TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

This is good info. If people want more get Idiots Guide to Music Theory. The author goes in deeper about the higher chords.

Great post. This chart is usually shown as a circle (circle of 4th and 5th). As you go through the key signatures, you can also see the 2-5-1 progression. The flat keys move in fourths. i.e F(1 flat), Bb(2 flats), Eb(3 flats), Ab(4 flats), Db(5 flats), Gb(6 flats). When you play F minor to Bb dominant 7 to Eb major it becomes 2-5-1 in the key of Eb. This works for all the flat keys. Another example: Bb minor to Eb dominant 7 to Ab major is 2-5-1 in the key of Ab. For the sharp keys like G(1 sharp), D(2 sharps), A(3 sharps), E(4 sharps) etc. you must go in reverse to get the 2-5-1 progression. Example: A minor to D dominant 7 to G major is 2-5-1 in the key of G. The circle of 4th and 5th, and the 2-5-1 progression is very important...Love your post, this is some good stuff. Hope this helps

This is great…I can identify the notes on my keyboard, but I am pretty much learning to play by ear – I am definitely a rookie. I know certain chords work with certain notes (i.e left hand/bass) and this chart pretty much brings it into focus for me…I still have a long way to go, but this certainly helps.

Learning To Play

This is great…I can identify the notes on my keyboard, but I am pretty much learning to play by ear – I am definitely a rookie. I know certain chords work with certain notes (i.e left hand/bass) and this chart pretty much brings it into focus for me…I still have a long way to go, but this certainly helps.

Learning to play by ear is crucial, I started at four and even though I can read chords and music really well, my ear is still the most important tool. Not on here just to sell books, but I have a book on Amazon.com called "Keyboard Skills for Music Producers". It should help you a lot, only $5.99. I wrote it for producers who want to get a good foundation on the keys without years of piano lessons.

Great post!

I've learned a different technique, all by myself. It is maybe a little hard to explain, especially for a norwegian, like me, but here goes:
Every scale follows a pattern. C Major is C D E F G A B C
Notice how we skip 1 note (in red) each time: C [C#] D [D#] E F [F#] G [G#] A [A#] B C
We never skip 2 notes at the same time.
But it's not like we can skip one, than hit next note, skip again etc. Every second time, we hit two neighbor notes
In this example, those are [B C] and [E F]: B C [C#] D [D#] E F [F#] G [G#] A [A#] B C

So the pattern for major is: 2, skip, 1, skip, 2, skip, 1, skip, 1, skip, 2
And minor: 1, skip, 2, skip, 1, skip, 2, skip, 1, skip, 1

The difference between Major an Minor in this technique, is that the Major scale starts with two notes. One of these notes is the note of the scale name, here: C. The other one is the note to the left for this note, here: B. So a major scale starts with two notes, skip, one note, skip, two notes, skip, one note, skip, two notes:
B C [C#] D [D#] E F [F#] G [G#] A [A#] B C

A C minor scale would then start on the C note, skip the C# and have to notes next, D and D#:
C D D# F G G# A# C

So, I'll pick a random scale: G# Major
G# A# C C# D# F G G#

To producers using FL Studio:
In the mixer you can choose a Effect Plugin in the mixer, it's called Pitcher. There you can see every scale by choosing Major or Minor, and then choose note. (E.g click minor, then D and the notes in the scale will lighten up. D min is btw D E F G A A# C D )

Last edited:
Back