Who are the artists and producers that are giving hip hop a bad name

forget the music... rap music can be as simple or as complicated as someone can create it. the problem with the songs is lyrical content. there isnt any EDUTAINMENT in the songs bein played on the radio. i would be able to tolerate some of the music if the lyrics were better. right now, the lyrics are TERRIBLE! bein a New Yorker that was a teen in the 80's, i seen how diverse Emcees can get, makin u think about what they are sayin. now, a 1st grade teacher is on the mic these days. nobody's learnin NOTHIN but ABCs and 123s. i thought we knew that already???!!!

da relic

Last edited:
This thread is senseless. No one is "giving rap a bad name". People are opinionated about where rap is headed or it's current sound, agreed, but Fact(no room for arguement)Hip hop/RnB is currently the top music in the industry. No one discusses "who's giving microsoft a bad name", not even "who gave enron a bad name". lol. Another FACT. This sh** doesn't take a rocket scientist. You guys trip me out giving these guys all this credit. Most of them are high school drop outs with no comprehension of a civilized world. They sell drugs on a corner, steal and rob, make it big and all the sudden you think when they open they're mouth they're saying something important? You can hear the same sh** they say on any hood block or any cell block for that matter. There are exceptions, I don't care to get into al of them, but this is what rap is. It's that shallow, stop being so blind you can't accept fact. I mingle with these dudes every other day, all weekend. All we do is drink, smoke blunts, holla at girls, go to the club, get in with guns, get in fights, make songs about it. I'm sure I forgot something, but that's pretty much it. I got a 5th and a zip on my way to N. Hollywood tonight to do the same repetitive sh** again, lol.

"Rap is something you do, hp-hop is something you live"

Man, this is a two part answer:

Part1 - Yeah, artist do bear a certain level of responsibility.
Hip-hop is a form of expression, a culture. When it becomes turned over and marketed for money it becomes rap. That distinction has been blurred in the media, thus young "hip-hop" kiddies born in the early 90's got fcuk up. That being said you can talk about what ever you want in hip-hop provided that it is true to the author. i.e. - If you were really out there slining cane, tell us about it, If you have all the doe in the world tell us about it; about you. Because of the media, we are no left with these country club gangstas, and there hardknocks are so transparent, its disgusting. But its not that hard to seperate real from fake if you listen too and feel an artist and the detail and feeling in which they deliver there ghetto woes. Its the difference between Lil Fame (MOP) and Ja Rule or Jay-Z and Paul Wall. Real heads no who's the tough guys and who's not.

Part2 - Right now the ball is the hand of the consumer.
As stated earlier "hip-hop" has become big business. So big that its hip-hop Purest can't contain it. Its agreed that there is a lot of gun,crack,skeet, Igot and you don't talk on the radio. It's really up to the audience/fans to become educated consumers. Come on now, they way cats talk, half the US is dead cause they shot 'em or sold 'em crack. The other half is either a pimp or a Ho. You got to be able to see through that. These cats rhymes aren't inventive or detailed enough with their tall tales thus, not convincing. Unfortunately, the people decide what's hot not the DJ's like in the good ol' days. So as as long as cats is skeetin' on candy paint and people are duped by it, that's what we are stuck with.

Man to survive as hip-hop or "hip-hop producer these days. You either have to have the balls to find someone you respect and collab and get their product out (ala 9th, Just Blaze, Kanye) or have cats come in your studio and give them what they ask for. It sucks because I know what it feels like to do something you have to do instead of something you want to do. But, honestly this is art and if you don't love art, why even fcuk wit it. Go to school get a real job, you have a better chance at eating on a consistent basis.

Renaissance said:
Name the last innovative, creative and GOOD Hip Hop joint you heard on the radio...just curious.

the last few Kanye joints.
"WHY?" Jadakiss.
"Kick Push" Lupe Fiasco.
i do like "Gettin some" Shawnaa

damn... i think thats it... g'nite...zzzzz....

da relic

Last edited:
Hip-hop became whack when:

1) It became the #1 music in the world. With so many people listening to it, it became about catering to the masses. The masses are not hip-hop heads. The masses are that girl asking you if you have "The Whisper Song" in your crates while you roll your eyes at her.

2) The good MC's started dying. BIG, Pac, Dirt McGirt (OL DIRTY!!!!!!) and being replaced by Nelly and his legion of clones.

