FL Studio 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqito

輪唱する
Not quite yet, but the beta 9.5 is out which is a step towards version 10 which will come out 2011.

Registered users can get it here.
Don't forget to also get a new regcode

Here is a video with the highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgcoAAiYpWY&feature=player_embedded

whats new said:
Additions:
Much improved "keep on disk" option.
Piano roll/playlist/event editor: removed "Delete all", cut/copy/delete now applies to all if no (events and time) selection.
Inverted behavior when resizing clips from left side with slip editing.
Prevents early recorded notes when "wait for input" is on but "recording precount" is off.
Improved auto placement of recorded clips in the playlist.
Automation clips & envelope editors: left alt bypasses snap while editing, right alt (& also alt+right click) deletes points, improved step editing (post decimation).
Improved piano roll note display (faster & looks slightly different), ghost notes now really ghosted.
ASIO: now avoids buzzing while lots of underruns occur.
Playlist: tracks can now be resized individually.
F3 in name editor picks last used color.
Added offset feature for better (less bad) DirectSound performances under Vista.
Added new alternate playback tracking mode that doesn't rely on driver, as well as offset.
Added option to mix directly in ASIO's bufferswitch.
New playlist marker options.
Playlist now showing bar #s after 999.
Playlist/piano roll: can now display time segments other than 4 bars (View->Time segments).
Can now relocate project in song mode from piano roll.
Slightly less clicking when switching presets.
Less clicking when relocating songs with audio clips (& granular effect on clips when declicking is generic or above).
Option to move playlist marker content left & right.
Option to play notes crossing playback start position.
Better sorting of MRU colors in name edit.
Improved autoscrolling for some editing features.
Improved playlist Edit->Merge pattern clips.
Piano roll delete/mute doesn't create undo level before actually deleting/muting.
Manual (de)selection now creates undo level.
Shift+up/down now works in playlist too.
New "Merge similar pattern clips" editing feature to merge selected patterns & all their clones.
Playlist: option to disable track grid.
Speeded up playlist display, some new display options.
Time markers now displayed as ticks in main song position slider + their names in its hint.
New "copy/paste value" for envelope (& automation clips) points, compatible with parameter's "copy/paste value".
New "duplicate" (ctrl+B) option in piano roll & playlist.
Event ID ranges are now cached (for speed).
Improved scrolling & optimized refreshes in PR/PL/EE.
"Select time around selection" now selects the zoomed part when no selection.
Activity indicators for playlist tracks.
PR/PL: Insert now cuts events at mouse cursor position.
New "wide tracks" mixer view.
Added support for Cakewalk A-Series controllers.
Added support for M-Audio Oxygen controllers.
Left shift+resize now move splits in piano roll & playlist.
Right shift+resize now rescales events in playlist as well (slightly differently).
Changed "Make unique" and added "Make unique as sample" for audio clips.
Home (begin) key now relocates to the bar that's the nearest to the beginning of the view (ctrl+home starts from zero) in PR/PL.
Improved meters everywhere.
Automation clips & internal controllers don't prevent using event automation for the same parameter anymore.
Changed way channel pitch bend is automated, to allow proper use of link smoothing.
When an automation clip is created for tempo or channel pitch bend, a default "sane" range is assigned to the clip.
Little speedup in Fruity Limiter, Maximus, Vocodex.
Edison/Slicex/Fruity Convolver: holding shift while dropping files appends audio to the existing data (ctrl still replaces regions).
Markers now imported from MIDI files to the playlist.
Little improvements in step edit mode (inserted notes are selected, can now relocate using time bar in PR).
New waveform (peak tracking) view for mixer meters.
Added "Current clip source" list in playlist track menu (listing the clips sources used in the track).
New triple buffering ASIO mode.
Wrapper: added messages while plugin is loading and when it's failed to load
Wrapper: added 32bit bridged mode to run VST 1, 2 and 3 plugins in a separate process, to let them use more memory (not supported for DirectX plugins)
Wrapper: added support for 64bit VST 1, 2 and 3 plugins (not supported for DirectX plugins)
FPC: small changes to saving/loading

