TIP: How to step up your mixing and mastering game.

Morning_Star

ProTools + Reason user
I've been seeing a lot of questions about mastering lately so I though I would post something about mixing because that's where you make mastering a much easier job. This is actually very easy to learn and get better at. Hopefully this will help because it's helped me with my new project I'm doing where I'm making, mixing and mastering tracks with the cheapest gear possible.

First, this can not be done with little pc speakers. Go get anything else. Go to yardsales and get those little bookshelf speakers and a home stereo amp. Chances are that you have one laying around. Thrift stores and goodwills are great also. Just get a Home Stereo amp that works and if you can't find bookshelf speakers buy these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._B1000_SS_B1000_2_Way_Bookshelf_Speakers.html

Now you will need some headphones also. I suggest earbuds believe it or not. I use Skullcandy earbuds. They are only $20.

Before I continue I want to make sure you know that I have real mixing monitors and real headphones. I use JBL LSR4328, DT770, NS-10s, and Tannoys. But I will not be using them for this.

OK, first when you start to make your track throw a limiter on your master channel and turn the threshold all the way up so there is no compression going on. This just helps from clipping. Something I hate. Then a couple spots before that drop a compressor with a 2:1 ratio, soft knee, -10db threshold, .5ms attack, 4ms release, and no make up gain.

I use the Kjaerhus Classic Limiter and Classic Compressor. For the compressor I use preset premastering. And for the limiter I just turn the knob all the way to the right.

Now make your track. I like to make the track with the compressor and limiter because I feel it helps pick the right sounds that compliment each other.

Listen for phase issues. This is the whole reason you need speakers over headphones. You need to be able to hear when you get phase issues.

Now turn off the speakers and put in your earbuds. This is like giving you fresh ears to hear with. Turn every thing down all the way in the mixer. Then start with the kick and put the mixer fader at 0db. Don't worry about if it actually reads 0db on the meter. Then mix all the other intruments in. Then mix in your snare/clap and hi hats. When your mixing the limiter should be doing very little to no compression.

For eq I like to use the BootEQmkII in between the compressor and the master limiter. Don't eq more than + or - 3 db. Now turn back on your speakers to check your mix.

Then gently turn the knob on the limiter until you see some but little bouncing in the master meter on playback. That should get you close. If this didn't help you then you probably knew enough to get this good of results anyways.

Remember there is no mastering presets but this is a great starting point.

Sounds like good advice. but when u say no make-up gain on the compressor do u mean i should just leave on da default 0dB? another thing is that u like that limiter and compressor. i wanna try them out and just compare them to the fl stock limiter and comp, coz that is all i have

cool im going to try this out. Would it be ok to use the COMP-01 compressor/limiter(Reason) as my option?

Good post! There is always room to improve @ the mastering stage...

Sounds like good advice. but when u say no make-up gain on the compressor do u mean i should just leave on da default 0dB? another thing is that u like that limiter and compressor. i wanna try them out and just compare them to the fl stock limiter and comp, coz that is all i have

Yeah, leave it at default 0db. The Kjaehus Classic stuff is really some of the best plugs I've used when you learn how to use them properly. To me they kill the Waves stuff. Especially the limiter. The important thing when using them is not to push them too hard. Just push them enough to get the job done right. I love the compressor knee knob too. Most compressor just have a hard and soft setting but the Classic Compressor actually gradually shifts from one to the other. Very handy.

If all you have is the FL Studio stock stuff make a visit to the webpage in my sig and look around.

cool im going to try this out. Would it be ok to use the COMP-01 compressor/limiter(Reason) as my option?
Yeah, they work the same but I find the MClass stuff kinda crappy.

Still use the limiter to control the stuff when you are making tracks but after your done making it bypass the limiter and compressors and mastering suite and such and then make sure that your track doesn't clip with the master out. Then bounce it down and use any vst host to master it. If you don't have one there are a couple of free ones that support vst on my page.

Listen for phase issues. This is the whole reason you need speakers over headphones. You need to be able to hear when you get phase issues.

Hey man... thank you a lot for this post. I've noticed you give a lot of great expert tips on this site and I appreciate that. So, I take this as Gospel lol.

My question is... what is meant by a "phase" issue? I'm not familiar w/ that term.

My question is... what is meant by a "phase" issue? I'm not familiar w/ that term.