3) when the music companies after the 2 above realized that the people who were making real Hip-Hop music needed to be pushed aside b/c if they were able to reach the new generation of the massses the same way the originators reached us, then the jig is up and everyone realizes that the music they are pushing is whack

4) When the idea of the producer/DJ being part of the group turned into the Linkin Park/Sugar Ray vision of a DJ in a group.

5) When Hip-Hop fashion evolved from Shell toes to a 500 dollar Sean John jacket. Now when I see a video, its basically a long commercial, while Jay-Z waves his Rocawear in your face and rhymes about how rich his clothing line is making him.

6) When dope hip-hop acts had to sell out and start making "jiggy" music to pay the bills - see Mobb Deep

7) When sampling was no longer an art and it was cool to just loop 4 bars and lay some drums over it. Or sample the Empire Strikes back song and not chop, just loop it with some drums.

8) when Cash Money signed a distribution deal.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
This thread is senseless. No one is "giving rap a bad name". People are opinionated about where rap is headed or it's current sound, agreed, but Fact(no room for arguement)Hip hop/RnB is currently the top music in the industry. No one discusses "who's giving microsoft a bad name", not even "who gave enron a bad name". lol. Another FACT. This sh** doesn't take a rocket scientist. You guys trip me out giving these guys all this credit. Most of them are high school drop outs with no comprehension of a civilized world. They sell drugs on a corner, steal and rob, make it big and all the sudden you think when they open they're mouth they're saying something important? You can hear the same sh** they say on any hood block or any cell block for that matter. There are exceptions, I don't care to get into al of them, but this is what rap is. It's that shallow, stop being so blind you can't accept fact. I mingle with these dudes every other day, all weekend. All we do is drink, smoke blunts, holla at girls, go to the club, get in with guns, get in fights, make songs about it. I'm sure I forgot something, but that's pretty much it. I got a 5th and a zip on my way to N. Hollywood tonight to do the same repetitive sh** again, lol.

when did microsoft get a bad name lol, and which people do u exatcly mean where giving credit to?.the rappers that usually do all those crimes you mentioned are the low life ones, and if you think rap is all shallow try common talib kweli, kanye west, black eyed peas ice cube mos def all those people and groups talk about meaningful things and how to make a positive change.

MadKhz said:
Hip-hop became whack when:

1) It became the #1 music in the world. With so many people listening to it, it became about catering to the masses. The masses are not hip-hop heads. The masses are that girl asking you if you have "The Whisper Song" in your crates while you roll your eyes at her.

2) The good MC's started dying. BIG, Pac, Dirt McGirt (OL DIRTY!!!!!!) and being replaced by Nelly and his legion of clones.

3) when the music companies after the 2 above realized that the people who were making real Hip-Hop music needed to be pushed aside b/c if they were able to reach the new generation of the massses the same way the originators reached us, then the jig is up and everyone realizes that the music they are pushing is whack

4) When the idea of the producer/DJ being part of the group turned into the Linkin Park/Sugar Ray vision of a DJ in a group.

5) When Hip-Hop fashion evolved from Shell toes to a 500 dollar Sean John jacket. Now when I see a video, its basically a long commercial, while Jay-Z waves his Rocawear in your face and rhymes about how rich his clothing line is making him.

6) When dope hip-hop acts had to sell out and start making "jiggy" music to pay the bills - see Mobb Deep

7) When sampling was no longer an art and it was cool to just loop 4 bars and lay some drums over it. Or sample the Empire Strikes back song and not chop, just loop it with some drums.

8) when Cash Money signed a distribution deal.

You said it all man good job

Last edited:
JARAMILLO said:
when did microsoft get a bad name lol, and which people do u exatcly mean where giving credit to?.the rappers that usually do all those crimes you mentioned are the low life ones, and if you think rap is all shallow try common talib kweli, kanye west, black eyed peas ice cube mos def all those people and groups talk about meaningful things and how to make a positive change.
1, you missed my whole point with the microsoft thing, 2 every artist you just named smoke weed, drink, and holla at girls except 1, and two artist you just named carry guns. FACT. Thanks for misinterperating my whole statement and proving to us you can't f**king read. You're most likely one of the "artists" I mentioned that didn't graduate. If you read my whole post, I stated this doesn't pertain to all artists, but majority of them. i just got back in from hanging with one you just named, and we were smoking and drinking, you figure out which 1.

