll ever need - and the skills to use them.

Hey this is a really good synth program. Where do you get this from. There are some sounds I like. But I haven't heard all of them. Hey if you could fine a synth that is cheaper than the three I was looking at but just as good then recommend those.
And this is not geared towards you, but there are some people on this thread that are unconsciously trying to make me feel bad because I want to try out Kore 2, Komplete or Omnisphere. I would understand if I wanted all three but I only want one program that will fit into my Sonar Program seamlessly w/o too many complications.

I don't look at this as throwing money at something but rather investing. And for starting producers they should invest within their budget and that is what I am trying to do. i don't wanna pay 200 dollars on cheap synthesizer with cheap quality to turn around 1 year later and pay 500 dollars more for a different synth because the first synth didn't have what I wanted. I will not waste 700 dollars in paying for synths when I only want one program. One program that will give me enough on 5+ years without me getting bored.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

again, it sounds like "your" money is burning your pockets...

secondly, when you look at vsti that were popular 5 years ago they are not so popular today... with todays technology these vsti are disposable... lets take a look at omnisphere... it took me about 9 months to go thru the sounds in omnisphere... how long do you think it is going to take to go thru "all" the sounds in komplete 7?

question...

in the next five years do you plan on making any music? because it will take about five years to go thru all those sounds in komplete 7...

you are not the first person to make a thread on this subject matter... and anyone with any experience will tell you to start simple/small... by the time you have grasped komplete 7 and the other software you are talking about it will be time to get new ones... i bet my bottom dollar that will be the case...

i "do" want you to spend a sh!t load of cash on vsti(s) but from time to time (please) report back to "us" and tell us how productive you are... this will be a "great" case study for "all" indivduals that are starting out... we could point them to this thread... the dos and donts of buying a sh!t of "tools"...

ok?

p.s. i bet 5 years from now you will be telling "beginnings" do not buy a sh!t load of "tools" but learn the concepts of making music first... because you are going to learn pretty quickly that the "tools" do not make the music...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

again, it sounds like "your" money is burning your pockets...

secondly, when you look at vsti that were popular 5 years ago they are not so popular today... with todays technology these vsti are disposable... lets take a look at omnisphere... it took me about 9 months to go thru the sounds in omnisphere... how long do you think it is going to take to go thru "all" the sounds in komplete 7?

question...

in the next five years do you plan on making any music? because it will take about five years to go thru all those sounds in komplete 7...

you are not the first person to make a thread on this subject matter... and anyone with any experience will tell you to start simple/small... by the time you have grasped komplete 7 and the other software you are talking about it will be time to get new ones... i bet my bottom dollar that will be the case...

i "do" want you to spend a sh!t load of cash on vsti(s) but from time to time (please) report back to "us" and tell us how productive you are... this will be a "great" case study for "all" indivduals that are starting out... we could point them to this thread... the dos and donts of buying a sh!t of "tools"...

ok?

p.s. i bet 5 years from now you will be telling "beginnings" do not buy a sh!t load of "tools" but learn the concepts of making music first... because you are going to learn pretty quickly that the "tools" do not make the music...

how does this sound like money is burning my pockets when I clearly said "I will not waste 700 dollars buying synths." ??? You don't really have an argument. I want a synthesizer that will last for a long time which would be komplete 7, kore 2 and Omnisphere that I know of. I don't have to use every single sound in an instrument in 5 years. I just need enough to get inspired by. Music inspires me but makes a fool out of people like you who stoop to insulting when they clearly can not understand the thread's purpose. Which was to pick out the best synthesizer of the three or recommend one with equal quality.

Stick to the point of the thread and stop trying to insult people like me because you have nothing better to do with your time.

Simply put:

Komplete will be the best bang for your buck. 24 Synths/modules/what-have-you. Sounds are genuinely useful and modifiable, even in Kontakt and Kore Player.

If you get Kore as a standalone, you will still need to buy sample packs over and above.

I have not used omnisphere.

However, as has been said, don't confuse skills with tools. Improving your chops as a composer/producer takes time. Improving your skills as a sound designer takes time.

You need to acquire:
    • keyboard skills or
    • superior understanding of how to emulate with mouse entry (it can be done)
  1. Mixing skills
  2. EQ skills
  3. FX skills
  4. Mastering Skills
  5. Theory skills
    • harmony skills
    • arranging skills
    • orchestration skills
    • melodic skills
    • rhythmic skills

Last edited:
Status