Understanding EQ / Everthing in its own space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey why didn't somebody PM me to sticky this?

Consider it done! :D

PlanetHitzProduction said:
Hey why didn't somebody PM me to sticky this?

Consider it done! :D

When it was originally posted Mano put it on the FP front page hence why it got so many views (over 40,000).

Definately one for a sticky.

That's why I kept a note of the link.

junyadrin said:
It's funny how people were talking a whole lot of shiiit to me just a week ago for posting a link to a frequency chart that said the EXACT same shhit......I personaly don't get it, but i Guess it's all in the deliverance.....Beats da helll out of me!

Don't take it all so personally dude...there are always gonna be haters and there were people who did fight your cause sir.

Last edited:
Good thread, not trying to knock it, but i've often stated I'm not a mathmatical engineer. Maybe it's just me...but isn't it easier to just hook up a set of PA speakers and make your mix hit correctly thru them than to live by templates. That way, whenever you run into a situation that falls outside of your template your ear catches what math wouldn't.

Music is one profession where numbers can lie. I only rely on them when my ear is confused and that's like twice a lifetime.

this thread is clearly over-processed..

..so many esoteric, wrong and contradictory statements - i don't know where to start..

don't over-hype EQing, at the end it's only "fixing" an error you created before.

many people talk about "colliding sounds" or "everything in it's own space". these problem are usually related to a bad sound selection and in most cases a bad composition/programming. something is wrong with the composition if two similar sounds are played at the same time (assuming you don't want strange overlapping effects).

create space in the composition and sound-selection/recording stage, and not by excessively filtering everything that doesn't fit together.

of course, EQs are very useful, but not essential for a great production.

use EQs when YOU HEAR THAT SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE FIXED and not just because a guy on a forum said that boosting ~100Hz adds punch to your basskick. EQ as sparingly and gently as possible.

avoid EQing "by design" (with a wise sound-selection/recording & composition) whenever possible - it saves time, processing power, signal quality and everything sounds more natural (= more pleasing to the ear).

Last edited:
moses said:
this thread is clearly over-processed..

..so many esoteric, wrong and contradictory statements - i don't know where to start..

don't over-hype EQing, at the end it's only "fixing" an error you created before.

many people talk about "colliding sounds" or "everything in it's own space". these problem are usually related to a bad sound selection and in most cases a bad composition/programming. something is wrong with the composition if two similar sounds are played at the same time (assuming you don't want strange overlapping effects).

create space in the composition and sound-selection/recording stage, and not by excessively filtering that doesn't fit together.

of course, EQs are very useful, but not essential for a great production.

use EQs when YOU HEAR THAT SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE FIXED and not just because a guy on a forum said that boosting ~100Hz adds punch to your basskick. EQ as sparingly and gently as possible.

avoid EQ "by design" (sound-selection/recording & composition) whenever possible - it saves time, processing power, signal quality and everything sound more natural (= more pleasing to the ear).

Gotta agree, 1st and foremost, make sure the eviroment that your recording in is acousticaly set-up(porper spacing of monitor's, mic's, artist, drummer's, etc.,).
Use the EQ as a "inhancement" option, not a band-aid.

^^^I'm glad others agree with me, i try to tone down my post these days because most of these guys swear i'm the dummest engineer on the planet, but when using digital drum machines, keyboard workstations, vstis(any digital source with presets that were put together by professional sound designers), they usually take care of the EQing and dynamics for you. Only thing you should tweak is the dry/wet fxs on the presets 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon, you may come across a bass preset that really needs to be beefed up, or a kick that needs to be cutoff, but your ear will recognize the problem when it's presented.

It's different if you're recording live instruments and analog gear, but if you're doing that, you don't need me to tell you anything.

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^I'm glad others agree with me, i try to tone down my post these days because most of these guys swear i'm the dummest engineer on the planet, but when using digital drum machines, keyboard workstations, vstis(any digital source with presets that were put together by professional sound designers), they usually take care of the EQing and dynamics for you. Only thing you should tweak is the dry/wet fxs on the presets 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon, you may come across a bass preset that really needs to be beefed up, or a kick that needs to be cutoff, but your ear will recognize the problem when it's presented.

It's different if you're recording live instruments and analog gear, but if you're doing that, you don't need me to tell you anything.

Just to put another 2 pennies on the table;
The less compression you place on instruments; A.) The more natural & full the will sound. B.) EQ lightly, VERY lightly. C.) Trust your ears & monitors/headphones. D.) take breaks every 30 to 45 min's to "rest" your ears. E.) Switch between monitors(A/B) and headphones.

^^^Wow, I don't feel crazy anymore. I say this stuff all the time and get crucified on up here. Good to know I'm not the only one taking(or not taking) crazy pills :cheers:

^^^Wow, I don't feel crazy anymore. I say this stuff all the time and get crucified on up here. Good to know I'm not the only one taking(or not taking) crazy pills :cheers:

SOme people just have an natural ear for what we do, and in that case I've been blessed. I have also been blessed to learn from some of the top producers in many fields, along w/ A.) asking questions & B.) a GREAT deal of research on my on behalf.

You would think that such "accomplished" engineers would understand why SOME people may find the info useful . EQ is not onlyt for fixing a sound sometimes it's to color or sculpt a sound to one's taste. IF making room was a compositional mistake all the time then you would'nt hear world reknowed engineers who choose what projects they work on talk about making room in almost any book you can read on the subject.I was once told there is more than one way to skin a cat

I'll stick to not taking my crazy pills, y'all do wtf you do. Hope when it's all over your sh*t sound better than mine, cause you spend all that time tweakin while I don't do sh*t. Just sayin', hope your work isn't in vain.

it's called trial and error what i know works for me as far as making beats or whatever will surely only work for me more than likely

Can you guys please use real words instead of the vulgar words you disguise with stars like *****, it would make your posts more clear instead of us having to guess what you are saying and put in the appropriate words ourselves. Please, its more appropriate and considerate and polite and respectful.......Thanks

Anyway this is a great thread! thanks alot guys for all this information. I, for one, really need it.

In my limited experiance, i definately think this stament is true, however on alot of vsti's and sounds that I get from my keyboard, the sounds are very full and cover a broad range of frequencies, which is good because the maker of the sounds doesn't know exactly how the producer will want that particular sound positioned on the track, but in my experiance I usually do alot of cutting of frequencies to allow all of the sounds to coexist without anything getting too muddy.

All I would say about eq-ing, compression & such, that these are "enhancement-tools", not "let's fix a bad recording/artist-tools".

Start off w/ a good/great product & add/tweak... as needed, not just because you have it in your tool-box, or this is what so & so does/uses... WE ALL HEAR things difft. So what works for one, my not work for another.

Trust & use your ears & not your eyes. Learn to ride a track to mak adjustments, then if needed, use your tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back