There are exceptions, I don't care to get into all of them, but this is what rap is. It's that shallow, stop being so blind you can't accept fact.
I'm tired of you ignorant clowns making me quote myself, stop reading between the lines when it's all in front your face.

Last edited:
1, you missed my whole point with the microsoft thing, 2 every artist you just named smoke weed, drink, and holla at girls except 1, and two artist you just named carry guns. FACT. Thanks for misinterperating my whole statement and proving to us you can't f**king read. You're most likely one of the "artists" I mentioned that didn't graduate. If you read my whole post, I stated this doesn't pertain to all artists, but majority of them. i just got back in from hanging with one you just named, and we were smoking and drinking, you figure out which 1

lol how drunk r u really? so if your hanging with them and doing what u say they soppedly do ure saying to me that ure just like them, its preaty dumb to call all these great rappers names and do exatcly what u say they do, u just admited your stupid and not worthy like these rappers, so think about that before u say that about me because u dont even know me. besides your point is useless because it doesnt matter what they do outside of there music, im talking about what they say in their music which are powerful things that are postive compared to most rappers. rap is shallow because of people like you and its not wise to admit that infront of people.

smoking and drinking kills ya buddy so if you think your that smart think again.

The Man did it

1005 said:
fort minor joints.
"Kick Push," the dude has enough balls to wear glasses and talk about skateboarding. Too bad the ignorant fans of hip hop(not the FP members, at least not most) will disregarding for this, even though this makes him more of a man than any of those fake gangsta rappers.

MTV and BET give hip hop give a bad name, cause they always play the worst videos, and they always give the ignorant rappers face time. Like I was watching Dipset and Young Jeezy on MTV 2 for the hip hop countdown, and I understand why their music sucks, its because they are completely ignorant, and know nothing more than their music is.
The Man(MTV, BET) is keeping hip hop down, they turned hip hop against the black community(I'm white by the way, but still it pisses me off that they ruined such a great genre of music, and I hate The Man). Hip hop was something that sturred up rebellion and was constantly telling youth to fight their situation. Now they've turned it to either generic party rap, or gangsta stuff that keeps youth down an tells them to keep hustling, and they make sure to play the real hip hop as little as possible, and any rapper that seems like they're gonna be real, they corrupt them, and the system always has them having to become mainstream(comprimised) to become successful. Plus, they make a huge profit off it too.

1005 said:
fort minor joints.

yea, those guys got me hooked, they're onto something, look for them to do bigger things than they already have.

as for the topic of this thread, no one. You can't really give any music a bad name, it's just little things that further stereotypes that people place on certain genres. People do think Rock Stars are more likey to trash a hotel or sleep with 61 groupies at once. Just like people "think" hip hop stars are just a bunch of crack dealing pimps. I know that's an extreme example, but it's out there, I've heard it, seen it, etc...

People are crazy.

You can't give music a bad name, but you can perpetuate the stereotypes.

theonlybman said:
"Kick Push," the dude has enough balls to wear glasses and talk about skateboarding. Too bad the ignorant fans of hip hop(not the FP members, at least not most) will disregarding for this, even though this makes him more of a man than any of those fake gangsta rappers.

MTV and BET give hip hop give a bad name, cause they always play the worst videos, and they always give the ignorant rappers face time. Like I was watching Dipset and Young Jeezy on MTV 2 for the hip hop countdown, and I understand why their music sucks, its because they are completely ignorant, and know nothing more than their music is.
The Man(MTV, BET) is keeping hip hop down, they turned hip hop against the black community(I'm white by the way, but still it pisses me off that they ruined such a great genre of music, and I hate The Man). Hip hop was something that sturred up rebellion and was constantly telling youth to fight their situation. Now they've turned it to either generic party rap, or gangsta stuff that keeps youth down an tells them to keep hustling, and they make sure to play the real hip hop as little as possible, and any rapper that seems like they're gonna be real, they corrupt them, and the system always has them having to become mainstream(comprimised) to become successful. Plus, they make a huge profit off it too.

That's pretty much it! Being a fake thug is the easy route nowadays. Jay Z said it in Fade to Black! "Rappers are scarred to be themselves."