Bugfixes:
Little modification in loop recording.
Fixed memory leak in spectral display.
Harmless: little bugfix in oscillator import.
Maximus: fixed bug in oversampling (all times were doubled).
Fixed "black note=hold, white note=toggle in remote control" that was broken for lower octaves.
Playlist: marker relocation now undoable.
Fruity WaveShaper: switching to bipolar behaves better when alt curve point mode is used.
Fixed bug in playlist clip merging.
Fixed various redrawing oddities.
Fixed adapting automation events when changing PPQ.
Fixed window size bug in Slicex.
Fixed minor inaccuracy in automation clips timing.
Fixed EQ mix knob bug in Fruity Convolver when opening it from menu.
Fixed little drag/drop mistake in Harmless.
Fixed odd bug with effect sidechaining when loading specific projects.
Ogun: fixed tiny memory leak.
Fixed little bug in envelope editor open dialog.
Fixed rare visual bug in env editor.
Fixed slight loop recording problem.
Wrapper: fixed initial size of some VST 3 plugins
Wrapper: fixed mouse wheel speed for VST 3 plugins
Wrapper: fixed issue listing plugin i/o after a change initiated by the plugin
Wrapper: fixed knob mode setting for VST 2 plugins
Wrapper: fixed stack overflow when activating plugin
Wrapper: fixed potential crash while loading plugin
Wrapper: fixed problem for some VST 3 plugins
Wrapper: fixed mixing of multiple outputs to plugin track when fixed size buffers are used
Wrapper: fixed update of interfaceless editor when param change is sent by plugin
DirectWave: fixed reliance on MS runtime dlls
DirectWave: fixed resizing of options dialog when fonts are scaled
Envelopes: fixed neverending envelopes with unconventional arp setups.

you are polluting my joy for Reason5 and Record 1.5. STOP IT!
It was fully intentional. We all know how much Reason (and specially Record) sucks... :sing: :p
just kidding. Reason 5 seems like the one version it should have been the whole time. Just like with FL10 regarding workflow btw. It's just a lot more fun making music with this beta than with the officially stable 9.1

Last edited:
Who cares? I hate all the updates for FL Studio. I loved version 4-7 the best. 8 and up blow. They are going overboard with interface features that hinder work flow. I've been using since 4? Damn, I bet 90% of these cats have never even seen it.

I'm going back to version 6 or 7. I forget which one I really loved and ran the most stable.

I still live for Reason though.

I'm going back to version 6 or 7. I forget which one I really loved and ran the most stable.

Most stable? I'm running a beta version here right now almost 24 hours straight and it hasn't crashed just once.

They are going overboard with interface features that hinder work flow.
What exactly do you think was introduced in FL8 that hinders your workflow? The only think I can think of is the change of how time stretching worked, but come on... it was just a 1 click thing you needed to get used to. The end-result was the same either way. To all additions made (like Edison e.g.): if you don't like them simply don't use them. The core program always stayed the same. Only that you get stuff optimized and bugs ironed out with each new version.

Damn, I bet 90% of these cats have never even seen it.
If I was a dick I would say it is because 90% of these cats use cracked copies and don't care about free updates for life, but I won't do that.

Last edited:
the only thing id like to see added to fl. (i think this should be standard in all daws) is somw sort of "freeze" function for the more cpu intensive vst/vsti's being used.

best freeze function ive used to date imo is in adobe audition.

Most stable? I'm running a beta version here right now almost 24 hours straight and it hasn't crashed just once.

24 hours of use huh? LOL. That says nothing for stability. I'm talking about the programs interaction with 100 other plugins, over time use, midi driver reaction, and the many other problems I've seen with FL over time. I've been using FL almost a decade and I know how stable their products are.

What exactly do you think was introduced in FL8 that hinders your workflow? The only think I can think of is the change of how time stretching worked, but come on... it was just a 1 click thing you needed to get used to. The end-result was the same either way. To all additions made (like Edison e.g.): if you don't like them simply don't use them. The core program always stayed the same. Only that you get stuff optimized and bugs ironed out with each new version.

The fact that the program functions different ways depending on wether or not you have a pattern pasted in the playlist, the whole overlapping block playlist with a midi pattern window, shoving features at us that can already be done with creativity, cluttering the interface with feature that are already in the software so people can "find" them I guess. Trust me, I know this software inside and out. Some new features are cool, but the old FL Studio was easy to use and inviting, the new one is cluttered and overwhelming which hinders creativity. The less you have in front of you the more creative your ideas and you will use what you need.

They attached a linear seq over the block seq without a way for them to function seamlessly, and that is my biggest problem. I've been using Reason almost just as long. I've seen almost a dozen updates for FL Studio, and only two for Reason. They don't understand that you stick with what works. They are constantly catering to new producers with gimmicks instead of producing a well though out stable product.

They may fix a lot of bugs but that's because every feature they add brings a lot of bugs with it.

If I was a dick I would say it is because 90% of these cats use cracked copies and don't care about free updates for life, but I won't do that.

It's no secret that everyone here uses cracked mercury bundle here too because "it's what the pro's use".

@ Morning Star: you fully missed the point that you do not have to use any of the new features if you wish not to. The blocks area is still there (yet). If you don't like to use pattern clips then simply don't.
FL9 (9.5)'s playlist can still be used the same way you use the one on version 6 or 7. The only difference being that the clip area is now on top - but you can also drag the separator all the way up and get it out of your sight.