There can be issues with bass notes that phase out really bad, other instruments you can't hear so you turn them louder and louder until they are too loud in the mix, mics placed in bad places when recording. None of that can be heard with headphones on.

There can be issues with bass notes that phase out really bad, other instruments you can't hear so you turn them louder and louder until they are too loud in the mix, mics placed in bad places when recording. None of that can be heard with headphones on.

Hi i'm also not familiar with the term 'phase issues'. I tried looking it up but didnt quite understand it.
What exactly do you mean by bass notes that phase out really bad. Are phase issues more common with lower frequencies?
And why is it that you cant hear these things with headphones? because they dont have natural stereo imaging?

Hi i'm also not familiar with the term 'phase issues'. I tried looking it up but didnt quite understand it.
What exactly do you mean by bass notes that phase out really bad. Are phase issues more common with lower frequencies?
And why is it that you cant hear these things with headphones? because they dont have natural stereo imaging?

Phasing is cancellation of sound by having the same notes at opposite phases coming from each stereo side that cause the sound to cancel out. It's most common in bass in my opinion but it can happen at any freq.

There also can be phase issues with your acoustic environment that causes bad mixing. That's why the environment is so important also.

The only way to hear it is with speaker monitors. How would headphones that deliver music straight to your ear phase out with sound when it doesn't interact with any other sound in between the headphones and your ear?

I don't know why this is such uncommon knowledge. I guess that's why everyone here thinks that expensive headphones are better than cheap speakers which is not the case.

Cool. How come you start with such a fast release on the compressor? I always thought master compressors tend to have a slower release.

Cool. How come you start with such a fast release on the compressor? I always thought master compressors tend to have a slower release.

No, that causes pumping. Also this really isn't a mastering compressor. It's a master bus compressor. They are just used to glue together tracks. More of the mixing stage instead of the mastering stage.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. Would this be the same general rule though for mastering? Or is this just to use a compressor for a little bit of glue and character on the final mix?

Cool. Thanks for the advice. Would this be the same general rule though for mastering? Or is this just to use a compressor for a little bit of glue and character on the final mix?

Well, to me, if the mix is great then there shouldn't be much mastering going on. Just a little limiting and your done. Other than that mastering is just fixing the mix to match the vibe and direction of the song and to make it as pleasing to listen to as possible.

Mastering tools like stereo imagers, bass enhancers, harmonic exciters, and multiband compressors are usually to fix problems in the mix. If you get the mix right then there really is no need for those things. Which is what people don't understand and they think that they need the Waves plugs to get professional mixing and mastering done.

Eq and compression in the mastering stage is for making the track sound a certain way. Usually not to fix anything in the mix if the mix is good.

And for limiting, you shouldn't be able to hear it. If you can hear the limiter change the sound of the track then it's working too hard. Back it of until you can't hear it anymore then back it off a touch more.

Wow...Awesome...My man morning star!.....Ur a great guy...Helpin everyone out like this...I love your site too.....But could u please name a few free plugs such as exciter's,bass enhancers,and stereo imagers?? I couldn't find such stuff on ur site..Maybe i didn't find em...But If u could name some...It would really be great bruh...Thanks again..And U rock homie...

Wow...Awesome...My man morning star!.....Ur a great guy...Helpin everyone out like this...I love your site too.....But could u please name a few free plugs such as exciter's,bass enhancers,and stereo imagers?? I couldn't find such stuff on ur site..Maybe i didn't find em...But If u could name some...It would really be great bruh...Thanks again..And U rock homie...

http://www.uv.es/ruizcan/p_vst.htm

http://www.voxengo.com/group/freevst/

Baxxpander is a bass enhancer
Xcita is a harmonic exciter
Stereo Touch is a stereo enhancer

and StereoTool by Flux is on my page and is a great stereo imager.

But remember I don't recommend using any of these (except Flux Stereo Tool) because you should fix the problems before these tools are needed. Bass enhancer doesn't mean drop this plug on every bass and kick for a great hard hitting bass sound. It means use this only when your bass is lacking, but 99 times out of 100 the only thing lacking in the bass is the ability to hear it through crappy monitors. And usually better mixes have the bass turned down lower than you would like.

Remember...

Bass enhancers can easily muddy up good bass sounds

Harmonic exciters can easily add harsh sounds to a nice mix

and stereo enhancers can cause playback problems and ruin tight sounding mixes.

Back