CrAcKa-JaCk said:
yea, those guys got me hooked, they're onto something, look for them to do bigger things than they already have.

as for the topic of this thread, no one. You can't really give any music a bad name, it's just little things that further stereotypes that people place on certain genres. People do think Rock Stars are more likey to trash a hotel or sleep with 61 groupies at once. Just like people "think" hip hop stars are just a bunch of crack dealing pimps. I know that's an extreme example, but it's out there, I've heard it, seen it, etc...

People are crazy.

You can't give music a bad name, but you can perpetuate the stereotypes.

Sorry buddy I love Fort Minor too, but I don't see them that much stuff consistantly in the future, just because Mike Shinoba has this band called Linkin Park that he's getting back together with. Figure in 2 more years they'll probably come out with another album(Fort Minor that is). But, who knows maybe he'll crank one out for next year.

JARAMILLO said:
lol how drunk r u really? so if your hanging with them and doing what u say they soppedly do ure saying to me that ure just like them, its preaty dumb to call all these great rappers names and do exatcly what u say they do, u just admited your stupid and not worthy like these rappers, so think about that before u say that about me because u dont even know me. besides your point is useless because it doesnt matter what they do outside of there music, im talking about what they say in their music which are powerful things that are postive compared to most rappers. rap is shallow because of people like you and its not wise to admit that infront of people.

smoking and drinking kills ya buddy so if you think your that smart think again.
Once again you managed to miss my point, I said, no one is "giving hip hop a bad name" it's been the same since day 1. You have such a variation that there's something for you nomatter what you're into. I then countered someone else's statement about how intelligent rappers are by saying, no, the average rapper isn't that smart. FACT. 90% of the hip hop industry is high school drop out druggies who can barely speak proper english. As for me smoking and drinking on random weekends, me admitting that is smarter than the hundreds of @$$clowns who hop up on this site with questions like "how do i compress drums with the Waves Diamond Bundle?" can't be arrested behind my post, those idiots are admitting to grand theft, crime is crime, huh? go tell them how bad they are and learn to interperate correctly before responding to my posts.

Once again you managed to miss my point, I said, no one is "giving hip hop a bad name" it's been the same since day 1. You have such a variation that there's something for you nomatter what you're into. I then countered someone else's statement about how intelligent rappers are by saying, no, the average rapper isn't that smart. FACT. 90% of the hip hop industry is high school drop out druggies who can barely speak proper english. As for me smoking and drinking on random weekends, me admitting that is smarter than the hundreds of @$$clowns who hop up on this site with questions like "how do i compress drums with the Waves Diamond Bundle?" can't be arrested behind my post, those idiots are admitting to grand theft, crime is crime, huh? go tell them how bad they are and learn to interperate correctly before responding to my posts.

What hip hop do you like in curiousity? me and a few other people on this forum like the hip hop that doesnt need to say things about taking advantage of women like their animals and telling the world how much you have and earn, taking drugs and shooting and killing people when you can resolve those situations thats the hip hop i rebel against enyway. The rappers i was talking about speak proper english and actually had a fairly good education i was properly talking about the rappers that are in the 10% catagory, and the whole alcahol thing isnt really eny of my bussiness to interfer with its your life its up to you, i take back calling you stupid you sound like you know what ure saying which is good.

Jarmillio is like those dudes that stand on the corner preaching and trying to hand out flyers telling everyone their corrupted and need to stop and learn how to be "good" lol.

I admire you effort ... :)

JARAMILLO said:
What hip hop do you like in curiousity? me and a few other people on this forum like the hip hop that doesnt need to say things about taking advantage of women like their animals and telling the world how much you have and earn, taking drugs and shooting and killing people when you can resolve those situations thats the hip hop i rebel against enyway. The rappers i was talking about speak proper english and actually had a fairly good education i was properly talking about the rappers that are in the 10% catagory, and the whole alcahol thing isnt really eny of my bussiness to interfer with its your life its up to you, i take back calling you stupid you sound like you know what ure saying which is good.
This is something I wrote a while back. Hopefully this will explain to you where I stand, and also put your foot in your mouth about what type of person I am.

"This is me venting on some real sh**, not directed at anyone I work with, all of y'all are my brothers(I'm trying to use the word "niggaz" by true definition only from now on).