Last edited:
hope the engine is made faster and more competent.
Compared to what? It actually already was.
Either way: It was made more "live compatible" by making loading of new instruments/presets and new songs in general not generate underruns to the output stream.

Last edited:
@ Morning Star: you fully missed the point that you do not have to use any of the new features if you wish not to. The blocks area is still there (yet). If you don't like to use pattern clips then simply don't.
FL9 (9.5)'s playlist can still be used the same way you use the one on version 6 or 7. The only difference being that the clip area is now on top - but you can also drag the separator all the way up and get it out of your sight.

Actually you fully missed the point. I know how to "not use" features. But the interface is cluttered with new features that I find hinder work flow. And some of the functions have changed in order to add new features which I don't like. I just wish you could turn on a legacy mode for the people that don't need this increasingly bloated software. Sometimes simplicity is the answer.

They will always have tons of bugs also because of the programing nature used for FL Studio and the constant adding of features and constantly rebuilding sections of the software that doesn't need it.

Again, look at Reason. Extremely stable, very few bugs/updates, not many complaints on features (besides vst support which is stupid), endless expansion of current instruments, and the fastest workflow I've ever seen.

Give me FL Studio v6 with the new audio engine and support with the Juice Pack and I'd never leave it for a new updated version.

I just wish you could turn on a legacy mode

There is one: use an old version (or a new one but simply just don;t use the new features)
are you ignoring what I say just because.....?

They will always have tons of bugs also because of the programing nature used for FL Studio
How do you know shit about the programming nature of it? It is programmed just like any other application out there.

and the constant adding of features and constantly rebuilding sections of the software that doesn't need it.
adding features is not good? rethinking how old stuff works and adapting it to a modern workflow is bad?

Again, look at Reason. Extremely stable, very few bugs/updates
and yet I see people left Reason because Version 4 changed the sequencer dramatically.

Last edited:
There is one: use an old version (or a new one but simply just don;t use the new features)
are you ignoring what I say just because.....?

How do you know shit about the programming nature of it? It is programmed just like any other application out there.

adding features is not good? rethinking how old stuff works and adapting it to a modern workflow is bad?

and yet I see people left Reason because Version 4 changed the sequencer dramatically.

Nothing you said makes any sense. Are you ignoring what I'm saying. The new features bloat and crowd the gui and workflow now. I have downgraded to a old version but there is NO LEGACY MODE, like you think you have "found" because support for new formats was updated in the new versions which would be nice to have but I don't need all the other crap. Not using features don't get them out of my way.

I know about the programming of FL because I do programming and I've done tons of software beta testing and de-bugging. You don't know because you obviously have no experience with programming code.

Not all NEW features are good. Why must everyone fix something that's not broken. A good workflow comes from habits. How do you maintain a workflow when something changes every 6 months?

Next, you obviously don't know anything about Reason. Version 4 did not change their seq drastically. They made minor tweaks while RETAINING ALL PREVIOUS FUNCTIONS! The biggest change was the look and it's refreshing. Anyone who left Reason because of seq "changes" is an idiot because it's the exact same functioning as before.

FL has changed dramatically over the years. They took a good product and added features till it's the grossly over amped monstrosity it is today. Reason doesn't need to change dramatically. It's too well designed. And so was the original FL.

Your just like every other idiot that thinks that more is better. Till you have so much crap you don't know where to find anything or how to use half of it. Remember it's better to be an expert at one or a few things than it is to be mediocre at a lot of things.

Currently living happily with FL Studio 6 which I've slimmed down even further from 3,500 files that is over 350mb to a whopping 19mb and less than 1,300 files. You keep all your updates. You won't be happy til FL comes with Red book authoring, and label design, and mp3 tagging, and one click mastering.

just curious what programming languages do you know morningstar?

i won't pay much attention to the rest of your post(s) as you usually are extremely narrow minded and ignorant with your posts. i will address a couple of points you brought up though.

in regards to reason 4's sequencer. yes there were a lot of complaints from already existing users about it. to this day people still complain saying that they prefer the reason 3 sequencer. in fact one of the major complaints from the update to version 4 from version 3 was the change of the sequencer. wheter or not you prefer the reason 4 sequencer is irrelevant. to simply ignore the fact that the updated sequencer was an issue with a lot of users means you are either being ignorant or are just not aware of the complaints.

now in regards to fl studio. i like it. i use reason+record but i use renoise as well. if i wasn't using renoise i'd probably be using fl studio tho.

it's all love.

Your just like every other idiot that thinks that more is better. Till you have so much crap you don't know where to find anything or how to use half of it. Remember it's better to be an expert at one or a few things than it is to be mediocre at a lot of things.

