Maschine sucks someone school me on Reason

oxygenbeats

So I got Maschine the other day and despite some features I like, overall it is not good for what I am doing. The main problem is the inability to layer sounds, which is essential. There are some work around but they are a headache. I'm thinking about moving to Reason with a midi controller, but don't have much experience with it. How easy it to layer a couple sounds in reason and be able to eq each one individually. I know Reason has a couple programs with it, is something like this an option? I'm also gonna be sampling alot to. Is it fairly easy to sample, chop, and assign to keys? I'm just looking for a straight foreward workflow. Some one who uses reason drop me a line and let me know whats good

Last edited:
So I got Maschine the other day and despite some features I like, overall it is not good for what I am doing. The main problem is the inability to layer sounds, which is essential. There are some work around but they are a headache. I'm thinking about moving to Reason with a midi controller, but don't have much experience with it. How easy it to layer a couple sounds in reason and be able to eq each one individually. I know Reason has a couple programs with it, is something like this an option? I'm also gonna be sampling alot to. Is it fairly easy to sample, chop, and assign to keys? I'm just looking for a straight foreward workflow. Some one who uses reason drop me a line and let me know whats good

looks like you did not read the manual for the Maschine to well!!!

yeah I saw that, but thats what I meant when a "workaround" thats not right for my workflow, thanks for the response though

You really want to switch because of a workaround with changing the velocity when layering drums? I wouldn't go with reason if I were you, especially if you want to sample.

You really want to switch because of a workaround with changing the velocity when layering drums? I wouldn't go with reason if I were you, especially if you want to sample.
Reason is dope for sampling. Im not sure why people say otherwise. I dont have enough recent experience with Maschine to say its a bad move but Reason 5 is the shit.

Yeah I have other problems with sampling in Maschine. Mainly the fact that sequences are done by pad banks so you can't have more than 16 samples in the same sequence, cutting each other, which is no good when I get on my 75 chop shit.

Yeah I have other problems with sampling in Maschine. Mainly the fact that sequences are done by pad banks so you can't have more than 16 samples in the same sequence, cutting each other, which is no good when I get on my 75 chop shit.

there's no reason to do that many chops.......

I do what the music calls for, sometimes its that many chops if not more, I don't think I've made a beat in years though that hasent gone over 16 chops so its still a hassle

Reason 5 is dope. You can layer a couple ways now, make a combinator or you can do layering right in the new Kongs interface. I haven't used it yet for actually recording a sample but you can do that too now.. if your sampling stuff that needs to be chopped up you need to also get Recycle (which should be built in imo) to make rex files.. and how the hell you end up with 75 chops? lol.. you must be bringing in like 10 minute songs to chop up! it's all good but damn I would forget which key/pad to hit for what...

I think anytime you're chopping something into less than quarter notes or chopping up a loop bigger than 4 bars you gotta have a pretty damn good idea of what you're going to do with it or you just end up dicking around with it for a while.

Reason 5 is dope. You can layer a couple ways now, make a combinator or you can do layering right in the new Kongs interface. I haven't used it yet for actually recording a sample but you can do that too now.. if your sampling stuff that needs to be chopped up you need to also get Recycle (which should be built in imo) to make rex files.. and how the hell you end up with 75 chops? lol.. you must be bringing in like 10 minute songs to chop up! it's all good but damn I would forget which key/pad to hit for what...
y r rex files so important to people lol and just for those who are intersested u can and have always been able to layer with the redrum I find Kongs way to be much easier though

In maschine you can have up to 128 "chops"/slices, all which will cut each other off, you need to look more into how the Maschine Sound structure works. You are definitely not limited to 16 slices unless you are concerned with separate envelopes and filters for your chopped samples. Layering in Maschine is not work around at all, its mapping. You drag and drop the sounds that you want to layer and then you setup the velocity and key ranges appropriately, takes all of 10 seconds to do really. It doesnt work like an MPC 2000XL etc in that regard, but the layering is quite simple. None of what I mentioned is a work around in Maschine, they are documented features in Maschine.

Ahh, you kids and your computers.. :)

Just get a MPC layer and call it a day.. I used Maschine, and It felt like I was playing with a toy all the lights blinking, Like an old school Simon Says game.. I sold it quick.. I mean you can make quality tracks with it, but why buy a controller that you can use to control your computer when you can get a MPC 2500 or 5000 or even a MV8800 and just be done with it..

I get tired of looking at a computer screene.. I don't turn my computer on until my track is laid out in my hardware and I'm ready to record..

Reason 5 is good.. too, but can't mess with that Maschine.. I should of known better look at how they spell Maschine..

come on guy dont make us old people look bad by talking down on computers. mpcs are the shit I have a 2000 but Maschine was created in the same vain. why not use a computer to make music? makes more sense to me at least

The only reasons I hate my computer for music is because, my computer isnt good yet

y r rex files so important to people lol and just for those who are intersested u can and have always been able to layer with the redrum I find Kongs way to be much easier though

You right, it's easy in redrum too... but how do you use the samplers and chop to keys without a rex file in reason? maybe I'm missin somethin...

Back