TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

thanks for this tutorial bro, it help me easy to understand in terms of making a music... salute!

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamond in the ruff appreciate the info

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Good info diamond in the rough right there

it's a good post and i don't want to be cocky, but may i suggest a few changes?
when noting music you do have to consider if it's minor or major, imagine this. you have a major G scale, and need to write it down. you're not gonna put a b on your G-line at the clef, since that would mean you need to recover that G every time you play your root note, and put the b back every time you want your major 7th.
anyway, that's not my concern. my concern is the intervals between the notes, which were put in a diagram, instead of in theory. i've seen a post however explaining the right way of looking at them, with roman numerals, and their intervals.
major: I -2- II -2- III -1- IV -2- V -2- VI -2- VII -1- I
minor: I -2- II -1- III -2- IV -2- V -1- VI -2- VII -2- I
i wrote the intervals in semitones, coz it's easier to count. this way you can count for your chords. for example, you want a Fmaj 7:
this means you need your root note: F, your major 3rd and 7th.
so starting from F: your major third is 2 + 2 semitones higher, so is A. your major third is 2+2+1+2+2+2, so 11 semitones higher, which means it's 1 semitone lower than your root,and is an E. so you're chord is built up like this: F - A - E. you don't always need your fifth, as with a sus4, your fifth mostly isn't played to emphasize that 4th.

looking at your keyboard you'll prolly see what's allready been explained: there's 2 black keys missing. these are between your B and C, and E and F. start counting the major intervals, starting from C, which is the second note, followed by 2 black keys, then a black key missing, followed by 3, and you'll notice that C major uses only the white keys. do the same for A minor, which will result in the same, since A Minor is the relative minor to C major.

a huge help for me, that was thought to me at the pop and jazz academy is the circle of fifths. i have it hanging at my wall at all times.
reading the wikipedia page on the circle of fifths should explain a lot if you've allready understood the first post in this thread.
this page also covers some other aspects about music theory, like diminished notes and chromatics.

This tutorial is a star as it is easy to understand each of them. I'm not an expert yet and I'm far from being expert but I must say that these chords are helpful. I always consider myself as beginner and we all have our own techniques.

Back