Music Industry = Blurry

Its because I feel at this point of my life I need to get away, spread my wings. I wanted to do this for a long time but my plans rly never fell trough and I canceled it in last sec. At age 23 its like, I either get to experience college life or I dont at all. So its mo about bein tired and fedup with the situation over here, I have it gd though, gd job and everything but I want mo out of my life and I feel since I have the chance to get away why not take it u know.

Well the school basically felt small and somehow forgotten. It was just my first impression, and no I didint take to any students just 2 supervisors and thats about it.

If you need to "spread your wings" and "get away", then go to *real* college...

If you want something that will actually help you to get a job, then go to actual college...

If you want to do something that will make you a more well rounded person in general and help you in every aspect of your life, including music, just go to college...

Going to a "music school" like Berklee or Juliard will help you to get a job as a music teacher, but it will mean crap to you trying to "make it" as a popular musician (It may help you to have on your resumé if you want to be an orchestral performer)...

If you want to go to a school like "full Sail" or "Five Towns"... I doubt they will help you much to even get a job as a junior high school music teacher, but if they are teaching you something you want to learn and you feel it is a good environment for you, then go... but do not expect it to help you to get a "job" making beats...

To be successful making music or as an engineer, all it requires is for you to be *good at it*... absolutely nobody will care if you went to school at all for music...

If you go to a regular college, they have all sorts of music classes there, too... you can take the music classes *AND* get a real education that will be of much more help to you in your life.

Plus, *THAT* is where you get the "college experience"... at *COLLEGE*! Not at the kind of schools you are talking about...

...and after you become skilled at making music, you just have to wait to get struck by lightning and be able to turn it into a career.

It does happen to many people (it may not be in the exact form you expected, but it does happen)...

...but, I'll tell you, as a professional musician who makes music for a living and who you would definitely to consider to have "made it", I can honestly tell you that of all the people I know who are around me who have "made it", I think maybe 1 person went to "music school" (and it was a *real* music school like Juliard, not a "music trade school" like you are talking about... but his musical education pretty much has nothing to do with his "making it")

...and if you have a traditional college education, people in the business will be more willing to work with you in general...

...and, by the way, I can't think of anybody I know who has "made it" that did not go to college.

dvyce big up for u man, I think you summed it all up.
Im definatly gonna focus on tryin to get into the Entrepreneur program at Queens College and while in NY keep the music close to me. This is exactly why I made this thread to get this kind of response from yall, it took some time to make myself understood but eventually I got there lol.

dvyce, the way your talking about schools like Five Towns is how I started to feel myself, for each day that went by since I visited I felt like maybe this aint the ultimate path to go down. Sure no education is bad, learning is always a good thing like deranged and troupe said, but for me its about weighin the pros and cons towards each other.
I felt like I needed a second opinion from people like you, troupe and the rest of yall that really knows more about the world of music then myself.

I cant say it enuff, thanks fellas lot of love commin dis way!

He seem to be able to make a living of it thats fo me makin it son

Rappers on TV who you really think "made it" sit in my crib and get me to help them study for finals. Beleive it or don't. I honestly couldn't make this sh*t up.

Nomatter how good you eating, you never know when you've had your last meal when dealing with music.

Last edited:
Rappers on TV who you really think "made it" sit in my crib and get me to help them study for finals. Beleive it or don't. I honestly couldn't make this sh*t up.

Nomatter how good you eating, you never know when you've had your last meal when dealing with music.
I believe u, I get wat u sayn..

Back