Are you bipolar because forums may not be the best place for you for

1. everyone is entitled to an opinion when someone disagrees you don't

have to go jack seal on everyone.You always end up in unnecessary

heated debates.How do you know he's an idiot that's unnecessarily

how do you know he doesn't know nothing about program.Once again

just because your a GOD at music programming and got rare

equipment that only you can use dont mean your always right

just curious what programming languages do you know morningstar?

i won't pay much attention to the rest of your post(s) as you usually are extremely narrow minded and ignorant with your posts. i will address a couple of points you brought up though.

in regards to reason 4's sequencer. yes there were a lot of complaints from already existing users about it. to this day people still complain saying that they prefer the reason 3 sequencer. in fact one of the major complaints from the update to version 4 from version 3 was the change of the sequencer. wheter or not you prefer the reason 4 sequencer is irrelevant. to simply ignore the fact that the updated sequencer was an issue with a lot of users means you are either being ignorant or are just not aware of the complaints.

now in regards to fl studio. i like it. i use reason+record but i use renoise as well. if i wasn't using renoise i'd probably be using fl studio tho.

it's all love.

I do programming in some proprietary languages, java, flash, and C+, but it mostly includes testing and compilers. I just have a good understanding of the commands that programs use to achieve the functions that you use every day. Programming is just IF, WHEN, AND, THEN types of commands. When you can wrap you head around that you can understand the different approaches to software and why some software is so clean and sable and other software constantly has bugs and such.

I don't know why everyone is so bent up though. I never said anyone had to agree with me. I just don't know why everyone is so excited to see updates from FL Studio. It's just my OPINION folks. Take it easy. People act like I'm cussing them out when I talk bad about the software they use. I consider myself to be an expert on FL Studio. I know it in and out. I just don't like many of the new features. I think they are poorly designed. Fruity Loops 1-6 was very elegant in design. 7 was ok but that was when the seq was changed drastically.

As for Reason I'm very in touch with other peoples prospective. I do beta testing for Propellerheads, frequent the forum, and made a living selling it to other people in one of the biggest markets on the planet. The fact is that anyone that didn't like the Reason 4 update didn't give it a chance. I actually held instruction classes where I showed people the differences and how the function was exactly the same but with a few tweaks that actually improve it. Not one person I've ever met has gone back to Reason 3 after I show them. In fact I've never meet anyone that prefers it after spending any reasonable amount of time with it. And I deal with thousands of people that use Reason. SO I don't know where you get your info from but I really don't believe it at all.

Look, you can call around on me if you want. I'm well known in this area in the Pro Audio seen. I know software. Reason functional changes where minimal especially compared to FL.

Don't get all bent out of shape. All I said is I don't like the FL updates. I never said you have to hate them also. But understand that I see feature request post and talk to kids that are saying stuff like "I want cd authoring in FL". It seems like these kids always want something added. I'm just tired of it all. Maybe you don't understand it cause you don't have to put up with it all. I just don't understand the mentality of having every feature possible. I learned a long time ago that limitations spark creativity.

i'm not getting bent out of shape at all. it's probably just your writing style but you come across as very arrogant and narrow-minded a lot of times on this forum. obviously others agree because i've seen people call you up on it quite a few times.

you always do seem quite knowledgeable on whatever subject you speak on though so you're obviously not just some trolling idiot fanboy. it's just the way you bring your point across seems to be always rather blunt and lacking in basic manners. to call somebody an idiot just because they don't agree with your opinion is rather immature.

i do find it a bit hard to believe that you know the opinions of literally thousands of people in regards to their thoughts on reason 3's sequencer compared to reason 4. all i'm saying is that it is a topic that is brought up quite a bit in the props forum and in other forums as well. some people have even gone so far as to ask for a legacy mode where you could switch between the sequencers.

btw on this topic i actually agree with you. i do think that some programs like ableton live and flstudio have replaced functionality with cramming in features to some extent. bloatware if you will. while i don't have that much experience with ableton live (except for having ableton live lite 8 and using it the past few weeks as well as the ableton suite demo) i do know that a lot of users complain of issues with stability. i believe this is a huge issue for a product that is supposed to be used in a live setting. some acts have encountered a lot of problems whilst touring with ableton. i believe glitch mob had some problems on their recent tour. ableton even went so far as to make a public announcement/apology last december in regards to stability issues in their program http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132761

while it was a move to be applauded (openly admitting that your program is currently flawed and needs to be improved), it just emphasised the fact that they were adding too many features without testing them properly. this led to an unstable program.

some people feel that flstudio is going the same way. as image-line update rather frequently they have an onus to keep adding new features (to keep people happy as that is what they expect with updates) while they need to also to focus on workflow and stability. obviously the larger the program grows that harder that task becomes.

propellerheads seem to take a different approach. updating rarely. but each update seems to be very well thought out in terms of functionality and integration. that is why i personally love their products.

everybody has different views on the matter and some people hate the slow development process of the propellerhead team. but i always try to refrain from jumping down somebody's throat just because they have different views to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back