I've been dealing with this industry sh** for a second. I'm getting tired of sorry ass rap muthaf**kas in general. I deal with at least 3 different major artists on a daily basis, whether they're looking for beats, need promotion or DVD placement, or just don't have sh** better to do than talk a hole in my fu**ing head.

A few major artists have even gone as far as to blackball me in certain areas of the entertainment world because of company i keep and people I produce for. Nobody respects me, because I'm an up and coming producer and i have yet to produce a platinum album. Oh, they'll bug the f**k outta me when they're broke and don't got a production budget, but "I'm expendable". I'm not that deep in the game, it's nothing to cross me and treat me like sh**.

Real talk, most of these fake ass muthaf**kas hop on TV, act like they doing all this big ****, they're nobodies, not to sound @$$holish, but I'm running laps around alot of these muthaf**kas who acting like they somebody. 5 years from now they'll be forgotten, i'll still be here, producing "album fillers". go ahead and blow your budget on all these big name producers, right now damn near everything on the radio sucks, record sales project this. None of these industry dudes is making any real money, nobody buys music anymore, I'll be damned if I pay $15 for a garbage ass CD with a single on it I "kinda like".

I would say f**k this industry sh**, I'm already too deep in, got niggaz countin on me. Family leaving behind bulls**t cause i'm making a better way for them. I really hate this sh** tho, it's like high school, just cause you go to the school doesn't mean you sittin at the popular table. I never was the type to pretend and fake for anyone. I drive a 2004 Hyundai Sonata, woodgrain, sunroof, leather interior black on black, power everything fully equipped. Your favorite rapper drives some flyer **** that they can't afford. I wear white gold and zirconias, only real diamonds I got is in my ear and that's a cloudy flawed rock. Your average rapper wears the same sh** lies and says "it's platinum".

Niggas gamble everytime they come out, right now rappers are doing crackhead numbers. I make more off selling beats to normal average dudes with a dream to make it than some of these rappers can afford to pay me. So basically I'm selling people dreams. Damn. When I was a kid I watched videos and said 'this is what I want to do"! NEWSFLASH!!!

There's nothing that this music sh** can get you if you can't get it on your own. If you can't pull a b**ch on your own, music won't help. You can't get doe on ya own, music won't help. If you're a failure in life, you'll be a failure after signing a deal. this ain't no escape route, Niggaz flip royalty checks into dope money, niggaz go broke after being on TV, It's time we stop lying to fans pretending it's all bling and b**ches. I'm tired of kids asking me to help them "get on". WHAT THE F**K?!

I do a track for Yukmouth, Chyna Whyte, Numskull, Brix, got stuff in the works w/Blackchild, sending off tracks to Maino, Smilez and Southstar? That's what "ON" is? "ON" is getting your dumb @$$ up going to school and getting an education so you can get somewhere in life where you're not waiting on someone else for every move you make. "ON'' is these white boys who went to school for marketing that don't know sh** about singing, rapping, making a beat, don't even listen to rap, but sit in a record label office the size of my house(and I got a 3 bedroom 1600sqr ft) and have the final say so on everything in my music project.

We gotta stop playing ourselves for less. Then we rap this "f**k school" ****, I dropped out, I'd hate to see my son do the same. I sold drugs, shot at nigas, been shot at, I'd hate to see my son do the same. I wanna see my son be something progressive in society. F**k this whole ignorant @$$ culture, f**k calling girls *******, f**k respect from money you pretending you got, f**k advocating the death of our own people thru violence and drugs, I don't even tell my grandma what i do. I tell her I'm an "audio engineer", so that shows how proud I am of my job.

As a person, hell yeah I'll shoot a niga, hell yeah I'll smoke a blunt, drink a beer and beat a b**ch half to death in a drunken rage, but that doesn't mean I should be influencing a kid with their whole life ahead of them to follow my path. I've come to the conclusion all the doors opening for me right now are happening for a reason. I'm blessed, but with great power comes great responsibility, maybe I'm here to do more than sit at the popular table with the jocks and cheerleaders. I'm starting to think i may be meant to chuck the first spoonful of mashed potatoes in a big @$$ food fight.

I wasted my life chasing this sh**, as much as I hate to say it, I made it. But God Damn!!! There has to be more than this, what the f**k are we doing?! Really?

- deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup Ent."

^^^ This dude right here, he's woken up to it, his mind isn't being kept down by The Man anymore. All the power to you bro...

Back